Grand Hyatt Dubai - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by todorovic, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. todorovic
    Original Member

todorovic Active Member

Status Points:
    Since I have a little bit of time and there are no other reviews of this hotel I'll add a few observations regarding GH Dubai.

The hotel is approximately 5 miles (8km) from the airport and can be reached in roughly 10 minutes outside of the rush hour. It is a large, resort-style hotel with part of the building being a residential property. There are many restaurants on two levels above and below the front desk (mostly below).

We have used the suite UGs and were given the large Grand Suite King. The suite has a separate bedroom and living room. It also comes with 1.5 bathrooms, which is great if you are entertaining guests in your room. The main bathroom is huge with both the shower and the soaking tub. It has a double sink counter and has direct access to the large walk in closet (which can be accessed from the bedroom, too). The bedroom is of decent size and very comfortable.

The living room has an ottoman and a couple of chairs placed around the coffee table. There is an office desk with a separate chair in one corner. The suites come with the printer/fax machine and there is both wired and wireless internet in the room. The furniture is in good condition.

The Grand Club is on the top floor and is huge. It consists of effectively 3 large areas and they put out the breakfast spreads in 2 places. The quality of food is good and the selection of beverages is nice. The service in the morning is a little bit slow but we didn't have a problem with that as we were on vacation. I can see that potentially being an issue for people on business trips.

The outdoor pools are large and there is a separate kiddie pool at the lower level. There is also an indoor pool but we didn't use it as it was warm enough when we were there (when isn't it?). The towel service at the pool was slow at times and I had to track down one of the employees to get fresh towels on a couple of occasions.

The suites come with complementary mini bar and complementary car transport (BMW 7 series or Land Rover) to the airport, which we used happily. The contents of the mini bar were replenished regularly.

2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you use a suite upgrade, do you still receive the airport transportation, or is that only for people who pay for a suite?

3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Airport transfers are (at least were) given to even those upgraded to Club level - when we went there in 2007 on a FFN redemption, they even emailed me to offer airport pickup - I declined though nice EK F gave limo transfer anyways.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does Hyatt still have a booth/counter at the DXB airport?

A couple years ago, myself and another FT'ers stumbled onto the Hyatt booth at the airport, I went over and showed my Diamond card, the agent put in my information and immediately stated I had been upgraded to club level at the Grand Hyatt and if I could give him 5 minutes he would book a hotel car for us. In the meantime he offered juice or water. Hotel Car was BMW 7 series, and the GH was a quick & free ride away.

Upon approaching the front desk, again put out my diamond card and was ushered upstairs to the lounge to complete check in. Just so anyone doesn't get the wrong idea, I always pull out my elite card when checking in (along with ID, credit card) as sometimes it causes a nice rapport with the front desk person about benes/perks, I'm not a DYKWIA type person.

Was given a room on the 12th floor with access privileges to the lounge.

Breakfast in the lounge consists of fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, sliced meats, lox, yogurts, juices, coffee/tea, and soda. Very good and very fresh.

Evening lounge had good sushi, sliced roast beef or other meats, nuts, desserts, breads and alcohol (beers, wine, hard alcohol). In the lounge you have a choice of overlooking Dubai creek or the city skyline. (although if there are kids, they are supposed to be in the city side lounge)

We ate at both the Manhattan Grill (steakhouse) and Pepper Crab (Asian seafood) restaurants.

Steakhouse was very good; they offered both USDA Prime as well as Waygu. Wine list was decent, had a very good Pinot Noir from Oregon.

Pepper Crab Restaurant was good also but I felt a bit pricey. We had the pepper crab (what else ??)

We never really ran into super heavy traffic getting into Dubai, got lucky with the times I guess, cab ride is 15-20 Dirhams from Bastikiya or Gold Souk, we spent ~40 for Mall of the Emirates (one that contains the ski slope)

Pool area was good, with plenty of chairs in the sun or shade if one wanted. Only downside to the pool area is a large portion of the pool is 2 meters deep so the avg sized human can’t stand.

We didn’t try the spa.

We were allowed a 6pm checkout on the day of our departure. And of course took a hotel car back to the airport.

EVERY hotel employee we ran into at the hotel was warm, effective, fast and knowledgeable, what a tremendous property, we never felt the hotel was too big. I'd stay at the GH again in a hearbeat

Price123 likes this.
  5. ajb

ajb Active Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt does still have a counter at the airport.... Once you exit from immigration/luggage, turn left and it should be on your left a few stops down.

Have to recommend the Middle Eastern restaurant at the Grand Hyatt. It's great! So is the club lounge--one of the better ones.

THe Park Hyatt is in Dubai is incredibly nice, with typical Park Hyatt amenities and attention to design. The service was sometimes a touch off (everything seemed to take forever), but it is a step above Grand Hyatt.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in June. It's different to the Park, but I wouldn't say either was better than the other. The service at the Grand was superior to the Park. Full review here (with extensive pictures).

FredEX17 likes this.
  7. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    During our last stay at the GH DXB, we met with the GM - an interesting man whom we were honored to talk with. Our interview is here on Driven2travel.