Grand Hyatt Denver-REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Pizzaman, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This is a property I stay at no less than a few times a year.

The property is located downtown in a central location, a couple blocks from the 16th street mall, and about 4 blocks from the Hyatt Regency Convention Center.

As with most downtown hotels, the self-parking price is only slightly less than the valet. Unlike the Regency, it's a bit further walk to cheaper surface lots. I've always chosen valet and find the service polite and timely.

The lobby bar and restaurant in this hotel are lacking, IMO. Neither are all that themed. The restaurant has a fairly basic menu. The lobby bar is very small, but the service reasonable. There are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance that would provide a much better experience.

Front desk staff here is always warm and inviting. The rooms themselves are in a good state of repair, with decent sized rooms and bathrooms. As a diamond member, I have never received a room smaller than a corner King. Most times, I receive an Executive Suite. This is a 2-room suite with a living room and very usable desk/work area. The bedroom is oversized, as is the bathroom.

The club lounge is pleasantly staffed. It has all the standard breakfast fare, along with a self-serve specialty coffee machine and the occasional plate of salmon.

The pool is a bit small, but ample. The exercise room is the same. All the equipment is new, but there are only about a dozen aerobic stations, and probably 4 or 5 weight training stations. There's also access to a rooftop running track.

All floors of the hotel require a key in the elevator to access, with the club lounge residing on the top floor. The few times I've received a corner King, a quick call to housekeeping and they brought up the upgraded Portico spa items.

Room service is timely and of good quality. The menu is standard Hyatt fare, without a whole lot of variety. But, what is offered has always met my expectations.

For business people, there's a Fedex Kinkos right next door.

Happy to answer any other questions.

uggboy likes this.
  2. roberton3
    Original Member

roberton3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed there a couple of times, and my front desk experience has been mixed. One time, the staff was efficient and friendly. The other time, I had someone who didn't seem to have any idea what she was doing: she said my GP number was already in my reservation, even though it later turned out it wasn't. She had no idea that my Platinum status should get me free internet. I had reserved a room with a king bed, and she told me that none were available, so I'd have to take a room with two doubles, then tried to upsell me to a corner room with a king bed. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Also, last time I was there (last month, Jan '11), they were ripping up the rooftop running track. I don't know if they're getting rid of it, or if that was step one in the process of resurfacing it.

Otherwise, though, I'd agree with everything in Pizzaman's review.

uggboy likes this.
  3. sleepyintheair
    Original Member

sleepyintheair Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here a few times, and found the front desk staff pretty welcoming. Also treated pretty well as platinum - was comped breakfast for two and half (!) of valet parking charge on one occasion, breakfast for 1 on a different occasion.

Had to grumble about the temperature of the jacuzzi, it was down around 90deg - oddly, whoever I talked to on the phone seemed to think that was a perfectly normal temperature, but either way it was 101 the next morning.

uggboy likes this.
  4. I stayed here for the first time a couple of weeks ago to go to a Nuggets game. As a diamond, I was upgraded to a corner king which was nice--it was very quiet. I used the valet which was fine. I thought the club lounge was very nice. A decent spread in the afternoon and breakfast, while not hot, was good (and healthier). My points did not post correctly, and while I know that we always have to call, it does seem like it's been worse lately. For stays in downtown Denver, this certainly isn't a bad property--I would pay a few dollars a night more to stay at the Regency.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also stayed here a few times. It is an average Hyatt... which is a good thing to say. It is reliable and comfortable.

uggboy likes this.
  6. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at this property, four times in December. Compared to the HR, I prefer the Grand Hyatt. It's not as busy as the HR, and the rooms are a little more elegant. I feel as though the HR is a bit sterile.. I was given a corner king room during my last stay, which had a very large window ^

uggboy likes this.
  7. Suliman
    Original Member

Suliman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm using a confirmed suite upgrade next weekend... hoping I'll get an executive suite. Any other experiences? The bar was set pretty high, actually, as I received the presidential suite on my last stay (normal stay) there.

