Great Wall Sheraton Beijing - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Jslo, Nov 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am usually a pretty mellow hotel reviewer- but I am just gonna come right out and say it. I did not like this hotel. Considering other available options in Beijing this property has some pretty glaring deficiencies.

I was given a suite upgrade as a platinum without asking- which was probably the only good thing that happened. The suite itself was on the 13th floor, very very dated. Creepy even. I don't know if the feng shui was off or something, but I had to move a couple things around in the room just to get some sightlines and light flow. Very poorly lit room, just in general bad vibe. Felt like a set from an 80's slasher movie. The exec lounge was ok, pretty average for Asia. In fact they had a strange policy- when I went to the lounge the check in desk informed me I could bring a guest. A business colleague of mine also staying at the hotel but with no status joined me in the lounge as my guest. Then when we were in the lounge I was informed (very politely I should add!) that since my guest was NOT staying in my room I would have to forfeit my 500 pt welcome amenity if they were to let him stay in the lounge. Which of course I agreed to seeing as he was standing right there. This seems strange, considering that with revenue from two booked rooms he could not get into the lounge as my guest- but had he stayed in my room (resulting in only one room booked instead of two!) he could have gotten in gratis as my guest. Wouldn't they rather have the two revenue rooms booked versus de-incentivizing their own revenue by barring a guest from the lounge? And only getting the revenue from one booked room? Anyway, the lounge is just ok.

I had lightbulbs burnt out in my room which was marginally clean, an old curtain style shower, bathroom was very small. A/C was not really working, the room was stuffy. Peeling paint, stains on furniture, no wifi, only ethernet cable. Antique style 20" box TV's. Just a relic of a room. My pics are doing this room a favor believe me.

Probably enough said, this is a property badly in need of a makeover. One other curiosity is that the lounge was on the 17th floor which looked newer (maybe only 5-10 yrs old instead of 20!)...updated maybe. A big sign on the wall in script said "Elite Floor" and I am left wondering how I got a stale room on 13 if indeed 17 is a newer/better floor? Maybe its a higher rate or something. Either way, would still not be worth it. Would not stay here again given the other SPG options in Beijing. The staff was relatively friendly, but the poor hard product cancelled all soft product staff good will and then some!
    Lobby
    [​IMG]
    Lounge
    [​IMG]
    Suite
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jslo- I have stayed at this hotel as well, and there are certainly many other options in Beijing to consider (both SPG and non-SPG). The location is not very convenient in my opinion either- moving in the CBD to/from this hotel is not easy. Thanks for the photos and the report

Jslo likes this.
  3. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    Despite the overall bad reviews I'm considering a points and cash stay for 1600 pts + 30 USD in August just for a one-day stop in Beijing, partly just to get 1 more stay credit. Anyone care to share any recent experiences?

4. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just returned from Westin Choayang, not the best and not the worst.
    Slightly off tangent, I would visit again for the nearby shopping opportunities.