Grand Hyatt Santiago - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by rajuabju, Nov 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Continuing on my “2011 Hyatt South America Tour”, I just wrapped up an award stay at the Grand Hyatt Santiago, Chile, which was a very pleasant Hyatt hotel.

The hotel is in the north east part of Santiago, though in a good area. We walked around a bit at night and felt safe. The nearest subway stop is a bit of a trek though and we didn’t make use of it.

We checked in at around 8pm a few nights ago and we were given an upgrade from our Deluxe King room to a Club King on the 16th floor with a fantastic view and easy access to the Grand Lounge which is located on the same floor. I think (but not certain) that the Club rooms are the same are the regular Deluxe rooms, just on a higher floor/better view. That’s just fine, as I found the room to be very comfortable, spacious (not huge, but nice layout with the lower floor in the desk/living area). Bathroom was a good size and in good condition. Bed was among the best we’ve slept in all trip long. The TV was large and we loved the fact that the stereo system is connected to the speakers in the ceiling, we had it on pretty much all the time.

Going back to check-in… our guy must have been new as he didn’t really know anything about Diamond amenities. That’s fine, as I explained to him regarding free internet & late check out, which he confirmed with a co-worker then granted. We didn’t get any Diamond amenity but I am not going to make a big fuss about that. I dont get worked up about minor things too much.

The Grand Club is great. Open layout with billiard table and chess set on one side, and TV on the other side. The offerings were fantastic, including alcoholic drinks, delicious sushi, and a good breakfast selection. Very impressed by the views as well. One of the better Club rooms in terms food in the Hyatt chain in my experience. The GC concierge staff was, however, a bit of a disappointment. When we asked for options to go for a visit to Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso, they really pushed a $300USD/day private car service. I told them that’s not gonna happen and they didn’t have another good suggestion. I did my own research and booked a much cheaper transport option that we loved. Also for restaurants, we wanted something for walking distance and both nights they tried to give us restaurants that required a 15 minute taxi ride…. Fortunately we just stayed at the hotel and had great food before walking around on our own.

The on-site restaurants are superb. Not overpriced, great service, even better food. We enjoyed the thai and sushi restaurants and Duke’s Bar for drinks. I highly recommend all 3 of them. I think there was another restaurant (or 2?) on the other side we didn’t try but looked full. We didn’t make use of the pool but it has a nice waterfall feature. The fitness room was also in good condition with a decent selection of equipment (wife is a fanatic of trying every fitness room we go to lol).

The massive atrium is quite impressive from the lobby and from the glass elevators looking out. One minor complaint… only 4 elevators servicing 19+ floors…. The hotel was pretty full it seemed and a few times the wait for an elevator was a bit long. Minor complaints aside, I found the hotel to be in very good condition overall and yet another great Hyatt property I hope to return to in the future.

Sean Colahan and cennas like this.
  2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review! :)

lwkatya likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you mind sharing your transport option? We are planning on using the normal bus next week, but I'm open to alternative low cost options.