Grand Cayman - What to Do/Where to Eat/Where to Stay

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by Sweet Willie, Mar 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a search & noticed that there isn't a thread on Grand Cayman yet, so here we go.

Mrs Willie & I are heading to Grand Cayman the third week in Dec 2015.

Most of our nights will be in a condo at the Plantation Village Beach Resort http://www.plantationvillage.com/villas.asp
    Curious if anyone has been there or if you have other lodging experience on Grand Cayman you'd suggest.

Any good restaurant recommendations & what does the restaurant prepare well?

What activities? (besides sunsets & beaching it:D)

We were on Grand Cayman years ago, the activity I remember the best was scuba at Stingray City site (there is snorkeling trips there as well), here is a youtube vid on Stingray City:

-

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeing as we'll be in a condo, I was curious about grocery stores & markets:
    Found this list of grocery stores/markets. Also talks about where to purchase fresh fish and lists a few Farmer’s Markets

http://www.caymannewresident.com/Grocery-Stores

website also has info on activities, fishing, boat rental & lots of other Cayman info.
    -

Newscience, legalalien and uggboy like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience, legalalien and uggboy like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't you catch your own fresh fish?

Will the condo have outdoor grills?

uggboy, Sweet Willie and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a great idea, Sweet Willie! It's been a few years since we've been to Grand Cayman, and December sounds like a great time to go there! I'd also look for a fisherman's market where the locals can buy their fresh fish and lobsters daily. We did that when we stayed at a local apartment in Aruba a while ago, and enjoyed the fresh caught shrimp bought at the local market! ;)

The link you found looks pretty darned good! Here's another, but I think that you've already got most of the information that you'll need. Have fun!

http://www.casacaribecayman.com/grand-cayman/supermarkets

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could & have caught my own fish, I'm being lazy & don't want to clean the catch, but maybe I'll change my mind the closer the trip gets.

Yes, there are outdoor grills that I'll be able to cook on, good question.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    no way, one can always benefit from more feedback, so please anyone that has input on Cayman, please share.

I like the idea of some Caribbean lobster on the grill with a little ginger butter. yes!

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    SW. . . might want to check on some of the foodie sites. In late January, they had a Foodie Festival with several celebrity chefs on GC. (Bourdain, etc.) so there is probably some decent vittles.

Newscience, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a local branch of my favorite Miami restaurant, Michael's Genuine Food and Drink which is quite decent.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Newscience, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the laundering of money the national sport on the island?

Newscience likes this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my visit in the 90s, as Mrs SW likes to sleep in, I went into a couple banks and inquired about offshore, you can best believe that they had already assembled, full informational packets available for me.
    thank you, http://michaelsgenuine.com/grand-cayman/
    before seeing your post, I had just read an interview with chef Eric Rippert, one of Bourdain's buddies, where he talked about the GC food fest. Quite a number of pros attended in past: http://www.caribjournal.com/2014/01...eric-ripert-headline-start-of-cayman-cookout/
    -

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Newscience likes this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok, trip is less than 1 month away, any last tips/feedback? thanks!

satman40 likes this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bring Cash, do not forget to feed the Sting Rays...

Lot of Chicago People winter there..

Enjoy your walks on the beach, and have a great time.....we did...

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    check

One on my nephews has been all over the idea to book a Jetovator, I have to say I'm a bit giddy to try it:
    -

15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Willie,

I own a timeshare there and actually just bought another week. Unfortunately the developer will be selling the units in ten years and paying me off. The good thing about the timeshares there is that you own a percentage of the unit, although most of the units have already been sold as condos. I should actually make a small profit when it is sold, although I would rather keep it in perpetuity. We have a three bedroom ocean front which is a great unit as we have a screened in balcony right on the water and the views are amazing. It is nothing fancy, but it is around 1800 sq feet and I really enjoy kicking back there now knowing many of the people who go there the same time as us. We have been going for ten years now in October. There are two pools, but the one that is ocean front is a much better place to hang out. The beach is quite small as the hurricane wiped out most of it. There are tons of great places to eat. I like Pappagallo and Guy Harvey. There are some amazing local places like Rankins for jerk, Willie's fruit stand for fruit and smoothies, and you have to try Heritage Kitchen for ribs. The Grand Old House is quite nice and Blue at the Ritz is amazing if you don't mind pricey. Lots of really great restaurants there with almost any kind of food you could ask for. Check the local paper for daily specials at several of the restaurants. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Marc, the ocean front units were nice, we were in the back of the property which at $900 for a 2 bedroom condo for a week during high season I was more than fine with.

I found out that Plantation Village was the first timeshare built on Grand Cayman. We were very pleased at the location. Condition was used but certainly clean & nice enough. Not a fan of electric stove tops but was able to make it work.

The beach area is small but when we decided to be on the beach, we always were able to find 6 chaise lounges worth of space. After walking along 7 mile beach and seeing how packed like sardines the Marriott & other locations were, we were VERY happy with the relaxed, fewer people atmosphere of Plantation Village. When not in the ocean we actually preferred the rear pool as there was almost no one there most of the time.

We liked that the property had large gas grills available to cook on, there were two sets that we found, one by the tennis court & the other by the parking lot.

Other notes of our trip to follow when I get some time.

17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did a lot of cooking as the condo kitchen was fully equipped.

We shopped at both single location Kirk market http://kirkmarket.ky/ & Fosters http://fosters-iga.com/fff/ which has a number of locations. We preferred Kirk and found no real cost savings by shopping at Fosters. I'd give the nod to Kirk's for being more upscale.

Fisherman bring in their local catch which is cleaned up under a tent along the water, just south of Cassanova by the Sea Restaurant in downtown Georgetown. Fresh snapper, trigger, wahoo, barracuda just to name a few fish varieties we saw & purchased. The barracuda was an AMAZING fish, fantastic flavor/texture. The wahoo & barracuda were about $7US a lb, which is far cheaper than what the stores sell fish for. TIP: bring an ice cooler for the fish as there is no refrigeration in the cleaning area & Cayman is WARM, plus for juices that may leak out are better in the bottom of a cooler than on the carpet of your rental car.

Booze: Duty free before you arrive onto Cayman is the way to go. A liter of Tito's vodka was only $19 at Duty Free in Charlotte Airport yet $49 on Cayman. A case of Miller Lite is $49 as well. The markets listed above do not sell any alcohol, there are plenty of liquor stores on the island, Blackbeard's & Big Daddy's (both have websites) are all over the island & open late.

NOTE: on Sunday no markets are open, so if arriving on a Saturday like we did, make sure you stock up.
    -