Grand Wailea, Maui, Hawaii - Waldorf Astoria - NOR1 Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by schnitzel, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I'm going with my wife for four days - kids stay home!

With NOR1, I can get "Close Proximity to Pool/Lagoon" or "Chapel Wing Room" for $39/night extra, or "Ocean View with 1 King Bed" for $39/night/standby.

Currently I have "Deluxe Garden 1 King Bed."

Any recommendations? Of course, I want it to be nice. But is anything here worth $156 potentially to anyone? Is a Chapel Wing room nicer - it says it's closer to the beach, which is nice I guess, but I also assume that means it's further from the commerce and car.

I'm also assuming my lowly Silver HH status gets me basically nothing here.

2. freeloader

freeloader Silver Member

Status Points:
    i stayed on an award there last year and had the garden room. it was great. the only thing i'd consider upgrading for is the ocean view, and thats a maybe. for me it wouldn't have been worth the $156 but YMMV depending on how much you value that kind of thing

schnitzel likes this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would "garden" mean I can walk out a sliding door to the world, and, if so, is that useful there, or does that mean no privacy?

4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Garden" in Hawaii typically means "not ocean". You may look out on a garden, a lawn, a parking lot, a dumpster. The Grand Wailea is a high-rise property, so you would most likely open a sliding door onto a balcony overlooking something not an ocean.

schnitzel likes this.
  5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's hoping that HH SIlver at least = "not dumpster"

6. freeloader

freeloader Silver Member

Status Points:
    no, don't worry. there wasn't a dumpster in sight. the grounds are kept quite nice, so its a pleasant view no doubt

schnitzel likes this.
  7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking I'll just let it be and save my money unless anyone has a strong feeling here.

8. stpat1
    Original Member

stpat1 Silver Member

Status Points:

Stayed there during an off peak time and had a chance to look at a garden room prior to checking in and decided since I was staying with no kids for change that we would spring for something with a view and was happy that we did in our case (they even gave me an upgrade even though I had only silver status with Hilton). On the way back to our room on occasion we would walk by some of the garden view rooms and we were very thankful we didn’t stay in those particular rooms…not to say they are all bad but there are some that open right into some high traffic areas. Whatever you end up doing you’ll likely be just fine…we spent almost all of our time on the beach anyways…

9. LLM

LLM

This is second hand from a friend who was Silver and I advised not to pay for an upgrade in advance as occupancy is so low. She explained sweetly at check-in that she was using her HH points for the first time for their first real vacation in five years. They were given OV in the Napua (?) building with lounge access and a marvelous lanai. The rate for this room was $1400/night but the property was maybe 35% full.

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

I'm Silver, but I'm paying, and I think they're pretty full when we go. But I'll ask nicely and see what they can rustle up.

11. stpat1
    Original Member

stpat1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is basically the same thing that happened to us...we paid for the cheapest view room and was upgraded to the same type of set up...I told the same story about we hadn't been away without the kids for a while and stuff and the guy took pity on us. It was a pretty sweet room.

12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the line about being away without the kids rings absolutely true for us, so I'll trot that out.

I'm so ready to go that I think I'll be happy with anything at this point. I haven't been on a plane in maybe three months!

13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if there's a way to email the concierge at the Grand Wailea before I get there? I want to do some planning and get some advice, and with the time change . . . or does anyone have a recommendation for a good local scuba trip company?

14. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We always use Mike Severns Diving.

http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/

Very good divemasters, maximum twelve divers in two groups. They will put more experienced divers in one group, they dive slow and let you stay down as long as you have air, let you leave the group if you have the experience to handle it. Operation is run by a marine biologist, so they know where the cool stuff is. Best dive operation on Maui, IMO.

schnitzel likes this.
  15. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the rec! I just sent them an email.

16. PDX1KWanabe
    Original Member

PDX1KWanabe Active Member

Status Points:
    The "garden" view can be quite nice as the grounds are beautiful here. FYI, the dumpsters are in the back by the parking garage :)

This hotel is amazing, you will enjoy any room.

schnitzel likes this.
  17. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm back! Yes, I enjoyed my room immensely. I could see the ocean a bit, and the gardens fully. I'm glad I didn't spend money on an upgrade.

18. PDX1KWanabe
    Original Member

PDX1KWanabe Active Member

Status Points:
    Glad you had a good time. I was there in October and got upgraded to a suite in the Napua tower. I'm guessing the fact that I'm diamond and mentioned that i was proposing helped! We will definitely be going back again!

19. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My check-in agent was the least-great part of the trip, so no upgrade there, for sure. She gave us a $40 off coupon for the restaurant (mediocre) but that was it.

20. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it worth it to stay a few nights on points (160K)? We are going to be in Maui for 5 days... we are spending 3 days at the Hyatt Regency using Cap One gift certs..... noticed that the last 2 days of our stay opened up on points at the Grand Wailea.... something that wasn't available when I ordered the Hyatt certs. I am reading some very mixed reviews on this property. A lot of complaints about the "valet" only situation etc.... we have a 7 year old so we thought he would love the pools and such. We have never been over to the Wailea area so we thought it might be interesting to split up the stay...

21. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you and your son enjoy biking... a touristy, but very cool experience is the Bike down Haleakala tour... Get up in the middle of the night, and be driven up the volcano to view the sunrise.... which was awesome and be sure to look behind you.... then bike downhill to the bottom of the volcano... entirely downhill. Did this and it was very easy, and so much fun!

From NYC likes this.
  22. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - the valet racket is a pain, but typical of high-end hotels. If you go, don't let $20/day spoil your trip at a very nice place. For a seven year old, yes, I'd say this place promises to be quite a bit of fun.

wheat27 likes this.
  23. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the Grand Wailea is a great choice if you have kids. Just got back from Hawaii and the pool there is great. Only question would be around whether the novelty of the multiple slides, water elevator, lazy river, rope swing and such would wear off quickly. Makena beach is just south of Wailea and a great quiet place to get away from the crowds of the beach at the hotel. Kihei is just north of Wailea and will provide a good number of affordable food options. I haven't stayed in Lahaina but based on my visit there, I prefer the Wailea area since old town Lahaina only required one evening for me.

24. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at Grand Wailea a few times now and absolutley love it, the mandatory valet fee certainly will not keep us from coming back. To be completely honest, the self parking was tough ,with tight spaces and not many extra ones if the hotel was full, I would just prefer it was part of the resort fee which is waived on award stays as I don't feel there should be any mandatory fees for a free award stay.

Certainly a great place for kids with the slides and water elevator (can be fun for the adults too after some time at the grotto bar) but the adult pool area is great for relaxing if you don't have children and prefer to be away from the noise.

I definitely recommend the hotel especially if you can manage it on points.

25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Self-park? I didn't even have that option. How recently was that?