Grand Hyatt San Francisco - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by peteropny, Jul 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We had a 3-night stay at this property last weekend.

Checked in late and the friendly front desk clerk (they've always been very friendly) told us that we were blocked into a King View room - 2922 (with Northern Views up Nob Hill towards Golden Gate Bridge). This was not a corner room which is quite a bit more spacious feeling. He said that 29th was the highest floor with rooms open right now (so I'm guessing that 30 and up are still under renovation).

[​IMG]
    View from 2922.

The Grand Club is currently located in "room" 1824 (they were saying that the "normal" GC on 32 will be done this week). 1824 is destined to become a suite once the GC vacates (from the floor plan I'm guessing that all xx24 rooms are suites).

The renovated rooms are very modern in design. However, the materials used feel really quite cheap - the wood parts look more like plastic. A positive feature is the electronic window shade with multiple controls in the room. The flat screen TV feed has no Digital feature.

[​IMG]
    Desk Area - note that the glass "vases" are glued down.

[​IMG]
    Bed Area

The bathroom was also completely renovated in a modern manner. However, the bathroom renovation gets a dismal failing grade from me. In particular, the shower is basically non-functional due to a combination of low water pressure and the design (long tub spout & the detachable spray unit will not spray the water much past the tub spout). It was very difficult and not enjoyable to take a shower (I'm 5'10'' 150 lbs - I can't imagine a "large" person successfully taking a shower with the setup). There is one very large vessel sink in the vanity area. However, my partner complained about the design being very awkward for left-handed people. So the bathroom gets a failing grade from me.

[​IMG]
    The failure of a shower.

[​IMG]
    Vanity Area

The property needed renovation however what was done was not well done.

When I checked out, the Opera computer system was not operational so I could not apply my Gift Certificates that I was planning to use for the stay - just worth mentioning but not a problem (I'll just use it elsewhere) and not the property's fault.

I want to thank NYBanker for helping me with the pictures.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh! Seems to me money was and is still invested into this property but with some shortcomings!:confused: Thanks for the extensive review and insights into this property, I just thought to myself, that the review would be more positive because of the money invested here at the Grand Hyatt SF!:confused:

lwkatya, RichardInSF and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    From Union Square

lwkatya, cennas and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really love the architectural format of this Grand Hyatt! Thanks for sharing Kalboz!:)

lwkatya and Kalboz like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report. Seems like I'm glad I have the Hyatt Regency reserved. ;)

Not sure why the property's inability to accept your gift certificates was not their fault?

uggboy likes this.
  6. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well the checkout clerk couldn't apply the certs since the computers were down (at least throughout the region for Hyatts using the Opera system). I couldn't even get properly checked out. The clerk did offer to apply the certs if I left them with her but I declined saying that I'll just use them later and this way neither they nor I will have to worry about them getting lost. So it really wasn't the property's fault for not being able to accept my certs.

uggboy likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, makes sense.

uggboy likes this.
  8. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can "forgive" the appearance of the "cheap" stuff in the room itself - they have a renovation budget that needs to be met after all. However, the shower setup is a design failure.

I also had hoped for a better impression / review of the property especially since Hyatt is way behind Starwood in San Francisco. Note that I have not been to the HR since the new RC opened on the top floor but I have issues with the property dating back many many years ago and their rate seems to be quite a bit higher than the GH (and for this trip the GH was in walking distance to the theater that was the point of the trip).

lwkatya and uggboy like this.
  9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. This was probably the first Hyatt that I remember staying in. I stayed here when I was 5 and got a corner room that was very huge.

uggboy, lwkatya and Kalboz like this.
  10. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry about the bump - but I posted pictures - thanks to NYBanker for helping me with them!!!

uggboy and cennas like this.
  11. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for the thorough review! I have not visited this property since the renovation and I frequent San Francisco quite a bit. The updates were necessary as it was very outdated when I was last there. I may have to stray from my usual Hyatt Regency Embarcadero and try this one out again. How did you find the Club Room? Last time I was there it was just cold items. Any changes there?

uggboy likes this.
  12. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When I was there - the GC was temporarily in a suite-to-be 1824 - not sure my comments would be indicative of what it would be like when it "goes home".

uggboy likes this.
  13. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm on my last night of a stay here. I used a confirmed suite upgrade and so am in an Executive Suite.

