Great Beach Destinations in Thailand

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by merice107, Oct 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are starting to plan our trip to Thailand for the summer of 2014 (I know that is the rainy season but seeing as we are both teachers, that is the only time we can go). We will do some time in Bangkok and then we want to go to a beach destination. Originally we said Phuket, but with reading negative after negative story about that area (multiple on MP in itself), we would feel more comfortable going somewhere else.

So I wanted to ask all of you experts on areas (cities or specific hotels) that you would recommend. I have read Samui and Krabi are pretty nice and romantic, and that Samet and Ko Chang is a little better for families.

Some additional info:
    -We have not decided about whether we are going to use points or just pay out of pocket. I have had many people say that Thailand has some of the cheapest hotel rates in the world. If we do use points, we do not have elite status anywhere nor do we have any points (I am new to this hobby and I am planning on using my SPG points to transfer for airfare).
    -Although we would love to stay at 5 star hotels, we are realistic. I do know you get what you pay for, but I don't want to go overboard. If we do pay out of packet, I am fine paying up to $200-250 a night (although I would much rather pay less than that). If we pay with points, We do not need to stay at the highest category hotels. I would rather get another night or two and stay at a medium category.
    -I like scuba diving and would like to do a day or two of diving.
    -My wife is a beach vacation sort of girl, so a nice pool area or strip of beach is important because that is where she will spend a lot of time.
    -It would be nice to have some areas to go sightsee: temples, market, any other cool culture experiences.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Summer is HOT and relatively low season. You should be able to get VERY nice rooms for your budget and you could spend substaintionally less and still have clean nice accomodations. Hua HIn is not one of the favored beach beach resorts but I have to mention the Sheraton hua hin if your wife likes pools she would be in heaven here. The beach is not the best but the extensive area overlooking it makes for great relaxing. The staff are amazing. It has the advantage of being about a 2.5 hour drive (by taxi or hotel van)
    Read some of the reviews if you are considering it.
    I've been to Phuket many times and won't go back. I am so sad about what it has become.
    You haven't mentioned how long you plan to stay it would help making suggestions.

Kalboz and merice107 like this.
  3. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were thinking about 4 days, but that could increase if the prices are just too good pass up :)

Kalboz likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might try the Perhentians- even though that's in Malaysia.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    miles and smiles and Kalboz like this.
  6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Krabi is the launching point to Rai Lei island. Rai Lei has many spelling version but you get the drift.

Rei Lei has a great long beack strip mostly secluded and is known as a famous rock climbing site for international climbers.
    Highly recommend Rai Lei about 1/2 mile off of Krabi.

http://www.russkahn.com/thailand/railei.html

Kalboz likes this.
  7. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm leaning towards the Krabi area over the Koh Samui. It seems to have more of those picturesque tall limestone cliff islands. I have had people tell me the weather is better on the gulf side during the months of June/July. Is it that much better? Is going to Krabi in June going to mean rain non-stop every day? Has anyone been there during that time?

Kalboz likes this.