Grand Canyon best viewpoint

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Montana88, Mar 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Montana88

Montana88 New Member

Status Points:
    Tally ho!

What is your favorite viewpoint of the Grand Canyon? We are visiting the Canyon this autumn, and the million-dollar-question (well, at least a couple of hundred dollars!) is: where is the best viewpoint of the Grand Canyon?

Preferably a place you can drive to, and walk then to in under 30 minutes.

Brgrds, future road-tripper in LV-area with a tad bit of a lazy side :)

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually the best view of the Grand Canyon is . . .. . . any of them. If you have never been to the Grand Canyon, any view will astound you. To get the full feeling of just how large and impressive it is, you really need to get below the Rim. Take Bright Angel Trail down about a half mile and refocus your thoughts.

I often tell my customers that are taking their first trip to the Grand Canyon, that the most frequent response to the first view is, "Holy ****, it is real" (fill in the **** with your favorite expletive).

You can get a good feeling for the Grand Canyon from Grand Canyon Village, and Mather Point. But in my opinion, the Grand Canyon is a place to experience, not just go see it from a viewpoint. That is probably why they sell the admission for 7 days rather than an hour or two. Take your time, enjoy the view from several places. Ponder your insignificance in the world where nature creates places like the Grand Canyon.

3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with Mapsmith. Also, be sure to see the Canyon at sunrise and sunset. The colors and depth of the Canyon seem to change dramatically at those times of the day.

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been more than forty years since I hiked to the bottom of the canyon, but I can still remember what an amazing hike it was. It felt like a journey back through time as I walked down and up through the striations of rock. So, definitely take the time to do a hike!

5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been there twice over the years and well worth the visits, both times driving from Las Vegas. Easy to get to the South Rim from Williams or Flagstaff, with many parking and viewing spots along the rim. Probably more viewpoints along the south side then the northern rim. Early morning and late afternoon will let you see the changing colors on the rocks, which are truly amazing. Don`t wait too late in Autumn to visit the Canyon, as the weather may be colder by then. Our first trip years ago was in late March and we had flurries when we got to the Canyon. Second trip many years later was during the first week of May, and we left LV in warm, bright sunshine, but along I-40 halfway to Flagstaff we hit a snowstorm with whiteouts so severe that we had to stop for lunch along the way to await the storm passing. After lunch we left the restaurant to find a foot of snow on the roof of our car, but warmer and sunny by then so the snow was gone quickly.

If you have the time, stay overnight in Williams or Flagstaff (more choice of properties in Flagstaff) and that would give you a full day wondering around the many different viewpoints at the Canyon. Just over an hour drive from either one to the Canyon, and more time to enjoy the views.

Wonderful sight and somewhere I`ve told friends and family that everyone should see the Grand Canyon at least once in their lifetime. Truly amazing! Enjoy your trip.

uggboy, ella, Mapsmith and 2 others like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    We took a helicopter tour and traveled by car, east to west on the south rim. I have more pics to post if anyone is interested. FYI, the wildlife is INCREDIBLE!

8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And look out for those sandwich-eating-people-chasing squirrels, who chased my wife all over the lookout area when she fed a small piece if her sandwich to another squirrel.

(The squirrels won!).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    uggboy, Mapsmith and miles and smiles like this.
  9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

Be forewarned, They have instituted remote parking and shuttle buses except for tour Buses and Handicapped for most of the Tourist Season. This is to reduce automobile congestion and pollution along the rim. I haven't been there yet, but people do say it works really well. They have you park at Tusayan and you catch the shuttle there.

10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope they've expanded the parking lot area in that case, as it wasn't very large when we were there, so we didn't even stop at that point, instead venturing along the rim, first towards the west then doubling back along the rim road all the way eastward.

uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The train from Williams (http://www.thetrain.com/) is enjoyable way to get there and back. You can go up on the morning train, stay a few days, and return on an evening train.

HOWEVER, my best experience was the North Rim of the Canyon. Very few people as it is difficult to get to, but worth the hassle, IMO. (Note that, unlike some maps, you cannot just cross from the South to the North Rim; you have to go around which takes several hours.)

12. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    New parking lot supposedly can handle between 600 and 1200 vehicles at peak times. (although there have been discussions about reserving spaces through Aramark) Parking lot is back in the woods.
    North rim is nice, but the views are actually better from the South Rim (or better yet from the River at the bottom. Point Imperial is probably the most dramatic from the South Rim, but it is VERY difficult to get to and takes about 2.5 hours from the main road. For a really, really, really impressive view, try Toroweap.

A few years ago, Arizona Highways, declared it the Scariest place on Earth. Sheer Drop of 3000+ feet. Supposedly a Jet Pilot was so overcome by Vertigo, that he grabbed onto a small pine tree at the top and it took a couple of hours before he would let go.

https://roadtrippers.com/us/az/nature/toroweap-overlook

uggboy and miles and smiles like this.
  13. Montana88

Montana88 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for good feedbacks!

miles and smiles likes this.
  14. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, best view is from North Rim. From Grand Canyon Lodge or from various viepoint near Lodge... all within a few miles from Lodge, easily accessible by car