Great Upgrade and not so great speeding ticket!!

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by gregm, Feb 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hertz at CLT upgraded me to a sweet Mercedes SUV this past week. Only problem was the cruise control was so close to the turn signal, every time thought I signaled right, I hit the wrong control and sped up. Got me a great $189 speeding ticket in Florence, SC!!

2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting gregm! Now that is a funny story! I wonder how many other folks have been hit with this "hidden surcharge"? And, let's face it, there are certain "speed traps" where the "county mounties" sit in wait for unsuspecting visitors, who's cars are clearly marked, with out-of-state tags, if nothing else. It sounds like, at least in SC, Hertz is "#1"! :)
    Newscience

MSYgirl and gregm like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, in all fairness, the pickup location was CLT, so NC, but nevertheless, the trooper was definitely poised, ready to catch me! I saw him, and that's the reason I changed form the left to the right lane, triggering the cruise control acceleration. I even explained that to him, but he could care less. I was just glad he didn't make a fuss because Hertz didn't leave a copy of the registration in the car. The trooper did however, explain another option to reduce the points and the fine. I might be OK going to court and fighting it.

MSYgirl and Newscience like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck if you choose to fight it. The switches being close together sounds annoying (and costly!).

gregm likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. The girl at the CLT tix counter said she had the same car and has had the same problem. I imagine if I owned it, and drove it every day I would be more proficient but.....

MSYgirl likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And somehow the car doesn't display the speed you're traveling at?? Seems rather unlikely to me.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It probably does, but the lever/button in question must have triggered the after burner.

8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course it displays the speed. Have you driven one? The two controls are so close, and from what I have been told, it's a common mistake if not familiar with the controls. Sorry Seth....I forget you're the expert in everything.

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree completely. The little CC lever was very easy to bump when aiming for the turn signal on my last MBZ even after owning it for a long while.

gregm likes this.
  10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the consensus 100% from every other MB driver I've asked. Maybe Mercedes has a deal with the various Highway Patrols!!! :rolleyes: I don't remember the increments of acceleration, but all week, as I tried to be polite and signal, once, twice, three times (since I didn't hear the "click-click" of the turn signal) I'd speed up. Wasn't a problem on the small streets but on the interstate hate hitting the brake, essentially unnecessarily, to shut the darn CC off!!

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm just a horrible driver for paying attention to what the speedometer says every now and then, even if I have cruise control on.

I can certainly understand the confusion and the car speeding up a bit when you accidentally click the wrong one. I'm just wondering how long you were going that much faster without noticing.

12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first day or 2, I actually didn't notice, but since there was little highway driving, it didn't hurt me. (There was construction and traffic near CLT, otw to Florence and only about 10 miles of highway driving right before arriving in Florence.) I was curious why I didn't see those lovely green arrows on the dashboard when I hit what I thought was the turn signal. After investigating and playing with the controls, I figured it out, but unless I made a conscious effort, I still kept signaling with the CC. :confused: Friday morning, after not much sleep, I hopped on that short stretch of highway to begin to go back to CLT and fumbled my way right into the ticket. :(