GPU

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GreenCal, Aug 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. GreenCal

GreenCal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can we use GPU in Award ticket ?

How many GPU and RPU issued to 1K ?

Thanks,

2. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe only if you are global services

meFIRST likes this.
  3. GreenCal

GreenCal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks,
    Wish we know what is Qualification for Global Services

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reach 100,000 miles and get 6 GPU

5. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    120 segments too. :)

sfo1 likes this.
  6. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    It's a discretionary invite only program. Criteria is not published

IDGflygirl likes this.
  7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :oops: Oh, yes forgot, never even got close with segments so did not even think about it when I answered, mine all with miles

8. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    120 segments too. :)

9. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    andrewCLE is correct.

But just to try to be more informative, there are several ways to get GS status but none are likely to happen unless they relate to your job in some way (there is also a lot of speculation about GS, so I've tried to differentiate between confirmed information and what has been reported but is not confirmed):
    1. By far the most common is to spend quite a bit of money on UA tickets. The exact number is undisclosed, reportedly may vary by home airport, and almost certainly varies by year. It is pretty clear that only UA spend counts, not ATI partners or other partners, though this is unconfirmed. There are reports that only full-fare tickets count in the calculation but also reports that other tickets count. There is speculation that there may also be some amount of weighting where $$s on full-fare tickets count more but other $$s count to some extent. There are also reports that this formula may have changed post-merger or may change year-on-year.
    2. It has been reported that pre-paying $50k into the Pass Plus program (essentially pre-paying for discounted full-fare travel) has yielded GS status in the past. This is not a stated benefit of the program, might be an untrue report, and might have changed/could change in the future.
    3. There are numerous reports, probably essentially confirmed at this point, that those who control the travel of a large number of premium travelers--such as the corporate contract decision-makers for certain very large companies--are given GS as an incentive to choose UA as a preferred carrier.
    4. Certain promotions have given GS to an extremely limited number of people in the past (probably on the order of ten or twenty in total, though the exact numbers aren't public for all promotions). These have included a contest associated with the Star MegaDo and participation in UA-sponsored research efforts. There is no guarantee that such promotions will exist in the future.
    5. There have been some reports that C-level executives of certain very, very large companies may be given GS status as a courtesy.
    6. Due to million miler status grants, marrying or being the partner of a GS who has achieved Million Miler status will yield GS status. As always, marrying well is the quickest path to riches. ;)

snod08, 8MiHi, meFIRST and 1 other person like this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    On 1, contract fares apparently do apply, and UA metal flights only count per my source.
    My source says that #6 is true and said source's new spouse is quite happy about that.

8MiHi and rggale like this.
  11. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    I can add "some color" to this.
    With the exception of those people identified (influencers and c level execs), GS is very much a revenue based invitation. While the trip point is not published, fills often throw out guesses as to what it may be.

Flying full fare or even flex fare tickets by design, increases revenue and naturally choosing this tickets will drive you up the spend charts quicker.

There are other factors which are taken into account which United doesn't disclose so it is not exclusively based on revenue.

Mm spouse/companion match is based on the mm Mark hit as to what level is achieved.

1mm is gold for life for the member and his/her spouse. I believe 4mm his GS for life

You are correct though that a person's spouse or companion will be matched to the members actual status for life....if a, member is, GS then the spouse, will be gs. If the member doesn't requalify and is,1k the following year, so too is the spouse.

I guess the mystique surrounding GS qualification will always, remain, even moreso now, that dollar spend is, being factored into the equation on the mp program.

I sense the number will never be published, but I do know that with significant spend, a lot of BIS miles and strong loyalty to ua, the chances of being invited are pretty good. Again it is discretionary do even if qualification criteria were to change, we'd never know

8MiHi likes this.
  12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that's how I did it last year. I eventually got there on PQMs too, but I hit 120 segments first.