Grand Hyatt San Francisco - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by peteropny, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We stayed at this property over the weekend for 2 nights.

The property is very well located right at Union Square - with all of the shopping / dining choices in the area. Property is currently undergoing significant renovation (I was told that rooms on floors 3-14) have been renovated. The unrenovated rooms are quite dated - we were given a room on 34th floor (the top floor of rooms) due to some mixup with the bed type in the reservation (had booked a king room - but was allocated a double perhaps because of the modification reducing the stay by one night).

The Grand Club is on the 32nd floor is decent with pretty good choices of food; however, the space is a bit small and can be very crowded at times (not over the last weekend since the hotel was sold out due to a convention in town - so perhaps not as many with GC access in house).

Overall, I would rate this property as good with good location but certainly not a top property either in San Francisco (Starwood actually has better properties including the LeMeridien which was the Park Hyatt before) or the Hyatt chain. It is a large convention / tourist oriented property which certainly not necessarily bad but not a "top" luxury property.

flyingdawg, Horse, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  2. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh - forgot to note that currently valet parking at the property is $49 plus tax. A cheaper alternative without in / out privileges is at the Sutter / Stockton garage diagonally across the corner - I don't really use this garage since the layout is very confusing and it can be very crowded.

flyingdawg and Kalboz like this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many of the regular rooms also seemed small to me. But in SF it's all about location, location, location and that's what this hotel has!

4. JonathanIT
    Original Member

JonathanIT Active Member

Status Points:
    I stayed as well last weekend... I didn't get much of an upgrade, just a Club Floor (at least they said) King bedroom. However, I liked the room and the view was spectacular (33rd floor). They are in the process of renovating the rooms at this property, I'm excited about how it will turn out... this could be a really nice property when it's finished.

I really like the Grand Club, the views can't be beat and the staff is super friendly.

flyingdawg, Kalboz and DYKWIA like this.
  5. doodley
    Original Member

doodley Active Member

Status Points:
    Decent grand club, ditto on the outdated rooms (stayed on 31st floor during the 5000GP promo). Wonderful service from everyone I interacted with.

6. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a good one nighter here over a holiday weekend. Check in agent was very attentive. Received a suite upgrade without asking, which was a connector to a huge living room area. The room itself was a smaller room, and the decor was a bit old. The club was smaller than the HR SF club, and more crowded. The location was the best point, and a good base for our walks all over the city. Enjoyed the fantastic views.

IMG_3790.JPG IMG_3759.JPG IMG_3757.JPG IMG_3767.JPG IMG_3773.JPG IMG_3774.JPG IMG_3806.JPG

flyingdawg, Horse and Kalboz like this.
  7. JonathanIT
    Original Member

JonathanIT Active Member

Status Points:
    Just a note on local parking: weekends are quite easy to find street parking near this property... especially Saturday night to Monday morning. Because Sundays are free for all meters, one can leave your car in the same space from 6p Saturday night until 7a Monday morning for free. I had no problems using the Sutter St garage in combination with street parking for a significant savings over the $50/day valet charge on a three day weekend stay. And it did not seem unsafe to park around Union Square overnight.

8. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the renovation is starting from the bottom floors and working their way up. Anyone know how far along they are?

pokerhammy, how were those chicken skewers? I've never seen anything close to that for the evening spread.

9. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They're up to 14 according to the front desk last weekend.

10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    My company has a good rate at this place and I'm hoping the updates that are happening now are good. Right now, this property only has location and view, nothing else

Suites are only connecting rooms, so not real suites.

Go to property in San Francisco is still the St. Regis for me

Kalboz likes this.
  11. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    They were cold and dry. I didn't get more.

12. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    With a city such as SF with such great restaurants, the lounge does not need to replace any meals for me, and weekends I've usually slept thru breakfast. However, I really do appreciate that they keep the espresso machine running all day, have to-go cups for it and also thru the day they have fruit, cookies, soda and water available. Coming from an SPG mindset, it's really nice to get to think of a lounge a place you can quickly stop by for a quick refreshment any time of the day.

flyingdawg, Kalboz and kenbo like this.
  13. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the chocolate chip cookies!

Kalboz likes this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Grand Hyatt San Francisco Tries to Give New Rooms a Residential Feel
    [​IMG]

flyingdawg, flyer_o and kw335 like this.
  15. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow it looks so much nicer compared to the old layout. I have to agree with a couple of posters above- the staff here are very nice. They always call to the room a few minutes after checking in to make sure the room is up to your standard. Can't wait to see all rooms, especially the ones on the grand floors to be renovated.

16. reachdp

reachdp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here are a few snaps from my last few stays at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco (Oct 2011 and Nov 2011). The first four are from the Grand Lounge on the 32nd Floor.
    Hyatt SF lounge 1.jpg Hyatt SF lounge 2.jpg Hyatt SF lounge 3.jpg Hyatt SF lounge 4.jpg Hyatt SF room 1.jpg Hyatt SF room 2.jpg

17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing. Looks a lot better. I wonder if they have real suites for upgrades now..

Kalboz likes this.
  18. reachdp

reachdp Silver Member

Status Points:

I struck out twice when I tried to upgrade. Here are some pictures of the new suites:

Luxury Suite
    [​IMG]

Hospitality Suite
    [​IMG]

Executive Suite
    [​IMG]

19. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    awesome! Are these available using confirmed suite upgrades?

Kalboz likes this.
  20. reachdp

reachdp Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I called for a suite upgrade award I was told the Executive Suites were unavailable for the dates I wanted. I didn't know of the Luxury and Hospitality suites at the time.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed there last Labour Day long weekend and I can say its great!!!!!!!!!!!

New modern/trendy looking rooms....... Great lounge, impressive & friendly staff...... Convenient location to shop/tour around!

The artisan meats + wine was a great Diamond Amenity!

flyingdawg, YULtide and Kalboz like this.
  22. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    arrived yesterday and was given a club room on same floor as club lounge (32). It was a nice double room. Nothing special except that it was very hot and stuffy. And when we tried to turn the air conditioning on, it would turn itself out. We couldn't stand the sauna like atmosphere so we left and an engineer came up while we were gone and tried to fix the problem. Today, we returned back to the hotel and requested a better room with better temperature. The general manager recognized me as a diamond better and graciously offered me an Executive Suite, which is where I type this missive from. It's a two room suite and very nice and modern. I must say that both rooms have electric blinds that black out the room -- a great feature. Also, the club lounge had a terrific breakfast -- delicious eggs (very unusual), nice pastries and some terrific lox. A lot of nice touches at this Grand Hyatt and you can't beat the location. Definitely will return after receiving such stellar service on my 50th and 51st nights as a Diamond this year.

23. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I arrived yesterday, too, and am on the same floor. I find the Grand Club Lounge offerings excellent as well. Enjoy the rest of your stay in the suite. Nice to hear they took good care of you.

24. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    One negative is that in the club lounge, breakfast ends at 9:30 and they are Nazian in their putting away all foods precisely at 9:30!

25. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    A return stay was even better than the last. The rooms are elegant and have all the modern amenities of the top Andaz properties. I really prefer this hotel in every way (except the view) to the Hyatt Regency. The only snafu was no hot water in my room -- but otherwise this is one of my favorite hotels in SF.

flyingdawg, rharrigill and Kalboz like this.