Grand Hyatt Istanbul vs Park Hyatt Istanbul

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Leonardo85, Mar 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello :)

it´s me again...

i just want to travel to Istanbul in December and i am now planing which Hyatt i should use...

Any experiences / photos from your visit :) ?

Thx

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm there in May and staying at the Macka Palas Hyatt. Several people I know liked the Grand because of its proximity to "IST", the Macka Palace is a bit out of the way, but people suggested that it is the nicer of the 2.

For pictures, etc have you look at tripadvisor.com?

uggboy and Leonardo85 like this.
  3. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    so how is your rate at the hotel ? do you pay for it or use points ?

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    mine is a points based stay. Hyatt grades their hotels 1-6 and based on their rating, their point requirements may be different. What are you planning to do?

uggboy likes this.
  5. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i just want to visit istanbul for the first time in my life. a little bit sightseeing , a little bit shopping ;-)

Kalboz, uggboy and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  6. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the PH Istanbul. As previously stated, its a bit out of the way to some of the landmarks, but that was a benefit because it gave me a better reason to walk and wander in the various neighborhoods surrounding the hotel.

We stayed using FFN's a while back and were upgraded to the Spa King room which had a great bathroom with a large tub that we enjoyed.

PH_IST_Bathroom.jpg

The room decor was to my liking as well.

winter vacation  part 2 2009 001.jpg

All things even, I'd certainly consider the PH Istanbul my preferred hotel.

uggboy and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  7. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the GH back in 2007 when it was still a HR. Great location, walking distance from both the Taksim Square and Istiklal St and just across from the entrance to the metro. Lobby was a bit small but rooms were very large and modern with oversized all-marble bathrooms. We were assigned rooms on the 3rd floor but I'd imagine you could see the Bhosphorus from the higher floors. Service was reasonably good, not too friendly but polite and attentive.

The PH wasn't open back then, but we did visit the area and it was very upscale, fashionable, trendy, and not very touristy.

uggboy likes this.
  8. farbster

farbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were in Istanbul last summer and it was amazing. I would strongly suggest staying in the Sultanahmet area. It is walking to most everything you want to do. There are a million hotels there - but not many chains. We stayed in a boutique hotel (I can recommend if you send me a PM) and it was inexpensive and great. The location was awesome.

I quickly looked at the hyatt website and saw the maps for both the Hyatt properties. Neither look convenient at all to any of the sights.

Just my opinion.

Kalboz, Global Explat and uggboy like this.
  9. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed one night at the PH in late December before shifting to GH for several. While I was impressed with the PH, think I’d stay at GH again, though the room decor was older:
    1 - Easier location to get to things, including Sultanahmet - take the funicular down to the tram stop that goes across The Golden Horn; should be faster than a taxi given traffic usually; buy a bunch of jetons at a machine so you have them handy; you definitely want to use the funicular on the way back;
    2 - The Lounge at the GH is terrific with a great staff and a very nice selection of items in the morning and evening; they’ll make you a boiled egg if you like;
    3 - Although going to one of the old hammams is a way to go, the one at the GH is terrific; didn’t try the one at the PH.

There’s a terrific Hilton over near the University and Grand Bazaar over by Sultanahmet, that I’d happily stay at again. Not expensive, at least not during that time of year, and they also have a great breakfast buffet; no lounge.

uggboy likes this.
  10. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the GH. It was in August, and the temperatures were in the high 90's. The proximity to the sites permitted me to return midday for refreshing swims, which made the conditions far more bearable.

I, too, found the club lounge to be excellent, and would miss it at the PH.

Kalboz, From NYC and uggboy like this.
  11. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm off to the GH Istanbul in 2 weeks. Booked when my suite upgrades were about to expire last month. They allowed me to use two suite upgrades at once (to upgrade two rooms to suites)... I'm a new Hyatt Diamond (via Challenge) so don't have too much experience with the program, but I thought that was pretty good of them....

12. Global Explat
    Original Member

Status Points:

Last day of 5 days at GH Istanbul today. Hotel is ok but strongly agree with the above. 3 of 5 days we found ourselves cabbing in 20mins to Sultanahmet.

We were traveling with 4 children, from infant to 11, so a wee bit less mobile than if it were just me and Mrs GE ....

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Global Explat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As indicated in a previous post, we had used 2 suite upgrades to get two suites for our stay at GH Istanbul. Arrived well after midnight and discovered the suites were at opposite ends of the hotel. Not exactly what we had in mind, given 3 of our children were going to be in the other room. The way this hotel is configured, all the suites are in the corner rooms- so four per floor on the floors that have suites. Which means you can't get two that are anywhere near each other.

The hotel staff were very helpful giving us options for alternative arrangements, though we ended up forfeiting one of the suite upgrades and taking a regular adjoining room, which worked well- adding a few more beds off the suite. In future this is what we will generally try to book (at any hotel) for the family next time as we all end up in the larger living space in one room anyhow- no need for a larger space in two rooms...

Kalboz and LIH Prem like this.
  14. MightyTravels

MightyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
  15. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great post! I got the same deal for a stay in March using best rate guarantee - looking forward to a three day stay by myself - hoping to hire a guide for one day...

16. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    And anyone have/known cheap travel tips to get from IST to Park Hyatt?