GPU's (aka: SWU's) success for 2012

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AZjohn, Feb 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought a thread on GPU’s (aka: SWU’s) success for 2012 would be interesting.

Below is a list of my own UG’s I had success with so far in 2012, but need to point out a few facts regarding my results:

1. I promised myself last year I will never again waitlist for an UG using a SWU and buying W+ fares again. I am very happy I did not have to compromise this goal on my personal trips (key words is personal trips).

2. All $ for the below trips were out of my pocket. Company flights haven’t started yet (likely next month) so I will likely have to break fact #1 above and waitlist for those.

3. Only one of the trips below was the exact date and flights I wanted. All others were different dates and/or flights then my preference (in other words, I had to be flexible with dates and routes).

4. Spent way too much time on EF looking for NC/NF availability, but worth it to me.

5. All bookings were either W or V fares. These fares average 29% higher in cost then previous year.

· Jan 2012: TUS-DEN-ZRH (booked 8 months out, NC/NF cleared at booking)

· Feb 2012: FRA-SFO-OGG (booked 9 months out, NC/NF cleared at booking)

· March 2012: OGG-LAX-EWR-LHR (booked 8 months out, NC/NF cleared at booking)

· May 2012: ZRH-EWR-PHX (booked 10 months out, NC/NF cleared at booking)

· May 2012: PHX-EWR-ZRH (booked 7 month outs, NC/NF cleared at booking)

· Nov 2012: LHR-LAX (booked 10 months out, NC cleared at booking)

· Nov 2012: LAX-LHR (booked 9 months out, NC cleared at booking)

· Dec 2012: ZRH-IAD-LAX (booked 10 months out, NC/NF cleared at booking)

In summary, I feel very lucky I was able to find NC/NF availability so my UG’s cleared at booking. But, as I said at first, these were personal trips I had flexibility with and could book long in advance. Work related international travel will be something of a different result (I think), but would like to hear how everyone else is doing.
    Cheers,
    John

IDGflygirl, NYCUA1K and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a really nice vacation schedule/list of destinations for one year...I want your vacation time!

Flyer1976 and AZjohn like this.
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, half are going to vacations, the other half is getting back to Switzerland to work.
    But yes, I do get a lot more vacation time then I got in the US :)

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had EWR-ARN, MUC-EWR and FRA-EWR all clear on W fares. Only the first cleared at booking. All were booked 3 months out or closer.

IDGflygirl and AZjohn like this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've just cleared into p.s. C for next week. SFO-JFK 7 days out. Using a 2010 CO SWU (yes, yes, I know...no other oppo but they're about to expire). One more sector is still waitlisted using another 2010 SWU. This is the return from JFK to LAX.

AZjohn likes this.
  6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked and cleared IAD-CDG and FRA-IAD (W bucket with an SWU). Oh yeah, CLT-IAD and reverse cleared there too. Know Y'all were concerned.:p:D

AZjohn likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is fantastic that you can clear GPUs for trips as far out as Nov and Dec! I was not aware that the upgrade seat inventory could be determined that far ahead of time, since the business travelers, who tend to purchase C or F tickets, do so closer to the departure date, so that airlines generally do not release seats for upgrade until they are sure that they would not be selling many more..

As for my trips, I have only booked one so far that will try to upgrade with GPUs:

May 2012, RT: JFK-LAX-SYD-MEL (Booked Feb 4, W Fare, all segments waitlisted).

AZjohn likes this.
  8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have LAX-SFO-HKG booked in April (purchased in December 2011), and the return cleared at booking, but I'm still waitlisted for the outbound int'l segment. W-fare, 2011-12 GPU.

AZjohn likes this.
  9. johnmontfx

johnmontfx Active Member

Status Points:
    Pretty good so far from my standpoint:

Feb 9 - UA 0840 SYD to LAX - Not upgradable fare, traveling with companion
    Feb 13 - UA 0942 LAX to ORD - NC cleared 72 hour window
    Feb 15 - UA 3499 ORD to LGA - NC did not clear (United Express flight so not many seats available)
    Feb 16 - UA 0887 LGA to ORD - NC cleared 72 hour window
    Feb 24 - UA 0839 ORD to LAX - NC cleared at booking
    Feb 27 - UA 0729 LAX to SFO - NC cleared 24 hours after booking
    Feb 27 - UA 0818 SFO to ORD - NC cleared 24 hours after booking
    May 5 - UA 0940 ORD to FRA - Waiting for upgrade availability as fare needs to be upgraded
    May 16 - UA 0949 LHR to ORD - NC cleared at booking

AZjohn likes this.