Great elite scam!

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jakem4800, Jun 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those of you that are flexible and have a higher tier you can bank on some extra "qualifying miles" some of you may know this already but if you book a through flight like I did PHL-IAH-YVR that collects 2,650 miles (estimate) you can miss that IAH-YVR segment purposely and catch the next one. You already checked in on the system for the last flight so now your earning an extra 1,850 (estimate) elite miles plus your bonuses for both.

Hope this helps and scam it till they catch their own mistake :)

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh.... Why would you do such a sleazy thing? :rolleyes:

wrxmom, Newscience, brfong and 3 others like this.
  3. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The airlines screw us, so why not give them a dose of their own medicine?

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two wrongs don't make a right. :rolleyes:

wrxmom, Flyer1976, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    They might "catch" their mistake and remove the EQM/RDM reviewing your account. I've seen this happen on my own account when I noticed some errors in how flights were being applied and they "fixed" things, some in my favor, some not so much. FF accounts do get audited.

Why would you do business with someone with whom you don't feel is trustworthy, and where you need to be duplicitous to continue doing business with them? Seems like you're asking for trouble.

6. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might I suggest to you that this topic is not in the spirit of what Milepoint is supposed to be all about...

...so instead of “scams”, perhaps you may want to consider concentrating your energy and efforts on your choice of these instead?

This is simply a friendly suggestion...

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it any less sleazy that "direct" flights only earn end-to-end mileage, whereas a connecting flight would earn per-segment? It's not like there's any real operational difference - in practice, it's just a fluke of which segments share a number. I've certainly avoided booking direct flights to maximize mile earning, but I hadn't thought of intentionally misconnecting to make the mileage earnings work out better.

The OP seems to be reporting that (on UA?) the first segment posts as end-to-end (PHL-YVR), not just PHL-IAH. That's a new to me. Thanks for sharing.

B1BomberVB and MX like this.
  8. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping for not a complete shutout, and yes you have it correct. I found this out because the IAH - YVR portion was oversold and I took a flight to SEA instead.

9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't consider that to be particularly sleazy. Just because something does not go in your favor does not make it sleazy. :rolleyes:

10. brfong

brfong Silver Member

Status Points:
    If not a "scam", then this is what the computer posts when you are bumped from the second leg of a direct flight and rebooked on another flight by UA. IMHO, this thread to be retitled as we are not talking about a scam.

seeword and IDGflygirl like this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not the same as deliberately missing a connecting flight- the gate attendant probably offloaded you.

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do realize if we attempt to screw them that they have the last laugh by closing down our MileagePlus account right? :rolleyes:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I endorse scamming, but I do wonder how is this different in spirit from things like fuel dumping that are popular discussion topics here?

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/trick-it.552/

I personally have not used fuel dumping and won't use the method in this thread either.

uggboy, Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is this different than, say, having your home address in a different country when you don't actually live there?

15. seeword

seeword Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a different scenario that my initial understanding of your post. As already mentioned, if this was initiated from the airline's end, then it's just a lucky way to perhaps earn a few extra miles. On the other hand, adjustments can always be made to accounts, even months later, if this error is discovered.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I just threw it out as an idea to follow up on if someone had high status and had the time to purposely miss the continuation . They don't know what your up to and if they catch it oh well worth a shot. I will use the technique purposely again to see if it works. Be my guest, turn me in if you care so much.

17. seeword

seeword Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many situations, such as mistake fares, FDs etc., where one has to decide whether the coveted reward is worth the risk. Bending the lines, is what we do, to enjoy a few extra perks once in a while. Sometimes we are successful and sometimes we need to change the plan. It's up to each of us to choose our own strategy to step up benefits and value for our $ and time. I wouldn't phrase your idea as a scam, but more of a strategy that comes with a certain level of risk, if you are the one to initiate the action. It's not one that I would choose to use, but others might.

Oh, I've already called, gave your Milepoint handle, as well as the origin and destination of original and changed flights and your shoe and hat size. (This is, of course, meant as a joke.)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014