Grand Hyatt Taipei - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Jul 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just completed a one night stay at the Grand Hyatt Taipei and really enjoyed it. It is located right across from Taipei 101 which has beyond the observation deck, a Din Tai Fung (excellent dumplings) on the basement floor as well as a nice little mall with many western brands. It is also located a short walk from the Taipei City Hall rail / bus station which makes it very convenient.... not as convenient as the W located right on top of the station.

We got upgraded on our award stay to a club floor due my wife's diamond status and it was one of the newly renovated rooms. We also got to see one of the old rooms and trust me, there is no one who would prefer to stay in the older ones.... Hyatt has done a great job with the renovation.

The room was very well designed, modern yet comfortable. They have blended the local Taiwanese/Chinese culture with modern design aspects very well and something that I might even prefer to the over the top modern W design.... but that's their schtick. They have a walk in shower separate from the tub and provide June Jacobs toiletries which I have always liked.

The Grand Club lounge was a decent size and although the food / snack area is not large in square footage, it definitely provides a good amount of variety / selection and even has a chef there who prepares things on demand. The crab cakes were pretty tasty.

Overall, a great stay which was thoroughly enjoyable and not only would we stay there again in the future, we will be this weekend.

RichardInSF and uggboy like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there has been rumours of it being haunted, stayed there a few years ago to attend a conference and loved it nonetheless (as a non-elite with Hyatt). Room was huge and Taipei 101 was literally right outside my window..

4. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any Taiwan regulars have an opinion of an Executive room at the Le Meridien vs a Club room at the Grand Hyatt? This is our first time visiting Taipei...and I am neither an SPG Platinum nor Hyatt Diamond, just planning to book these rooms on points. (LMT: 40.5K SPG pts for Executive room, GHT: 45K pts for Club Deluxe King)

Are there any strong considerations for one hotel vs. the other? Location, etc.

I've been spoiled at some Asian hotels that have subway stations that are walkable without going outside (HR TST, Conrad Tokyo, Conrad HK, IC Seoul).

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want a hotel that is right on the subway station that doesn't require going outside, you will want to go with the W. Otherwise, the Grand Hyatt is a 10 min walk to the City Hall metro/bus station that the W basically sits on top of.