Grand Hyatt DFW - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by todorovic, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. todorovic
    Original Member

todorovic Active Member

Status Points:
    Since I have stayed in this hotel multiple times and there is no review here on MilePoint I thought I'd post my review of the hotel as a service to others.

The hotel is part of the D wing and is very convenient for AA fliers. The lobby is above the main terminal level and can be accessed by the elevator or escalator. The restaurant and coffee shop are on the same level and offer a nice dining experience.

IME, diamond members are routinely upgraded to suites without having to use UG certs, which is a great benefit since I hate burning my certs for 1-night stays. Rooms are modern with standard amenities (grand bed, Portico toiletries, flat screen Tv, etc.). Views of the runways are great and the inside stays quiet despite the proximity of active runways.

The spa/gym/pool are on the top floor and offer standard set of machines/treatments. I believe the spa services have to be ordered in advance b/c the masseuse is not a full time employee. The pool is smallish but adequate. It also gives unobstructed views of the runways for the enthusiasts.

As a guest at the hotel you can have access to the secure area of the airport without a boarding pass. Just ask the front desk and they will call the police officer who will come and issue a pass. You go down to the terminal level, hand the pass to TSA and go through. This is great for dining and shopping in duty-free shops (terminal D is international mostly). You can also use sky-link to go to other terminals, too.

The parking is free in the DFW garage - you have to have your ticket validated at the front desk.

Zantaine, RichardInSF and Kaanapali like this.
  2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this hotel, I enjoy looking out over the tarmac at the airport in operation. It does require a rental car if you have business anywhere else, of course, but the free parking is very helpful. There have been times when I had one day's business in Dallas, was in town for two nights, and I chose this hotel over staying in town. Go figure!

3. todorovic
    Original Member

todorovic Active Member

Status Points:
    This hotel is actually my first choice in Dallas if the price is right. Unfortunately, lately the prices were higher by at least 30% compared to other Hyatts in town and when you take into consideration the amount of time it takes to get to the downtown especially in the morning rush it was just not justifiable to stay here.

4. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Also worth comment is the food/beverage at the hotel.

Food here is excellent... one of my favorite hotels for dining. One nice plus for platinums is that they will do room service breakfast (which I love when I have an early flight). I sometimes crave their green chile chicken chilaquiles - a great Southwestern breakfast dish!

We often use their bar as a meeting point on Friday afternoons for various folks on my team if we are all arriving back at DFW around the same time. Good mix of cocktails and a nice selection of appetizers in the lounge area. Also a good separate menu in the hotel restaurant... focus on small plates.

Locals like me like the park-fly rate they offer - room plus 7 days parking (which they will extend to 11 days on request) can be an amazing deal if you catch it on the right night - I've seen it for $199 - which is great when you consider terminal parking at $17/day!