Grand Hyatt Denver

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by cguizlo, Nov 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Review: Grand Hyatt Denver

For our stay we paid for one night for $150 and cashed in 12,000 Chase UR points for the next night.

The hotel is located in the middle of downtown Denver and is a perfect place if you want to walk all over downtown like we did. It's just a few blocks from the 16th Street Pedestrian Mall which is a great spot to go for shopping and food. It also features a free bus route to take you up and down the pedestrian mall if you don't feel like walking. This location is also perfect to walk over to the LoDo district which has lots of great restaurants and unique shopping as well as the Rockies baseball stadium.

We were given a free upgrade to a "corner king" room which was just a bit larger than the regular king room.

The best part about this room is that we were at the end of the hallway. I like being farther away from the elevators as it is usually much quieter than the middle of the hallway where people can often be heard coming and going at all hours of the day. The hotel was very quiet and modern, but nothing spectacular.

The room had an entryway that led into the main bedroom which featured a large king bed, a flat-screen tv, dresser/desk combo and a large window overlooking parts of downtown Denver. The living area was laid out a bit strange though since the tv was sitting on the dresser and was only really able to be viewed from certain angles from bed and the desk. On the right side of the room was the bathroom with marble tiled bath/shower combo, again nice, but nothing special.

[​IMG]
    Entrance
    [​IMG]
    Bed/TV

[​IMG]
    Dresser/Desk

[​IMG]
    Bathroom and Closet

Overall the hotel was nice for what we needed, which was as a base to explore the city from. But everything else was just average. The staff was nice, but not nice for any longer than they had to be. Every time I went to the desk I had to wait at least a few minutes before being helped. When we were getting ready to leave we enquired about check out and were told it wasn't available, despite having status with Hyatt. They simply wouldn't budget and the lady who checked us out was more interested in gossiping to her co-worker than helping us find the best way to the airport. So those interactions made a nice hotel turn into just an average hotel.

[​IMG]
    "View" of downtown Denver

wrxmom and uggboy like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As you mention, the Grand Hyatt is a perfectly fine property in downtown Denver. It doesn't really like up to the "Grand" moniker as much as other Grands in the chain. The Hyatt Regency Convention Center is my favorite Hyatt in Denver. The Grand has been talking about renovating it's rooms for almost 2 years and seems to be inching closer. But until there's a new room product, I think there are much better quality properties in Denver.

For the budget-minded traveler, one of the benefits of the Grand not being top-notch is that weekend rates at this property can be quite low, definitely lower then the Hyatt Regency.

uggboy likes this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I work in downtown Denver at go to a lot of meetings at both. FWIW, we all refer to the "Grand Hyatt" as the "old Hyatt", "dumpy Hyatt", etc. etc. you get the drift.

4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just an update - stayed there last night for a special occasion. Was on the 24th floor, with access to the Grand Club. Overall, I was underwhelmed. The remodel is very nice, but there were some little things that annoyed me.
    • Mentioned it was my wife and I's birthday on check-in (yes, both of us); they were very nice and tried to send an "amenity", but didn't send it until 9pm. We had already gotten back to the room and put out the "DND" sign. We checked in right at 3pm.
    • Our duvet cover had stains on it that looked like blood. We didn't notice until going to bed (at about 11) and really didn't want to wait for housekeeping, so we just stripped it off)
    • We asked at check-in for our newspaper preferences, I requested the WSJ and my wife wanted Denver Post. They only delivered WSJ.
    • The Grand Club was disappointing. The facility was pretty nice, but the two attendants were gossiping loudly which was really disturbing.
    • The lobby bar in TINY
    I plan on sharing my experience via the follow-up survey, or by contacting the hotel directly. Overall, it's a nicely remodeled, high-end hotel, but just had a number of hiccups, most of them service-related.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've stayed at this property a handful of times. It's tough to label it a Grand, even with the renovations. The lobby bar has always been pretty tiny. I really do like the new club rooms quite a bit. And, FWIW, Hyatt made a change last year in how they note reservations for requesting newspapers. Since then, I've probably averaged a newspaper at my door about 50% of the time as opposed to all the time before.

It's not fair to compare this Grand to many of the other Grands. The Regency down the street is more of a Grand then this is. I doubt the renovation will raise their ADR and occupancy a ton. I'm sure it will help but this property still lacks in the premium category.