uggboy likes this.
  8. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was in an executive suite (using a confirmed suite upgrade) so I believe this is the category suite they book into. We were in 401 (the lowest guest room floor so the view wasn't good at all) but the room itself was quite nice - a large living roo with a large desk area with the ability to see the large flat screen from all parts of the room, a good sized bedroom (but with a strange closet - a bit narrow but deep) and the bathroom is fairly spacious but only 1 sink on the vanity - a large soaking tub (not jetted) with the shower over it (no separate shower stall).

uggboy and Suliman like this.
  9. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kudos to a great inspired team making Hyatt proud in Denver for the Star Mega Do :cool:
    It was a pleasure to stay in the hotel as so many of the team members were friendly and welcoming
    My only let down was food and beverage which I would call below average.
    Not up to Hyatts typical high standards.Fish wasn't fresh and execution was poor.Pork looked good but was tough.Baking uninspired.
    It was also the first time ever as a Diamond member the upgrade was poor in every Hyatt on the trip
    That said once I understood the amount of Diamonds attending I was fully understanding in the spirit of community.I would be inclined to try the newer Hyatt by the convention center in the future to see how it compares provided its not hosting an actual convention.Its my thought that becuase all Diamonds were barred from the Regency Clubs to prevent overcrowding the in room amenity could have been a bit stronger.
    Just a little nit pick.

uggboy likes this.
  10. hobo13
    Original Member

hobo13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, gonna book my final mattress run night for 12/30 to requal Diamond. The rates are great! $75 Advance purchase rate, or $80 for the AAA breakfast rate. I assume that if I book the AP rate, I get breakfast in the club (assuming it's open on Sat). My gut says the buffet is worth $5 more, i.e. $2.50 each for myself and my wife. (And yes, my gut can eat a lot of breakfast!)

Anything I'm missing here?

uggboy likes this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That club is open on Saturday. It's a fairly newly renovated club. I've never been a huge fan of the food here. It's always seemed like this property should be the Regency, and the Regency down the block should be the Grand.

That being said, they did renovate the restaurant recently, so the food quality may have improved. Also, I can't imagine you won't get your money's worth on the $5.

uggboy likes this.
  12. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'd definitely do the $80 AAA rate especially since it's cancellable while the $75 one isn't.

uggboy likes this.
  13. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here on 12/16. We booked the corner king, and it was very spacious and I was pleased with the room.

When we were checking in, the front desk staff made a bit of a snide comment about the room being booked through Expedia and how Expedia rooms can sometimes be a hassle (booked with an Expedia BRG coupon during a sale, $53 total). It was a bit awkward, but other than that we had a pleasant stay.

If the rates were similar, though, I would choose the Hyatt Regency down the street next time.

14. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the review above. My problem is that I had to call about both of my stays last week. One posted as 0-point award stay, even though it was a paid room booked on hyatt.com and upgraded with Diamond suite certificate. The other one had Internet charges on the final bill, even though my Diamond number was on file. I was checking out at 4:30 am and did not notice the extra line. Yes, I know the calls are quick and painless, but the point remains: I spent 50 nights at various Marriotts last year and never had an issue with points posting or Internet charges appearing on my bill. Not once.

The (new?) way of retrieving parked car via a text message to valet did not work for me this morning, possibly due the early checkout time.

I'll have to give Hyatt Regency a try next time I'm in Denver.

uggboy, rharrigill and TAHKUCT like this.
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I definitely would recommend trying the Hyatt Regency. It's one of my favorite Hyatt properties. Even before I started spending large chunks of time at this property the Diamond recognition was still great.

I also feel like in this market, the Regency should be the Grand and the Grand should be the Regency. The Regency is vey contemporary, definitely has a big city feel even though Denver is not a huge metropolitan area. The on-site food outlets are also significantly better than the Grand.

16. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone stayed at this hotel since it's been renovated? Looking to book a night in Denver coming up and trying to figure out if I want to stay at this property or the Regency down the street.

EDIT: I think I'll give the renovated Grand Hyatt a try again since it's just one night. I plan to report back with details and pictures.

