Grand Hyatt Taipei

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by pokerhammy, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Enjoyed a one night stay in the spring. The hotel is in a good location across from the Taipei 101. Both rooms reserved with diamond status got upgraded to club level (although not initially but after seeing it was a treat for Mom the agent was nice enough to have us stay near each other on the same floor). Friendly and efficient service. Beautiful lobby, nice rooms, and a fantastic lounge with a great variety of food. Didn't care for the dates and candies amenity.

IMG_3262.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3269.JPG IMG_3268.JPG IMG_3270.JPG IMG_3265.JPG

2. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The club was grand:
    IMG_3277.JPG IMG_3282.JPG IMG_3276.JPG IMG_3278.JPG IMG_3279.JPG

3. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed there after EWR-FRA-NRT-ICN-TPE, the bed was sooooo comfortable after all that flying. Next morning was the Taipei Marathon and we ate breakfast in lounge while watching the start of the race.

uggboy likes this.
  4. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks pretty delectable. Yum. Can't wait to try it out.

uggboy likes this.
  5. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pokerhammy, great report! Your pictures of the room and lounge bring back (not so happy) memories for me. I would've thought they have changed the decor by now...

6. Bradley
    Original Member

Bradley Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this may sound like a weird question, but does anyone know if this hotel is haunted. A friend told me it is, and told me stories about how the front desk knows what rooms are more or less haunted. Anyone have any knowledge/experience with this?

Tenmoc and uggboy like this.
  7. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Supposedly there are old prisoner ghosts hanging around, that's why the two yellow scrolls are hung in the lobby to ward them off. I didn't see any, perhaps because I don't believe in this kind of stuff. [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A wonderful hotel indeed, thanks for the photos, we had stayed there recently for two nights in April 2010, in a Grand Room // no Club Lounge access // but we enjoyed it very much, loved the location, loved the atrium, loved our room, and the building itself is stunning and indeed grand in our opinion. Here I attach two photos, one from the building and one from the atrium, all listed in our Flickr account, hope you like it?

[​IMG]
    Lines of Pleasure // Awakes the Mind and Refreshes the Soul // The Grand Hyatt Taipei // Taipei // Taiwan by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // SENSE ], on Flickr

^ The Atrium // Wonderful

[​IMG]
    Architectural Pleasures Abound // The Grand Hyatt Hotel // Taipei // Taiwan by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // SENSE ], on Flickr

^ The superb and indeed grand, GRAND HYATT TAIPEI

Hope you all like to stay there too, a great property and we hope to stay there again in the future too and have the opportunity to try the Club Lounge as well, on our recent stay, it was more about have a great base near the Taipei 101 and spending a bit sightseeing of Taipei, next time as we know Taipei now better, we want to spend more quality time in the hotel, a great property.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. chiweipan

chiweipan Active Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there in early April, and they even provided a free bottle of coffee or tea for GP members, which was nice!!

uggboy likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder, I too remember this amenity available to us as GP members! Have seen this at many Hyatt properties all over Asia! We really like this!

Kalboz likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a quick trip to Taipei and will spend four nights at the GH, broken into two sets of two by a night at an SPG property nearby to make it two stays.

I'll be by myself and generally don't need a lot of space. But I still have three suite upgrades. Anyone have experiences with using them at this property? Club access is ultimately what I care about -- will a revenue room as a Diamond pretty much guarantee that at this property or does burning the suite upgrade increase my chances? (again, the extra space isn't that important to me if I am by myself; I am not going to Taipei to hang out in my room).

uggboy likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spent four nights (2 x 2 separated by a night at the W nearby) at the GH Taipei last month. Nice hotel with friendly staff. Diamond amenity was half a bar of their (artisan, I presume) chocolate. Loved the pool area -- perfect for a nice swim after a hot day of sightseeing.

Grand Club was nice, but I wish the staff would reign in on children running around playing catch around the food tables and other guests (ignored by their mothers). Nothing grand about that. Same goes for the two "gentlemen" who were apparently too cheap to rent office space and thought it would be perfect to camp out with their three laptops and piles of paper in the middle of the RC, occupying three tables for at least five hours. They were apparently working on some sort of multi-media product which involved playing videos/music clips over their laptop speakers for everyone to enjoy.

uggboy likes this.
  13. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Concur with the generally positive reviews. I used a diamond suite upgrade and got a room built into one of the inside corners of the building. The sitting room was sizable, and each room had its own window. We also had two full bathrooms, which was surprisingly nice. An odd room, but pleasant, and probably worth burning the upgrade on. The diamond welcome amenity was some chocolate-dipped candied orange slices, and I was NOT offered a choice of amenity.

The lounge is good: the evening hot food selection was moderately limited but very tasty, and they rotated the menu every night. Breakfast includes an omelet station and is otherwise complete, but the service was very much lacking. The full breakfast buffet in the downstairs restaurant was impressively extensive, including full spreads of Japanese, Chinese, and European/american breakfast choices. Service was almost non-existent. Downstairs was definitely the better choice for variety of food, but the quiet of the lounge was appreciated, too.

uggboy likes this.
  14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see the pounds being added over the course of my 3-day stay in April! Maybe I should call to use one of my suite upgrades.

uggboy likes this.
  15. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    The locals seem to think it's haunted.

Beautiful suite (got the diamond upgrade easy enough), nice restaurants, very handy to the 101 building, etc..... But after I read a few articles about the history, I slept with the lights on ;)

Kalboz, cennas and uggboy like this.
  16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)

Kalboz, cennas and Global Explat like this.
  17. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend of a friend who had worked there said that the hotel was indeed haunted. Apparently the staff knows which rooms are haunted and which ones aren't. If I'm ever there, I'll be sure to be super nice to the check-in staff so that they don't put me in one of the haunted rooms ;)

Global Explat, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  18. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I might ask for a haunted room so I can take it out for a spin myself if I am ever there. :)

Global Explat and uggboy like this.
  19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here a few weeks ago. Posted a review on my website. Lots of photos. http://www.sitinfirst.com/2012/05/grand-hyatt-taipei/

Overview: A quality (if aged) western business hotel in the heart of the CBD
    Strengths: Service, breakfast restaurant, location
    Weaknesses: Rooms are getting old

My room did not seem to be haunted. (Though as I'm writing this, seriously, a big clap of thunder erupted outside! :eek: )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NYCUA1K, uggboy, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  20. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand amongst the Chinese (even those from nearby countries) say this place is haunted. Let me dig a lil further for a reason why they say this.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  21. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes! I hate ghost stories, especially in a hotel setting!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  22. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently the area used to mass murders from a War of some sort. (According to my .tw boss)

23. jlin17

jlin17 Member

Status Points:
    Wow, hotelclub ranks this as #1 ghost hotel in Asia:

24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL! I am going to Taipei later next month to visit an old (girl)-friend who recently left NYC to live inTaipei, where she is from. I told her that I was planning to stay at the Grand Hyatt, since there are no Hilton properties (??!!) where I would have stayed as a HH Diamond, and I just got the Hyatt Platinum status through the United Club card and wanted to check out this new loyalty program. The friend just wrote me a short while ago to warm me:
    Should I be worried about being kept awake by things that go bump in the night and book my stay elsewhere?:p

maradori and edekba like this.
  25. robinkao

robinkao New Member

Status Points:
    Being a local, this is the first time I heard about Grand Hyatt is haunted. I'd rather not believe it.