Grand Hyatt Atlanta in Buckhead-Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Pizzaman, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had a one-night stay here about 3 weeks ago. It was my first time at the property.

Valet service was very attentive. I was greeted as soon as I pulled up, offered help with my bags. The door was held open for me, and I was directed to the front desk.

Check-in was very straight-forward. I was given a brief description of the property. When I inquired about a suite, the agent checking me in said he had some nice rooms available. He told me he could call the Diamond desk and redeem one of my certificates for suite upgrade. In the end, I decided against it, but the desk was very accommodating to my inquiries.

My room was on one of the top floors, a club floor. The room itself was nicely appointed. Flat screen television, comfortable soft seating. The bathroom was oversized for a standard room. The room had a refrigerator as well, although I don't know if that's standard.

There are two restaurants at the hotel, Cassis and Onyx. Cassis was closed, so I went to hang out at Onyx. Onyx is essentially a lobby bar with a very enjoyable setting. The windows look out over a garden. There are a bunch of soft seating areas that are secluded from the main bar area. They're very comfortable, and sufficiently private for business meetings or a casual dinner.

Onyx has a decent wine list, but where it really took off for me was with some of the menu choices. It's a varied menu, with such Atlanta staples as fried green tomatoes. They have some flatbread pizzas that were pretty darn good. But, the highlight was short rib ravioli. I've never had a short rib ravioli before. It was awesome. Bar none, probably the single best item I've ever had in a hotel lobby bar.

In the morning, the club lounge was right down the hallway from my room. The lounge is smaller than some of the other Hyatts I've stayed at. They way overcompensate for the lack of size by having a full hot breakfast buffet out in the hallway. Definitely the best lounge breakfast I've had at pretty much any chain hotel in the domestic US.

As this was a one-night stay, I did not use the exercise facility or pool.

Overall, I would rank this Grand Hyatt experience as my best one so far. That's only somewhere between half a dozen and a dozen. And, I suspect some of the positive experience here is based on the fact that the Buckhead market has a number of upscale properties, so competition for high end rooms may be more prevalent. All in all, I would highly recommend the property.

Cholula, Wurm and flyingdawg like this.
  2. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review, I remember this property opening as the Nikko - it was re-flagged as a Hyatt not long after. Does the hotel retain the Asian-inspired design motif it had at its opening?

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I should have commented on that. I didn't realize this was the Nikko, but the Asian garden off the main lobby makes much more sense now. :)

The rooms have the distinctive Grand Hyatt feel, but there appear to be a few remnants of the Asian inspiration now that you've made that connection for me.

Cholula likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Grand Hyatt Atlanta is on offer at Jetsetter.com for $105/night.
    [​IMG]

flyingdawg, uggboy and cennas like this.
  5. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Are you sure that pic is of the GH ATL - it looks like the HR ATL to me (never stayed at the GH ATL though).

uggboy likes this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, that definitely doesn't look like the GH I stayed at.

uggboy likes this.
  7. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The photo is definitely from the lobby of the Regency.

Anyways, I recently stayed here and was truly impressed. I arrived late in the evening and the hotel was sold out. Given a KING room on the 16th floor and it turned out the bed was to soft for my liking. So I called down asked for a bed board to be deliviered and it never arrived. After I went to bed my phone rings telling me they would like to install the board. This is about 2 hours after my original request way past midnight. I decline since I dont want to get dressed again. When I went to check out the next morning and asked how my stay was I just said: So so. On my way to the airport the phone rings and the FD clerk calls to apologize for the inconvience and tells me they are crediting 10,000 points to my account. Sometime in the afternoon I also got an email from the FO Manager stating the same thing as I was told earlier. I never complained about it and didn't consider it to be that big of a deal. That's what I call proactive customer service and what Hyatt is all about.

flyingdawg, uggboy and cennas like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome value for a Grand Hyatt plus the elite location to match!:)

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there a year or so ago and was a little underwhelmed by the room--in fact it was a suite. I burned one of my suite upgrades as they were about to expire. It was a while ago but I remember this strong sense of 'this needs to be renovated'. It was on the weekend and a very good value.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The regular suites are extremely underwhelming, but I will say I did like the Governor's Suite with living room, dining area, kitchen, and full size bedroom with 1.5 baths.

uggboy likes this.
  12. jmgriffin

jmgriffin Silver Member

Status Points:
    For all the pictures and review check out the full post here: Weekend Blitz - GRAND HYATT ATLANTA IN BUCKHEAD REVIEW – ATLANTA, GEORGIA

---------------------------------

Grand Hyatt Atlanta in Buckhead - Hyatt Category 5
    3300 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30305
    Award Redemption: 12,000 pts
    Normal rate: Varies b/t $206-$329, average around $296
    Hyatt Gold Passport points return: 1.72 - 2.67 cents/points = average return

BOOKING/CHECK-IN

The hotel has a rather grand entrance (quite fitting, no?), with a pull-through valet area situated pretty far back on the lot, getting you away from busy Peachtree Road. The valet will charge $32/night to park it for you; alternatively, you can leave the car with them for 15-30 mins and then park it yourself in Hyatt garage for $20/night. To access the garage, you'll have to cross the street and take an additional elevator, though. I prefer the self-park for $20/night.

I've had 2 stays at this property recently-- both stays booked at a special rate just a few days before check-in. Check-in has always been a breeze here, with the staff going above and beyond to welcome me for being a "loyal Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member."

Stay 1: I applied for the Hyatt Diamond Status Challenge earlier this year and this was literally my first Hyatt stay ever-- and my first stay with Hyatt Diamond status applied. I booked a "Standard 1 King," got to the check-in counter and was thanked profusely for being a Hyatt Diamond member. The agent explained that the hotel was at full occupancy for the night and that they had upgraded me to the "Luxury Suite." This is an appx 4 tier upgrade.

Stay 2: I checked in around 1pm on a Sunday and, again, received excellent, enthusiastic service from the front desk agent. While I was technically upgraded from a "Standard 1 King" to a "Grand Club 1 King, " (1 tier upgrade), this isn't really an upgrade at all. The room is the exact same size but on the Grand Club floor. The agent then explained that, as a Diamond, you get free Grand Club Lounge access, which includes breakfast in the mornings. But, because there's no club lounge breakfast on Mondays, they would instead give me free breakfast in the normal restaurant and an additional 2,500 Gold Passport points for the inconvenience. This is a true win-win. The lesson learned here: always try to have a Sunday night stay at this property.

• Standard: 1 King, 2 Doubles - 400 sq. feet. (1st stay BOOKED) (2nd stay BOOKED)
    • Grand Club: 1 King, 2 Doubles - pretty sure it's the exact same room as "Standard" but on Club floor with Grand Club access. (2nd stay RECEIVED)
    • View: Corner King - 450 sq. feet.
    • Executive Suite - 650-700 sq. feet. - Balcony & seperate sitting area
    • Luxury Suite - 1,240 square foot - Kitchenette/wet bar - 1.5 baths. (1st stay Received)
    • Governor Suite - 1,800 square foot - Kitchenette/wet bar AND furnished terrace/balcony - 1.5 baths
    • Presidential Suite - 2,500 square foot - Kitchenette/wet bar AND furnished terrace/balcony - 1.5 baths
    • THE ROOM

Stay 1: Pretty awesome room, appx 3x bigger than the standard rooms with a large living room, wet bar, half bath, huge seating area and dining room table. A mini fridge was stocked with complimentary soft drinks and water. The king bedroom has it's own door and oversized bathroom with jacuzzi tub and a seperate large shower.

[​IMG]
    Living room of Luxury Suite​

Full photo gallery: http://www.weekendblitz.com/grand-hyatt-atlanta-in-buckhead-review-atlanta-georgia/#the-room

Stay 2: The room felt kind of small, definitely not 400 sq feet worth. Well appointed, clean and fresh feeling. No idea when it was built/renovated but it is still in very good shape. Nice marble bathroom, quite spacious.

[​IMG]
    Grand Club King Room​

Full photo gallery: http://www.weekendblitz.com/grand-hyatt-atlanta-in-buckhead-review-atlanta-georgia/#the-room

THE GYM

Above average gym complete with sauna and steam room.

[​IMG]

LOBBY/BARS/RESTAURANTS/ROOM-SERVICE

You've got a few eating and drinking choices at the property:

• Onyx at the Grand -- pretty good lobby bar, good atmosphere. Mostly drinks available, very light snacks.

• Onyx at the Grand Coffee Bar -- full service coffee and snacks in the am.
    • Cassis -- full service restaurant open for breakfast and lunch. Because the Grand Club is closed on Monday mornings, I got a free voucher for breakfast in Cassis. The server explained the breakfast coupon was good for the FULL AMERICAN BREAKFAST ($22) or anything else on the menu up to $22.
    • Grand Club -- free for Diamond members. Breakfast in the mornings around 6-9:30am and appetizers from 5-9pm. Pretty typical club lounge-- good place to grab some quick breakfast.

[​IMG]

OTHER SERVICES

The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle within 2.0 miles of the hotel--that'll allow you to get to just about anywhere in Buckhead (saving a good bit on cabs). Pretty cool outdoor Japanese-style Zen Garden and outdoor heated pool.

[​IMG]

BOTTOM LINE: Great property in the heart of Buckhead. The standard rooms might feel a little small, but the excellent Hyatt Diamond recognition, attentive service and amenities like a sauna, steam room, heated pool, Grand Club access and free transportation within 2 miles of the hotel make this one of the top choices in the area.
    ----------------------------------------
    For all the pictures and review check out the full post here: Weekend Blitz - GRAND HYATT ATLANTA IN BUCKHEAD REVIEW – ATLANTA, GEORGIA

13. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been here since this was the hotel Nikko.