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've stayed in the renovated rooms. They're a vast improvement over the previous rooms but I still strongly prefer the Regency down the street for a number of reasons. If you want a detailed report, let me know.

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I realized I hadn't posted my review and pics of the renovated rooms. Happy to answer questions. When I was last there the lobby and bar had not been renovated yet:

I spend a pretty significant number of nights in Denver, and most of that time is at the Hyatt Regency Convention Center. I've firmly held to the belief that in this market the Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency are reversed, with the Regency being the far superior property. I'm starting to reconsider this stance.
    I checked in to the Grand Hyatt Denver for a one night stay last night. I've probably stayed at this property a dozen or so times over the past two years and I've never been put in a club room. I've been upgraded to suites on lower floors which were nice, but this was my first stay in a club room. I was under the impression that all the rooms (except for one show room) were waiting to be renovated. This hotel is owned by a group in California, so not a "corporate" Hyatt, and my understanding is that the budget wasn't available yet.
    Not sure how long the club rooms have been renovated, but I really enjoyed almost everything about the room. The rooms are more dark woods and earth tones where the old rooms were lighter.
    [​IMG]

The bathrooms are a huge improvement as well. The shower has two shower heads, one of which is a rain shower head. I LOVE those types of showers (the best one I've experienced is in the DFW Admirals Club in the A terminal), so was really pleased to see it. I wish they had gone with a slightly deeper sink. It's not the first time I've seen a sink of this type in a room. They look great, but end up splashing all over the place because they're too shallow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The desk surface was a bit smaller than I would prefer for working and eating at the same time. But, this is one area where they really went above and beyond most other domestic US hotels for the business traveler. The desk has FOUR electrical outlets all conveniently located. I think this is the first US hotel I can remember that had it organized this well. And, each night stand (on both sides of the bed) had an additional two outlets located perfectly.
    There's also two reading lights located on the headboard that look like they would come in handy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, I think the hotel did a decent job of improving their food quality. I never really enjoyed eating at this property in the past. While I haven't sat down in the restaurant since it was renovated, I did order room service. I had an gnocchi appetizer, a dish of risotto with soy beans and corn, and a chicken panini.

I found the choice of a currant jam (I think that's what it was) as an accompaniment for the risotto quite odd when I ordered the dish, but figured it was worth trying. I really don't think it added to the dish. It felt more like a chef trying to force something to sound more interesting. That being said, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to risotto, so maybe I'm not the target audience.

All in all, I think they did a solid job with the renovations of the club rooms. I'm a Diamond member and I stay in Denver quite a bit. If this hotel would guarantee me a club room as an upgrade, I'd have to give serious consideration to which Denver property I'd hang out at.

wombat18 and uggboy like this.
  19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, and FWIW, I just found out that the Regency is refreshing all their rooms this fall, to be done January 2014. I'll be viewing a sample room in a few weeks, so that could firmly put the Grand behind the Regency again. ;)

rharrigill likes this.
  20. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news. I've always enjoyed the Regency, but the rooms felt too generic. Looming forward to the refresh.

Personally, the GH > HR.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

21. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    To each their own. :)

I've always been disappointed in the room quality at GH. The F&B was always pretty sub- standard compared to the Regency. I wouldn't mind that changing, but I haven't seen strong evidence of F&B progress yet. Rooms definitely improved.

22. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    @ pizzaman,
    Random DEN question. We ate at Beau Jo's pizza in Idaho Springs, CO. It was really a great experience. Wonder if you liked Beau Jo's...considering that you seem to like Pizzas! (based on username!):)

23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I haven't, but I also haven't made it up to Idaho Springs. I do enjoy Proto's, a local CO chain that has a handful of locations.

snod08 likes this.
  24. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, will look that up next time.

25. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed two nights at the GH Denver last month. I used points to upgrade to a suite and found it to be pretty nice. There were some issues with our stay, but that's not the point of this post. I just wanted to post some pictures of a suite (room 1001) in case it can be of use to anyone else.

And just for the record, this suite upgrade did not come with access to the Grand Club.

Please excuse the halfway made bed and the poor photo quality!

photo 5.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG