Great Hotels in Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, India?

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by FlyingFree, Oct 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my award tickets for Sept. 2012 to use BKK as a base to explore two or three great places in Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, or India. My girlfriend likes to stay in nice hotels and so I’m trying to find some great hotels in these countries. So, my well-traveled MilePoint friends, where do you recommend we stay in one or more of these countries?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much are you willing to spend per night? I'm sure that will help everyone when it comes to suggestions that are within your budget. We don't know if you want to spend $100 a night or $1,000 per night. ;)

FlyingFree and uggboy like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great luxury hotels- you are in the right part of the world!

A few good places to start:
    Aman
    GHM
    Four Seasons
    Tri-Sara (Phuket)

There are so many choices actually.

4. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's an excellent question....I'm hoping to use points for most of the stays (Amex, Hilton, Marriott) but might splurge up to $500/night for something really spectacular!

uggboy likes this.
  5. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone stayed on the lake at Leela Palace Udaipur in India? Does it live up to the hype?

uggboy likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few points tips with Hilton and Marriott:

Conrad BKK is a good choice and usually good value.

JW Phuket, while not the Tri-Sara or the Aman, is good if you are a Gold Member and can confirm in advance an upgrade to a corner room/suite for an upcharge (with cash).

On Samui, the Four Seasons private pool villa (if you decide to go to Samui) is worth the money- book through Virtuoso. Alternatively, rent a villa on the island (avoid Chwaeng) with a private pool.

Chedi in Chiang Mai is one of the best value luxury hotels in Asia.

India is worth spending the money for the Amans except in Mumbai.

Cambodia- Aman or La'Residence in Siem Reap. Raffles in PNH (beautiful hotel with wonderful service).

If you don't mind not being right in the centre- and are OK with a business hotel (not luxury but still very nice)- book an executive level room at the Hilton KL sentral. The lounge is good. Alternatively if there is some bonus/way through AMEX the MO has a better location.