GRAND HYATT TAMPAY BAY - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by sophiegirl, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Four night stay in which Diamond upgrade was used. Cannot describe suite as we received a substantially better than usual upgrade due to a reservation issue before our arrival....but I will say this - you should hope you have a reservation issue because the VIP Suites on 13 are gorgeous.

Check in was friendly, but room was not ready. (I was early) Only had to wait a half hour or so, which was nice and certainly fair. As wireless did not work without being checked in they gave me a wireless card with free minutes. Nice gesture since my wait was not their issue.

Another hotel had sent an amenity tray, which was delivered ASAP after I entered suite. Cheese tray and red wine....quite nice. As I cannot drink red wine, asked if I could have white or sparkling, and switch was made with no apparent issues or attitude. Again, quite nice.

Club lounge in this hotel has a beautiful view, especially at sunset. Food is well arranged, and different than the usual cheese and crackers. Some was so "exotic" even I wasn't sure what it was [​IMG]; but it was presented well. Honor bar, etc. Breakfast was pretty standard - but again, kept fresh, clean and lounge hostess was always around to assist if needed. We were there on Fri (but staying through the weekend) and as the Club closes after breakfast, she had prepared us a small bag with waters, fruit, breakfast bars, etc. I know I keep saying it - but, very nice and certainly not usual IMO.

Breakfast on the weekend was served in the restaurant, which is where the tiniest (and only) glitches occurred. Buffet was plentiful, but I prefer fresh cooked eggs and requested same. Waited. Waited. Waited. Waitress brought check, at which time I reminded her that I had not yet received the eggs. Waited more. They did finally arrive, and were prefectly cooked. Manager came over and apologized...really OK, no worries. . Next AM we are seated, same waitress, who asks if we want the fresh cooked eggs again. Yes. Waited. Waited. Waited - but new twist - eggs came not cooked. (I order over hard well done) Yellow was everywhere. ICK. Waitress is mortified, gets manager, who takes one look at my plate and says "Oh for God's sake how hard is this - it's eggs!" and whisked them away. Would not have wanted to be egg cooker. New eggs came, perfectly cooked. Really not a biggie, rather funny....especially when the manager comes back and says " your breakfast will be comped". Manager said the restaurant would be remodeled soon.

Parking is great at this hotel, very close, no need for valet; well lit garage. Did not visit fitness center. Housekeeping was on top of things - requested Bergamot amenities on the first day and received them everyday. First ever - received bath salts to use in the jetted tub! Kuerig coffeemaker, selection of coffee, teas, and even cocoa. Wow. Check out was a breeze..but didn't want to leave!

Management/ownership of this hotel has changed, as has the GM. Previous stays were kinda sorta OK - some good, some bad. No longer. Except for the egg thing (which was really funnier than any kind of problem) stay was great from start to finish. Rooms are slightly tired...but understand they are on the plans for a rehab, too. And no matter what.....you have that great bay view. Gotta love it.

2. Seems like an odd place for a "Grand" Hyatt but it's not a bad property. It's suprisingly close to the airport, but the access is a little tricky for a first timer. I have always been treated well there, and it's usually not that much more than the airport hotels.

OceanBreezes, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checked in here on Friday and was offered bottled water or champagne at the front desk. Then I was informed I had been upgraded to a VIP Suite facing the bay on the 10 Floor. The features were the same that the previous poster described.The hotel has redone their amenity options since my last visit and it seems they offer better food than before. Due to the weekend the Grand Club was closed, but I was given the 2,500 without asking. Also the hotel will be starting a major renovation next April. I will post pictures when I get back home.

4. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a "Grand-come-lately," it wasn't originally a Grand and for some reason Hyatt promoted it.

I think I was in one of those VIP suites also, but I'm not positive, it was a corner suite on one of the higher floors. The room struck me as decent but dated.

Parking is quite convenient. I would stay here again, but not get excited about the prospect, if I was in Tampa and had a rental car -- you're pretty isolated here without a car.

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice review ... this is the site for the next FTU. Wondering if the Club Lounge will be open during that weekend!

OceanBreezes, gleff and uggboy like this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh I dunno, 2500 points for a closed club lounge is pretty cool... :)

OceanBreezes and Kalboz like this.