Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Kalboz, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having stayed here on a "The Big Welcome" award night in July 2009, this was my second stay at this hotel.

I booked a FFN stay award at the GHE for 3 nights, for Deluxe King. Arrived at BKK early in the morning at 6 AM on direct flight from LAX (TG 795). Cleared out immigration & customs, got my luggage and was in a cab by 6:20 AM. The drive to town was fairly nice and arrived at this hotel at 7:10 AM. No rooms were available at that time and I was offered breakfast at the executive lounge and was told that a room will be ready in few hours. Came back around 1 PM and was given room # 809 which is a corner room about 38 SQM in size. I asked for an upgrade and the FD asked if I wanted to use one of my Diamond upgrades. Since I have four of them that would expire soon, I said sure. I was told to stay at # 809 until 8 PM when they will get a suite ready. After happy hour at the lounge I was given room # 1606 which is a one-bedroom suite.
    [​IMG]
    Room: As indicated above the room was a one-bedroom suite with at least 70 SQM in size. Very beautiful, well-appointed and spacious corner suite directly facing the new Renaissance Bangkok. Good size bathroom and another small one in the foyer with sink and commode only. The suite was clean and comfortable with 2 flat screen TVs and other amenities.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Service: Excellent and attentive service by executive floor, housekeeping and other staff members. Turn down service was performed daily.
    Executive Lounge: The GHE lounge on the 17th floor is small in comparison with the JW Marriott’s but very nice and overlooking Ratchdamri. Smoking room and a tiny computer room on the opposite side of the floor. Children are allowed in the lounge.
    Food: Breakfast was continental in the executive lounge, and out of the 3 mornings I was there, 2 had an egg dish. Eggs to order are available but you have to pay for them. Fruits, cereals, pastries, chesses, juices, etc. were available in addition to hot beverages. Food offerings at happy hours (
    5-8 PM) are better than any other hotel that I have stayed at in BKK (JW Marriott, Conrad, LMPA, NaiLertPark, etc.). Dinning in the main lobby restaurant was good also but the
    Erawan Tea Room food offering was very bad and I would not recommend this outlet. I also tried Spasso Restaurant and had a great Spaghetti all Carbonara with pork sausages. Twice I had Tapas and drinks at Bar @ 494 and both times all was great also.
    [​IMG]
    Location: Excellent location … attached to a nice indoor shopping center and right across the street from Gaysorn shopping mall which is connected with it by an above the street bridge. This is the same bridge that connect the hotel to both Chitlom and Siam BTS stations. There are dozens of restaurants, boutiques and other specialty stores within walking distance, such as Big C, World Trade Center, Istan, etc.
    Swimming Pool: Good size and directly exposed to sun light on the 5th floor. There is also a spa and a gym which I did not use.
    [​IMG]
    My total bill for incidentals was about $106. I paid with 2 Hyatt Check Certificates ($100) and charged the balance to my Capital One MC. Overall, very nice and friendly property. See photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157622489502841/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    SuperKirby, gleff, IDGflygirl and 6 others like this.
  2. synd
    Original Member

synd Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love this property, it's one of the best of the Hyatt group imo! And the grand club staff is mostly the reason...

here is a picture of the property viewed from the IC next door : IMG_2584.jpg

I am still bitter not to have been there for NY, as the GM took all the frequent guest on the roof top. Aparently it was a lot of fun.

A couple comments : I really enjoy the tea room, I have had some really good meals over there, and I find them really decently priced. Downstairs on the same level as Spasso and Bar 494, there is a thai buffet restaurant called You & Mee which is allright. Finally Spasso can be really fun to watch at night, as it turns into a really expensive meat market... Always funny to see those 50-60 years old business man walking away with some beautiful 20 - 25 year old thai ladies. I probably won't find this as funny in 20 years from now! ;)

Location cannot be beat, you're a 5 minutes walk away from Ratchdamri station and from there 3-4 stations from the river, and all the touristy places. Right in the midlle of some great shopping malls. While pricey, 1000 Thb, the aquarium on the bottom floor of siam paragon is amazing. There is also a bowling alley on the top floor, but don't eat there, got sick last time...

Spa:
    Excellent massages, and often they have 50% discount of the massages when the hotel is not filled up. You'll find the deals on the newspaper they deliver every morning. It was rated one of the top 10 spas in South East Asia for 2010.

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great report Kalboz. Spasso is a great F&B outlet and a lot of fun. Location is also about as good as it gets in BKK.

