Grand Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by tom911, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just back from a 10 night award stay at the Grand Hyatt, Shanghai (15,000 points per night).

I came in from the airport on MAGLEV/Metro and walked over to the hotel ground floor lobby, just a block away. The building is distinctive along the skyline and is across the street from the World Financial Center which houses the Park Hyatt, so very easy to pick out. Exit #6 from Metro comes out across the street. Although I circled the hotel to find the proper entrance the first time, on subsequent departures or arrivals I found it better to enter/exit through the Jin Mao Tower Observation Deck entrance and use a connecting corridor directly to the Grand Hyatt ground floor lobby.

Grand Hyatt/Jin Mao Tower in front and World Financial Center/Park Hyatt behind it

[​IMG]

Walked into the ground floor lobby just after noon and was directed to the the 54th floor to check in. The agent at the Platinum/Diamond desk offered me the opportunity to check in at the Regency Club on the 83rd floor, so off in a separate elevator to check in there (trips to and from street level to your room here will always require two elevator trips as the ground floor elevator only goes as far as the 54th floor lobby).

Warm greeting at the Regency Club desk which is located outside the lounge and was always staffed during hours when the lounge, just behind them, was open. I was given an 80th floor corner room with a view towards the Oriental Pearl Tower and office buildings on one side and The Bund on the other side. Very happy with location, though have to say I was equally impressed with the view from the Regency Club on 83 which offered a view of a much wider range, or the lobby view on 54 which also offered pretty spectacular views, more so if it was a clear day (only had about 2 days with superb visibility for miles and miles).

View from my room on 80th floor on a clear day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was attending World Swimming Championships twice each day, I was only able to attend the 5-8pm reception in the Regency Club on my first night. I had a Tiger Beer and some cheese and joined friends at the JW Marriott after for dinner. Can't report much on the food items as so much time has passed. Think I just had some cheese and headed out.

I typically visited the Regency Club between 2-5 in the afternoon for a soft drink coming back from swimming or heading back out (about 45 min travel time via Metro), and those were in an ice bucket and readily available. If there was an employee in that area when I arrived they would bring the drink to me in a glass with ice. They also had Voss bottled water from Norway. I also popped in there some nights between 10-11.

Most of my time in the Regency Club was at breakfast. They offered two hot items on a table menu, one being an egg dish, that could be brought to your table. Aside from that, there was a cold cereal bar with flavored yogurts in glasses, or plain yogurt in pint containers (that's what I used for my muesli), an assortment of meats (sliced duck, salmon and pastrami were out every day), cheeses, and fresh fruit which I typically added to my muesli (varied a little each day- raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, peaches, and stuff I did not recognize by name). There was a Chinese area which had items like goose eggs (didn't select from that table). There were also plenty of breads, rolls and pastries to choose from, with small bottles of jam at your table and butter available on request. At least five juices every day (I stuck with orange juice but recall seeing watermelon juice available one day).

[​IMG]

I did not have an opportunity to visit the health club due to the packed week. I also did not use any restaurants at the hotel as I had dinner with friends most nights across the river. I did look at the cafe menu off the 54th floor lobby and found pasta and sandwiches under $US20.

So, what's around the hotel? In the World Financial Center across the street, on the second floor, I visited Blue Frog for a cobb salad one evening, and Fresh Element, which has a couple other Shanghai locations, for a tuna sandwich at lunch (friends had a panini and pasta dish). All these items were in the $10-12 range. If you're looking for western food these would meet the need.

In the opposite direction, across from the Oriental Pearl Tower, I had lunch twice at a Thai restaurant on the 4th floor of the 9-story Super Brand Mall. Thai curry and soft drink worked out to $US7 there. Lots of locals there and very happy with the food. I also had spaghetti one night at a place a few doors down for around $US9 with soft drink.

I only did two cab rides on this trip, one from the Intercontinental Pudong to the Grand Hyatt which was 20 yuan (around $3) and another back from across the river after the Metro had closed for the night for about 23 yuan ($4). Cabs are inexpensive but I'm a dedicated public transit user where I paid US45-60 cents per trip.

Would happily return here again. Staff frequently greeted me by name and one morning even asked if I wanted a Diet Coke with my breakfast (clearly retained from a prior visit, but I don't have soft drinks with breakfast).

Last photo is a night time view from below the hotel looking up.

[​IMG]

Plenty more property photos in my Trip Report:
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Asia/2011-11-Day-Trip-to-World/18084380_LF2JsS#P-1-18

In a week or two I'll cut the Grand Hyatt photos from that gallery and move them over to my Hyatt gallery. Not on the agenda for this week.

lwkatya, cennas, RichardInSF and 8 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the amazing review and photos, a gorgeous hotel!:)

lwkatya likes this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for these key pieces of info (IMO). How much is the MAGLEV?

uggboy and lwkatya like this.
  4. Dixhill

Dixhill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lucky you!

uggboy likes this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The MAGLEV is 50 yuan (about $7.50) or 40 yuan if you present an airline itinerary/ticket ($6). On the way in I didn't notice the sign and paid 50, and on the way back I paid 40. Connecting Metro was 3 or 4 yuan (45-60 cents).

uggboy likes this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great review, thanks!

uggboy likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me add some more material. When I arrived my Diamond amenity was already in my room (fruit and jar of cookies). About an hour after I checked in an employee arrived with more fruit and more cookies. Later in the week I had two more visits with fresh fruit. On one occasion I observed an employee very carefully arranging the fruit in a specific way with the banana on top. Very detail oriented.