The good:
    • The suite is spacious and quite lovely. The recent redecorations work for me (and worked for Mrs Seaflyguy as well). The suite feels modern and tasteful.
    • The electronic controls for the lights and shades are convenient, especially given that those for the bedroom are duplicated on either side of the bed.
    • The Internet is fast -- fast enough that we were able to watch NFL Sunday Ticket and the video usually streamed at medium or high quality.
    • The Grand Club is quite well done. Beautiful views of the city and nice, rotating selections at breakfast and dinner times -- I had an egg scramble one morning and French toast another.
    • There's a Starbucks directly across the street from the lobby, almost as convenient as if it were in the hotel itself.
    The sub-optimal:
    • The lobby is meh. Not that we would spend much time there, but if you're looking for a lobby with a sense of grandeur, this wouldn't be it.
    • We didn't have an up-to-date menu in our suite and so tried to order multiple items that weren't on it. One they were able to improvise; another not.
    • No digital/HD on the television. What is the issue with hotels not being able to get their act together on this?
    • There's something about the bed that caused both my wife and I to wake up overheated, even though the A/C was working well and our room was cool. I'm more sensitive to this sort of thing, but she isn't, and even she noticed it.
    All in all, we very much enjoyed our time here and would return, especially if we could once again apply a confirmed suite upgrade.

uggboy, kenbo and RichardInSF like this.
  14. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

I've always wondered why HP has HD but many of the HRs and GHs don't.

uggboy likes this.
  15. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent, planning to go to SF in a few months, was debating which Hyatt, but now almost for sure the GH will be my choice.

uggboy likes this.
  16. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because HP spent the money when they were rebranding to put in the HD infrastructure. GH's and HR's don't really understand the infrastructure as the upgrades are being done individually and not as a part of a corporate program. Changing over usually involves renegotiating contracts, and switching over to a QAM infrastructure, which is an extremely expensive proposition in of itself on top of any other expenses related to the renovation (As a disclaimer, I work in the cable TV industry)

uggboy, FriendlySkies and kenbo like this.
  17. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, putting in the infrastructure for HP is probably a lot easier since they are pretty much all the same (6 floors with the same number of rooms?). While for FS Hyatts, there really is no consistency and the properties are much larger (for GH SF its like 30+ floors).

HP were all renovated (from Amerisuites) at nearly the same time and many people have called the properties "Large TVs with a hotel room attached" so they really had to pay attention to the main feature of the rooms.

uggboy likes this.
  18. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, since the rooms already have the cable infrastructure, the layout of the rooms is not the problem. The problem is having a place to put all of the new equipment to plug into the plant.

uggboy likes this.
  19. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked there for sister's birthday weekend in a few weeks; thanks for review as now will know what to expect (& not).

FriendlySkies and uggboy like this.
  20. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was at the GH last weekend & had a nice stay. Renovations are welcome but even this right-hander is not fond of that style sink.

Also found it odd that safe & mini fridge were in main part of room while the only drawers were in the closet.

The CL is open on the aforementioned 30 something floor & had a nice breakfast spread though got quite crowded on Sat.

Speaking of crowds, between the Hyatt labor protests & Occupy-like economy marchers, egress can be quite challenging.

uggboy likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, t he sink in the OP picture looks like a Japanese nonWestern trough toilet.

uggboy likes this.
  22. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of bathrooms, I forgot to mention the women's restroom 1 floor below the lobby.

It's got a tv in the mirror, some groovy lighting & plenty of outlets for recharging your toys.

uggboy likes this.
  23. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, it looks like a bidet more than like a Japanese toilet. Bit weird for a sink.

uggboy likes this.
  24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    TRAVELSIG and perryplatypus like this.
  25. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there a couple of weeks ago. I used my last 2011 suite upgrade and was given an Executive Suite on the 24th floor. It was two connecting rooms with one of them decorated with a couch instead of a bed. The bathroom in the bedroom had a shower stall with no tub. It was a nice suite and enjoyed the extra space.

This was also my first time seeing the remodeled lounge and it looks great.