Great job so far, Jeff and Rick! Now, pile it on!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Feb 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    My DL stock is surging back. Today it might actually exceed in value what I paid for it. Now I'm going to hang onto it for a little longer.

You've been assisted by an economic increment that you did nothing to engineer, but within your sector, credit where it's due.

Great job, Jeff R. and Rick. Maintain the pace. Your acumen is impressive.

Core planks of your successful business recovery strategy include the following:

* giving it to the DL Diamond medallion "gamers"
    * coordinating capacity discipline for TATL with ST partners
    *maximizing the cost and friction of SkyMiles award redemptions
    * driving up yields on YBM. These fare buckets are relatively inelastic anyway, it's all corp spend, nobody pays out of pocket for this. They bill and kill their clients.
    *intensifying domestic FCM

Great stuff.

But there's always room for improvement on yields and efficiency.

Can you make Deltabestinclass.com even more difficult to use than it already is but in ways that aren't obvioust to the hostile user group who know they're being gouged? You've been ingenious in finding numerous ways to do this so far.

But there's a slight problem with this, because the value stockpile of the unredeemed SM is rising. That doesn't look so good on the 10-K. I know, find an accounting justification to devalue the notional value of an SM below the 0.005 or whatever it is now.

Also, couldn't you operate a domestic 763 from DTW to YQX daily? You know, cloak it in shiny DL-eco-speak. "Ecoflight... to see the narwhals!" or whatever Open every seat on the plane to LOW redemption. Ensure this figures in the numerator of the awards redeemed/awards equation. No interference with revenue flights throughout the rest of the system. It will be an example of Delta's unwavering commitment to delivering customer service and it will destroy the enormous and problematic pile of SM.

To drive traffic this way, when people search the award tool on Deltabestinclass.com, add a new featyure that says "We're sorry, there's no LOW inventory available on your chosen route over the next 351 days (or, ever). But DL does offer LOW inventory, every day! Click on the button and the system will show you every LOW level SM seat available systemwide every day!"

Lookee here... DTW to YQX for ten people at LOW! :) Awesome! Book now! FEEL THE VALUE!

Next, AF affaires inventory from US gateways is too easy to redeem at LOW. The DL Diamond gamers particularly like this oversight. Their bookings cause excessive intra-alliance revenue leakage. So, you need to find a way to apply the three (or thirteen, whatever) tier pricing system to all AF/AZ/KL inventory....to "give the customers more options, more ways of getting where they want to go." Or, just to D(ril)L them.

Next, there are a discomfiting frequency of allegations of SHENA over on FT, too. Can't you find a sacrificial goat to be "discovered" and take heat, just to show willing and take the focus off this problem? Jeff, this should be you. Become a GA For The Day. Use disguise. Get it YouTubed. DL cares about system abuse! Finds rogue GA performing Shena! Discipline at hand! Look how much integrity we have! Take it like a man! Good job.

This forum needs a few more plants, too, telling us how they obtained BE awards at LOW to HNL during vac season and so on. It's not real helpful when the most frequently viewed screenshots are my old ones showing the 635k SM redemption from PHL to FCO. Not all of which was in J. You remember. Yeah, that was a bridge too far alright although you've gotten that somewhat in hand. Deltabestinclass.com doesn't seem to show such anomalously high numbers so often now but it shows higher base numbers for most of the inquiries. That's better.

You can't simply gouge them. You should return Woodford systemwide and ensure the disappointed and disillusioned

After a while, their seat 19C on the 752 won't seem so bad and they'll find reasons to redeem their SM on the YQX SM eliminator express.

Soon the stock could be over 15 :)

Then....I can bail and leave you to the wrath of those DL Diamond gamers! Muahaha!

2. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. redtailshark

Status Points:
    According to the blog, we agree. Good for the stockholders and plain bad for the Medallions. Wait, I'm still a PM! Aaargh! What to do?

Ah you guys will get such a kick out of how I ended up with this DL stock.

So I was on a CO MR to SJO just over a year ago. Some of my stock had incremented, not by a lot, but Ms.Shark who was in command at base, sold it. All good. Then she figured, hmmm, sell this one. Now what to buy?

Meantime, I was settling into my nice BF flatbed on the int'l 752 that had been subbed for the notorious CO738 that day, I had great view of the volcan as we took off from SJO...nice food, smooth air, more sun and an awesome view of more volcans grandes over MEX, altogether a great flight. Too good.

Because I returned from SJO to discover.... DL stock in the folio! :eek: Damn Jeff must have laughed his ass off! The DL board on FT would have too. Even more amusing, I was censored there before I could convey this irony to the DL faithful. They would have found this as amusing as you do...O wait, some of you ARE the DL faithful!!

Muahahahaha! On me. Yes indeed.

Then the stock tanked and I was trapped with it. This situation has lasted over a year.

But now thanks to Jeff and Rick's acumen, it seems I'm going to have the last laugh.

Actually I might even have to buy a DL/AF ticket again, because the fueldumped price I can get for their service to the destinations I need in May is about three times cheaper than anyone else's. Are Star miles worth 3x DL SM? No, not even for me. My earlier value analysis indicates a multiple of about 2.4 - which, interestingly, is very consistent with the liability value ratios for MP vs SM in the companies' respective 10-Ks at the moment.

4. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So Delta stock is going up, which is good for you as you have some. You only fly Delta when it is absolutely necessary, otherwise you stick with other airlines that are less Muahahahaha-ish. It seems like you are in a win-win situation here. You are making money, you never have to fly with them... where is the issue? I would think you would be more likely to be sitting and Muahahahaha'ing than trying to post things they could do that would help flyers (which could conceivably impact your bottom line). I am confused all over (except for the parts where I'm not).

mht_flyer and autolycus like this.
  5. redtailshark

Status Points:
    I was laughing at my own situation. I invited you to laugh at me too. But on reflection, you are correct. Own DL stock and don't fly them unless you have to. So maximum net value is achieved.

Being "helpful" isn't a criterion for posting. But if it were I offer some defense.

Like many here, I used to post much more useful stuff on FT years ago. Like MR deals and award subversions. But at this point, it's counterproductive to do so there or here.

Hey I just remembered... I did post a helpful suggestion here just what, a couple days back. PHX-SLC-X-SLC-Y strategy for those who actually want more SM/MQM/RJ torture.

Still maybe my Own-But-Don't-Fly strategy for DL is.....

You.
    Know.
    What.
    It.
    Is.

:D