GPU SUCCESSES & FAILURES: 2015 EDITION

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Flyer1976, Jan 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to start the 2015 thread.

1/1/15 ATL-SFO-PVG
    GPU applied three days prior to departure and cleared immediately. Then VDB resulted in alternate routing. :D

2. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    1/1/15 SFO-LAX-HNL-GUM; 1/3/15 GUM-ICN
    GPU applied in early December to this inexpensive through fare. All segments had available R inventory and cleared immediately.
    My originally-booked LAX-HNL flight was cancelled early on the day of flight, but due to light New Year loads I was re-accommodated in First on a flight leaving 45 minutes later and still connecting with the GUM flight. Had no problem getting my desired right-side window seat for a great flyover of many of the CA Channel Islands. The substitution did result in UA offering me 15K miles or a $300 e-cert (I took the miles). On the delayed HNL-GUM flight the "bring your own device" in-flight entertainment system malfunctioned (I wasn't using it) and the crew requested that United offer compensation to each passenger. For me and perhaps everyone, this compensation offer was for only 2.5K miles or $50 (I took the e-cert).

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Itinerary:

JFK - SFO - HKG

GPU applied on May 1. Upgrade to BF for JFK-SFO p.s. cleared on May 27. Upgrade to BF for SFO-HKG just cleared today, exactly 10 days to departure.

chitownflyer likes this.
  4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR-HKG-SIN, applied GPU that cleared instantly at purchase last month for travel next month.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All six applied and cleared at bookings 100%

6. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cleared SFO-HKG and HKG-SFO on a V-fare.

Both cleared about 2-3 weeks prior to departure.

snod08 likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Failure to clear a GPU on June 27, which was the return portion of my round trip to HKG above that cleared U/Gs on all outbound segments. In sum:
    • JFK-SFO-HKG - 1 GPU, all segments cleared.
    • HKG-SFO-JFK - 1 GPU, no segment cleared, including my very last p.s. flight :(
    Uncleared GPU redeposited.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Complex itinerary coming up at end of August to early September that will include a couple of UA flights and then a whole bunch of *A flights.

LGA-ORD-BRU: UA
    then
    BRU - MXP - BRU: LH
    then
    BRU - FIH: SN
    finally
    FIH - JNB - JFK: SA

All tickets are on "016" stock to ensure that I will get PQDs and PQMs for all segments, and for the first time, this is a case where I will get more RDMs (~10K more) based on revenue than on distance traveled.

Getting back to GPU successes or failures, the itinerary includes only a couple of segments on UA that qualify for GPU, and the only GPUable fare available for ORD-BRU was "U". As a result, and because of "compatibility" with the rest of the itinerary, the agent said I had to fly in full fare economy (full Y), which qualifies for instant upgrade, for LGA-ORD.

As of today, U/Gs for both segments on UA have cleared. I did the booking on July 18 and
    • on July 24, the LGA-ORD segment in full Y cleared; not instantaneous but not bad; and
    • on August 1, the ORD-BRU segment, which I really wanted, cleared.
    The GPU has cleared fully nearly a month before departure.:)

chitownflyer, Flyer1976 and 8MiHi like this.
  9. rblass

rblass Silver Member

Status Points:
    GPU cleared within two days of request for TLV to EWR for 9/17/15 flight on 8/16/15 through the Tel Aviv office. My experience has shown that the TLV office works fast and usually gets the job done. I am a 1K and MM.

Did anyone notice the outrageous increase in business class fares recently? They are quoting $5800 for flights. Because of AA/US Air cancellation?