[​IMG]

Very happy with the room and bathroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I did find a photo of the beverage table for the evening reception in the Regency Club.

[​IMG]

Overall, a most excellent stay!

uggboy, NYBanker, lwkatya and 4 others like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the MAGLEV pricing.
    nice, real Cuban rum, yum. Am I assuming correctly that the club does not charge for drinks?

uggboy likes this.
  9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't be charged if you're allowed access as a Diamond or if you're paying a rate for a Club Floor room. If you bring someone along that's not in your room there is a charge (around $25 IIRC).

uggboy likes this.
  10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a very good hotel. The only problem I had there was that the beds were rock solid. However, that was fixed by calling housekeeping -- in a few minutes, two people would show up with a foam insert to put under the sheet and pad. Tom: Looks like you had a good room (rooms within a category are judged here based on view).

lwkatya and tom911 like this.
  11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is one hotel I wouldn't be disappointed without a view, as you can easily take in all of the city you want from the lounge or lobby. I slept very well so whatever the standard mattress is must have worked fine for me.

I had forgot all about the atrium behind the elevators until a guest reminded me of that later in the week.

[​IMG]

uggboy, kenbo, lwkatya and 3 others like this.
  12. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great pics and review. Thanks for sharing. This hotel is high on my list of Hyatts to visit and it just got bumped up a few notches after looking at your pics :).

uggboy, lwkatya and tom911 like this.
  13. gujjuglobal
    Original Member

gujjuglobal Active Member

Status Points:
    Your photos are great. Seems like you had good, sunny weather. I spent 3 nights last year at this hotel during the world fair. Great service, great views especially from 88th floor bar and good location. The building and structure, it's design is absolutely wonderful.

uggboy, lwkatya and tom911 like this.
  14. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only two days with visibility that good. Figured I'd post the better view photos where you could see well across the river.

There's a new building being constructed across from the hotel entrance right now. Wonder if it will be even taller.

uggboy likes this.
  15. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at Hyatt on the Bund and Park Hyatt, but have not yet stayed at Grand Hyatt. I really like the rooms at PH - the bathroom is stunning and bed is super comfy, but will probably give GH a try one of these days.

uggboy and lwkatya like this.
  16. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a week or so here next year and am wondering which Hyatt property would be best. It would be my first trip to Shanghai.

uggboy likes this.
  17. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I needed nearby Metro access to get to the pool each day which was south of the Expo grounds, so that eliminated Hyatt on the Bund for me. If you have Hyatt Diamond status you'll get lounge access at Grand Hyatt which was a definite plus for me.

uggboy likes this.
  18. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah after staying at the PH a few months back (spectacular...), I think I would like to try the GH as well. Although...it would be hard to tear myself away from the breakfast at the PH.

uggboy likes this.
  19. Bradley
    Original Member

Bradley Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to hear from anyone who has stayed at both the Park Hyatt and the Grand Hyatt to hear a comparison! :)

uggboy likes this.
  20. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at both, multiple times.

Simple fact is that in either the PH or the club level at the GH (I've never been in a non-club level room at the GH), you will have an excellent stay. Even though my preference now is the PH, they are both fine hotels and as they are about 150m apart, location isn't a differentiator either.

uggboy likes this.
  21. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both are fine properties which only makes the decision of which one to stay at all the more difficult. Breakfast and a super Diamond amenity (wonderful strawberry cake!), or one of the best Club lounges in the system. Also amazing how the key staff at both properties know you by name after your first encounter with them! Hyatt on the Bund can hardly compare with either (though comes a close second in the Club lounge area but loses by not having a view).

BTW do they still have the black amenity kit case at the Grand Hyatt?

uggboy and RichardInSF like this.
  22. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was some type of kit on a shelf under the sink but can't recall what was in it. I looked at it on arrival and it just sat there the rest of my visit.

uggboy likes this.
  23. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like most non-NAmerican Hyatt's, there's a box containing things like tooth brushes, combs, razors and the like. At this GH these ar contained in a nice zippered case which I assumed we could take home.

uggboy and RichardInSF like this.
  24. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's definitely a correct assumption. Don't know if they'd be happy if you took one every day, though! Probably wouldn't mind even that.

TheBeerHunter and uggboy like this.
  25. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm at this hotel now and am enjoying it. Used a suite upgrade for the weekend as this was one of the last good opportunities to use on before the Feb 28 expiration. No Molton Brown in the suite when I arrived though - just June Jacobs stuff. So I left a note asking if they had any Molton Brown left over. When I returned later in the day, there was a full set of full-size Molton Brown bottles! Now I just hope there's not a hefty charge for them....

Everything about this property is as one would expect from a world-class hotel. I've had just one minor issue. My first night here I wanted tea around 10:45 pm. The lounge is open until 11 pm and stays that it serves tea/coffee/refreshments until closing. So I went to the lounge but they had put everything away by when I arrived at 10:50. They were not willing to make some tea, and suggested I have a coke instead. Not sure how coke became a substitute for tea. So, don't cut it close if you want something from the lounge.

Now back to the Westin for the week (much more convenient for the office). Might have to return to the GH, or check out the PH, next weekend. If I were using points, I think it would be a no brainer to try the PH since it's only 3k more points. But I'm paying with cash and the PH is about double the price of both the Westin and the GH, so unless the price drops later this week, my guess is that I'll be back at the GH. I'm okay with that.