Grand Hotel Stockholm Sweden

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by TRAVELSIG, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Grand Hotel in Stockholm is located directly on the Harbour with convenient connections to the ferry services and walking distance to many good restaurants and the Theatre etc.

The hotel currently is part of the Leading Hotels of the World- and the hotel really respects the Leaders Club benefits. The building is quite beautiful- it was built in 1874 and has recently also annexed the structure next door which was previously another hotel- it has been completely rennovated and offers very nice rooms with views over the harbour of Stockholm.

In terms of F&B outlets- there are several- I personally like the Veranda as it has good service and a great view of the harbour. The showcase restaurant of the hotel, and maybe even Stockholm is Mathias Dalgren- which has many ratings including recently "Top 50 restaurants in the world from San Pellegrion"- it is very good however in Stockholm there are so many good restaurants that I find it a shame to stay in the hotel. The bar is usually packed with various local "celebrities"- in any event it is a nice place to meet people.

The service is excellent- which is not that common in Stockholm- and the staff remember repeat guests and greet them by name. The conceirge has also helped me with reservations to sold out restaurants without a problem.

The one and only caveat is that you should not book the smallest rooms- the "single" room is 15 square metres. Book at least a Premium Double room- and then also if you are Leaders Club you will get an upgrade if the hotel is not full.

I have stayed at many other hotels in Stockholm- and always end up regretting that I didn't stay at the Grand- and usually end up moving halfway through my stay back to the Grand.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know whether this property has yet installed central air conditioning? I last stayed here during a heat wave and not only was there no AC but the hotel also ran out of portable fans. At that time, LHW and FHR were pressuring them to put in AC but the hotel was resisting, due to environmental concerns and the difficulty ot installing AC into such a historic building.

The first time I stayed here I had a rather small single room on the top floor, which I think was once a room for a governess or personal maid. It looked over the water and I had the best view in the house, so some small rooms here can be exceptional.

I've also been upgraded to some unique miniature one-bedroom suites that are on the top floor and accessed by a half flight of stairs. These are fun, but would be extremely crowded for two people.

3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not regard this hotel, or indeed any hotel in Stockholm, as a luxury hotel. Rooms at the Grand vary tremendously, and I have been put in some truly awful rooms before giving up on this hotel. Contrary to the first poster, I found service never to be better than mediocre and often downright poor.

Not so sure I'd rely on restaurant recommendations made by a company that sells carbonated water.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    As compared to a tire or vacuum cleaner company :)?

5. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

WearyBizTrvlr Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm afraid I'm with RichardInSF on this one. While I haven't been to Stockholm in a year or two, my stays at the Grand were largely forgettable, much like other hotels in the Nordic region. The only exception to this would be Hotel Kamp in Helsinki.

RichardInSF likes this.
  6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, the tire company has a lot of independent inspectors and isn't likely to be a supplier to any of the restaurants it rates, unlike Pellegrino which I think has neither inspectors nor independence.

Dunno about vacuum cleaner companies, do they rate restaurants too? That would be a clean sweep!

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may be right about Pellegrino and independence- excellent point.

Miele, on the other hand, has excellent guides to Asia for restaurants- I have used the new one, and it is very accurate:
    http://mieleguide.com/welcome?b=/

8. SocialAdept
    Original Member

SocialAdept Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mattias Dahlgren has two stars in the Michelin guide so what's the problem?

(+1 * for the adjacent Matbaren)

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point SocialAdept!

10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't have been any problem had that been mentioned initially.

11. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at this hotel many times in the past with FHR. I always at check in would push for a larger room and always gotten a nice upgrade. It's a very nice hotel if you are in a good room.

12. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    i totally agree. was expecting much more when i checked into the Grand.
    on the other hand, the Hotel Kamp exceeded my expectations.

RichardInSF likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was in the sentence "this restaurant has many ratings..."- if you have stayed at the hotel many times presumably you are familiar with the various awards. Have a nice weekend,
    Travelsig.

14. Mark.Dragon
    Original Member

Mark.Dragon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been there 3 Nights last June and i was very satisfied with the Hotel!
    Its have a nice panoramic view, is very near to the interesting places for sightseeing and also its a typical "old" nordic style Hotel..
    I just booked a "Standartroom" and as a Ambassador i get a Upgrade to the next category! [​IMG]

The room with view to the "Royal Palace"
    Image00001.jpg

The Royal Castle by Night -> seen from Hotelroom
    Image00002.jpg

The Grand Hotel Stockholm seen from Seaside
    Image00003.jpg

Its just sad that this Hotel seems not to belong anymore to the IHG Group!?

greetings Mark

uggboy and SocialAdept like this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great Photos!
    Unfortunately the hotel is not any longer affiliated with I.C.
    It still is a Leading Hotel of the World- if you have a membership with them you will get some benefits.

16. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's also still with Amex FHR. You will get an upgrade, free breakfast, etc.

RichardInSF likes this.