Schoflyer and Kalboz like this.
  4. Schoflyer
    Original Member

Schoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice Report Kalboz. I still think there may be better value found closer to Asok.
    -Scho

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree with you if you are talking about the unbeatable SGS' THB 3,999 rate especially for plats who get upgraded to Grande Suite accommodations with benefits. But if you are comparing rack rates, there will be a great compitition between the two. :)
    [​IMG]
    Back in early 2009, I participated in Hyatt's "The Big Welcome Sweepstakes" becoming a Hyatt Gold Passport (HGP) member for the first time and was selected as a winner of one night stay at any Hyatt property worldwide. In July 2009, I had a visit to Bangkok and used this free night ... WOW! I was blown away by the great treatment, the room, and other amenities. I was given 4 one hundred Baht F&B vouchers by the concierge who I never met before to use at any hotel outlet. I tried to pay for these vouchers to no avail as he refused to take my money saying that they were not for sale. The butler service for continental breakfast from 6-10 AM was a great benefit for lowly Gold members such as myself at the time. Those are very small gestures but good enough to get my loyalty. That winter I did my MR and got my Hyatt Diamond status plus earning 9 nights at any Hyatt plus around 50K HGP points ... and the rest is history. To make the long story short: This Hyatt Erawan made me do it! :)
    [​IMG]
    Bar @ 494
    [​IMG]
    The executive lounge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IDGflygirl and lwkatya like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    And don't forget- for all John Le'Carre fans- the book the Honorable Schoolboy had a couple of scenes set in the original Erawan hotel :)

Kalboz likes this.
  7. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just want to add that I really enjoy the Khao Soi in 'You and Mee' restaurant. Good hotel, good location, I just wish they would renovate the rooms and club lounge sooner rather than later...

Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed about the rennovation- this is one reason I prefer the Four Seasons just down the street. The Erawan Tea Shop in the adjacent shopping centre is also run by the hotel and is a great place for lunch.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can I charge my lunch to the room, pay with Costco certs and get points for it? ;)

Kalboz likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do believe you can charge to your room. No idea about the rest :)

Kalboz likes this.
  11. bschaff1
    Original Member

bschaff1 Active Member

Status Points:
    Definitely can charge to the room and you'll get points for it.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    David Cornwell (Le Carré’s real name) who is a former British Secret Services agent, is a great spy-novel writer with an intellectual depth. He once said: "The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God," His best known among his many post-Cold War novels is The Constant Gardener. I will get a copy of the "Honorable Schoolboy" soon enough ... thanks for posting this!

Chimpy likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honorable Schoolboy is a great fast paced story- the "villain" own the penthouse of the Erawan Hotel. I also really like "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy".

Kalboz likes this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, yes, and yes [​IMG] ... yes to all three questions!

Chimpy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since I am going to spend about a week at the Erawan next month, I thought I would get "Honorable Schoolboy" to read while there. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be available for my Sony Reader and Amazon doesn't offer it for the Kinde either (which I could use on my iPad). Not sure I want to carry a real book with me.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's in paperback... :)

Kalboz likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Still takes up more space in my carry-on that the Sony Reader. But yeah, I ordered it from my local library.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Erawan Shrine & the original Erawan Hotel at Ratchaprasong intersection 1965

aaronJC, synd and Chimpy like this.
  19. Stay here frequently in the past few years.

I would second the great service you get in the hotel. Especially the ladies at the Exec Club. Nice place to grab a coffee/tea and look at the green view from the lounge (rare in Bangkok)

However I prefer the Italian at the Four Seasons (Biscotti). They have a great lunch Antipasti Buffet there that is great value.

You and Mee is great, but the quality of the food at the Erawan Tea Room, once one of my favourites, has dropped.
    I would recommend Taling Ping which has branches in Central World (reopened) and Siam Paragon now for easy Thai nearby.

Thanks Kalboz for the review and photos!

Kalboz likes this.
  20. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    The I.sawan spa was out of this world and the club lounge was great as well. Couldn't wait to get back! Thanks for the photos!

lwkatya and Kalboz like this.
  21. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    +1 on the great photos!

Kalboz likes this.
  22. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mind blowing to see photos like this and compare what was there 45 years ago with what's there today! Same with my own trips to Singapore to have seen that city go through such changes since the early 80s...

Kalboz likes this.
  23. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the 'SGS' rate you referred to in post #5?:confused:

There is a COSTCO discount available at the property!:cool:

Kalboz likes this.
  24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Schoflyer in post # 4 stated that he preferred " ... better value found closer to Asok." And I assumed he was taking about the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (SGS), a Starwood Luxury Collection property, which is located near the Asok intersection. For more information about the SGS, check out the thread by TRAVELSIG found here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/sheraton-grande-sukhumvit-master-thread.1571/
    As for the Costco discount, I was referring to the Hyatt Check Certificates that were available at Costco at 20% discount.

IDGflygirl and Chimpy like this.
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looking out over that intersection right now, I have to say.... wow, Bangkok sure has changed in those 46 years!

Quick question: we are departing on the UA flight to NRT at 6:55am and were planning to catch a cab from the hotel. I assume it's not a problem to get a metered taxi early in the morning? How's the traffic? Planning to leave around 4am-ish.

Kalboz likes this.