Grand Hyatt Washington, D.C. Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by From NYC, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a one-night stay there about a week and a half ago, and I would definitely stay there again. Was contacted before I arrived and received a very prompt reply when I wrote asking about Metro directions from Union Station. Was upgraded to a Club floor and found the evening setup perfectly fine. Breakfast was also good, though I would've liked an oatmeal option, which I've been told will be there in packets.

At the front desk when I checked in, I asked if I could take breakfast in the main restaurant as an alternative, and a coupon was immediately written out for me.

I even found that the GM was watching the thread for the hotel on FT as he referenced a comment I'd made there without my having done so in an email to him.

No, not the fanciest looking place, but great placement for various activities and sites in town and very easy to get to from Union Station. As I wrote at the start, I'd definitely stay there again.

mht_flyer and rajuabju like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one of those properties that you hope a 3A breakfast rate appears just so you can do the buffet breakfast off the lobby.

3. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a Diamond, so was given the upgrade to Lounge, but asked about buffet'ing instead and it was happily offered. But being AAA and getting that benefit is a bonus if not at that level.

4. jean9nine
    Original Member

jean9nine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, not the fanciest place but perfectly serviceable and the location can't be beat if you're using public transportation or walking to see the sights. It can be a true bargain when there are no conventions in town, and the service has consistently improved over the past few years.

5. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, I had an interior-facing room. This is one of those hotels with tall atriums, and was on thte top floor, the Lounge level. Room key has to be put into the elevator for it to take you up to that level. Would try an outside room next time.

6. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The outside rooms have noticeable higher noise level. Not recommended if you're a light sleeper or sensitive to noise without good ear plugs.

7. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are Diamonds getting complimentary suite upgrades here without use of the upgrade awards? Even without such upgrades, this property has been pretty good to me and flexible with requests I've made.

Is it still quite routinely asking for AAA cards if using the AAA rate?

8. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd thought that would be the case, but there's also an echo issue when there's some late-night revels on the weekend when in an interior room.

9. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not get a complimentary suite upgrade. Upgrade to the Lounge floor was it.

10. jean9nine
    Original Member

jean9nine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same Diamond experience for me. Upgraded to club floor only, when not using a confirmed suite upgrade.

11. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my favorite properties for a quick stay credit during weekends when I hotel hop.

12. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found the room quite comfortable. Also stayed on 12th floor Grand Club level. Main complaint is difficult to reach toilet flush handle in room.

Biggest plus is direct interior access to Metro Center for quick access to public transportation to other areas.

I found the lobby to be one of the most stylish, aesthetically eye-pleasing properties in D.C.

Room doors are loud when closed as I was sick in bed and constantly hearing doors slamming this weekend.

13. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just returned from the GHDC. There were lots of construction / jackhammering noise for rooms facing H Street up until 4-5am. No water during the day on different days for different rooms. Overheard many passengers in the elevator complaining that they couldn't switch rooms due to the hotel being sold out for conferences.

I was given the renovated Grand Suite for using the diamond upgrade. It was pretty grand: a bathroom at the entrance and a great bathroom with whirlpool tub and a separate shower area, marble floors, living room with a sofa sitting area and a dining table, a mini fridge, TVs each in the living room, bedroom and in the bathroom. Unfortunately, all the Grand Suites faced H Street. The VIP Manager was responsive and apologetic, and moved me to an atrium room. Staff were all very nice and gave me a 4pm check out as requested. I would still stay at this hotel because it's got a nice location with good service, but would forego the suite for an atrium room.

gleff likes this.
  14. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    How's the staff & service at this hotel? I've got a complicated itinerary /w them in March and wondering what to expect....

Basically, I'm going to DC for a conference. So for the 3 days of the conference, I booked through the conference's website, using their special rate (not via the Hyatt website). But we also going to go 3 days earlier, which I booked through Hyatt, and stay 1 day after the conference ends, which was also booked through Hyatt. So although I'll be there for 7 consecutive days, its under 3 different reservation confirmation #'s.

When I spoke /w Diamond CS, they said right now, they couldnt do anything for me, because the conference has simply reserved a large block of rooms, and they dont know what particular room is assigned to me (they dont have my conference reservation confirmation yet). In fact, when I called up the Conference's hotel coordinator, she told me they wont send all the Hyatt confirmations to Hyatt until February 2012, only a month before the conference!

Of course, I absolutely DONT want to be changing rooms multiple times. Honestly, even though I'm Diamond, I dont care about any upgrades at this point, I just want to be allowed to stay in 1 room the whole time. Any options? Or just wait until Feb and call then and pray?

15. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Phone the hotel and ask to speak to the reservations manager, or send an email to their main address, and let them know exactly what you’ve written here. Include all confirmation #’s, including the conference one, so that you can show that you’ll be there before and after the conference dates. If you don’t already have a Gold Passport number, join up and get one before you contact the hotel; always better to be a member of the club before you ask for any favors, even if you don’t have status. Let them know your room preferences, and ask if they’ll accommodate and let you keep that room throughout. If there’s anything else you’d like, price break or whatever, let them know.

Good luck.

16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't stayed at a Hyatt in years, but going to give this property a try and try out the Plat status I got from Milepoint. Not expecting much with plat status however, when comparing prices, this for a weekend stay was about 25 dollars cheaper a night than the Capital Hilton (usually stay at Hiltons).
    Grand Hyatt looks pretty nice and the website said they had a direct entrance from the Metro Center station, which is good.

17. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    'Direct access to metro' should be taken with a grain of salt- connected via an office tower, atrium and long twisting hallway access would be more correct description. Still a great option esp from Reagan, just a bit misleading if it is your first trip to the hotel via public transit.

mht_flyer and From NYC like this.
  18. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, basically it should say "you don't have to go outside"

:)

southender likes this.
  19. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your breakfast is included at Grand Hyatt, they have a very decent breakfast buffet with more items than you'd see down at Capitol Hyatt. They draw a lot of locals in on the weekends at Grand Hyatt just for the breakfast buffet. Hotel photos

mht_flyer likes this.
  20. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Staying at this property this week. Check-in was quick and pleasant; my room was ready when I checked in at 8:30AM this morning. Lounge now offers two hot items - egg dish and oatmeal. The setup is similar to the lounge at Grand Hyatt New York. The evening spread is not exciting...some crudites and a hot pastry dish. I did ask during check-in if I could have breakfast at the restaurant but was told no. Room is cleaned but the ac unit is too loud. Requested turn down service but it didn't happen today.

uggboy likes this.