Green Dot Prepaid

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by MX, Dec 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received a coupon from Walgreens for one free load on a new Green Dot card. Does anyone know if there are Walgreens that would accept credit cards to load a Green Dot?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure, but if you use MoneyPak to re-load be aware that you will be charged a fee for reloading your green dot card via MoneyPak. Most retailers charge $4.95 for this.

MX likes this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also depends where you live. The packs themselves say it is loaded with cash. In general at Walgreens in the NYc area all giftcards are cash only. My sister went through a "training" about money laundering and fraud. She certainly didn't sign up for this while studying o be a drug pusher.

4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    ROFL, good one. :)

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  5. pantanal

pantanal Active Member

Status Points:
    walgreens does not accept cc for any prepaid loads

MX likes this.
  6. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume you aren't talking about Vanilla Reloads though... because I have successfully purchased multiple VR's with a credit card at Walgreen's in the last week.

7. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems to be a real wild goose chase to find one. I went to 4 different ones in my area and all said cash only. I didn't bother any further because I found that the CVS' around me work just fine.

8. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree it is hit and miss... I'm just saying that it's not a fact that you can't buy any reloads with a credit card at Walgreen's... it's just a little more difficult.

9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    MMS' readers have said the same thing. It's not 100% cash, but I believe their intent was for it to be all cash, and the lucky stores either have older technology, or aren't up to speed with the rest of the corporation for one reason or another.

10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was curious specifically about the Green Dot. Experiences with VR's have been well covered for some time.

11. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I am debating on whether or not to try purchasing the green dots at my "go to" place for the VR's. If it works it just creates another outlet to earn points.

12. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a pretty good run at Rite Aid that had accepted CCs and had $0 service fee Green Dots. The last time I went in I swiped my CC like usual but the manager then insisted that it had to be done with a cash or debit. For the next 30 mins he tried to refund the cards but managed to only wipe the value from the cards and leave me with the charge on the CC. Hopefully this will be resolved when I go in and meet with his boss on Monday (but talking to him via phone he says they have no record of the paks being refunded) but I have also already disputed the charge. It was a decent run but has left me with a sour taste in the mouth. When these things go south it is just not fun to pick up the pieces.

MX likes this.
  13. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your CC was charged, have you checked if the pak got loaded? If so, you could simply proceed with Plan A and use the pak.

14. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many times I have checked. I checked in the store, when I got home, after 24 hours, etc. etc. For Rite Aid there is a 10-minute hold and since this whole process in the store took longer than 10 minutes I checked before I left and it already said there was no funds on the card. so I knew it wasn't going to be looking pretty.

15. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    exact same thing happened to me yesterday

16. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope your CC reverses the charge now without more hassle. Thanks for sharing your experience!

17. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update: went back to the store. Manager took receipt and the Green Dots. Made some calls and called me backs about 40 mins later. Somehow it got sorted out and he was able to issue the refund.

MX likes this.