Grand Hyatt Baha Mar, Bahamas, announced

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by SC Flier, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thenassauguardian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11904&Itemid=27

Baha Mar, in a press release, revealed yesterday that Hyatt Hotels Corporation will operate and manage the development’s 700-room Grand Hyatt convention hotel, while Morgans Hotel Group will operate and manage the development’s 300-room luxury lifestyle hotel under its Mondrian brand, and Rosewood Hotels and Resorts will operate and manage the development’s 200-room luxury hotel.​

These three new properties were originally planned to be a Westin, W, and St Regis. Opening date is forecast for 2014ish. These properties are in addition to the existing Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort.

A win for Hyatt. A loss for SPG. Overall, a big loss for guests who were looking forward to awards at the high-end properties.

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I'm a bit slow this morning, I looked at a number of relases & info, I could not find what Bahamian island the resort is being built on.

uggboy and SC Flier like this.
  3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's at Cable Beach near Nassau on New Providence island. Fly into NAS.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    excellent, I was hoping the resort was going to be built on New Providence, an easy cab ride from NAS, plus the dining options of Nassau. Thanks for posting.

uggboy likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is. And in years prior, it was discussed in the SPG forum. IIRC, it was originally announced in 2007 among much fanfare and was forecast to open in 2010. Harrah's was originally going to open a 1,000-room Caesar's property, but they later pulled out of the whole project.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While they all pulled out, Hyatt came in! Excellent addition! Thanks for sharing insights!:)