Gov't ID and hotels

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by thegrailer, Feb 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I am the Diamond/Plt/Concierge level guest and my colleagues are gov't with ID, can we get a gov't rate while having the Diamond benefits?

Let's assume we are sharing a room or that I am checking my colleague in for my elite benefits

Cheers -

2. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    it depends. some gov rate is very deeply discounted to normal, and therefore no qualifying for points or benefits. other places the rate is close to the standard rates, and can be a qualifying rate for everything. same goes with some corp rates. just my experience, but i no longer have a gov id, so doesn't really impact me.

3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    AAA rate is ~$130. Gov't rate is ~$100. Is there a way to tell if the gov't rate is a qualifying rate? [or for $30 maybe I should just bite the bullet]

The rate T&C
    • Offer is only valid at XXXXXXXXXX
    • Proof of government identification must be shown at check in.
    • Guests may stay up to 7 nights at offered rates. Additional nights may be purchased at other available rates.
    • Offer is valid for Thursday through Sunday arrivals in Hotels. Resorts do not have an arrival day restriction.
    • Offer includes room, daily full breakfast for two either in-room or at the hotels restaurant, daily local newspaper room delivery and 4 PM late checkout.
    • Late checkout is subject to availability.
    • A stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights paying a qualifying rate that are spent in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-in or check-outs that occur.
    • Basic room rates do not include additional per room per night charges that may be imposed or state/local taxes.
    • Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability. A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates and additional restrictions and blackout dates may apply.
    • Offer not applicable to groups or with other special offers.
    • Not responsible for typographical errors or omissions.

4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The room will probably have to be booked in the name of the govt employee in case they ask for ID. If its in their name, it'll be their status that determines room upgrades, not yours. The same would be true if it was your spouse who booked a room that you were also staying in. Points and stay credits should accumulate for the govt employee booking the room unless otherwise stated in the terms of the rate.

Jimgotkp and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    autolycus, is correct but it doesn't hurt to show your Diamond/Plat/Gold card and ask politely if they are willing to honor the benefits. It will probably depend on the FD agent or manager.

6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are ways around some of the things you've stated [e.g., my "spouse" is the second person on my reservation and thus gets my benefits when checking in for "our" reservation] - I was wondering if the same applied for gov't rates. But at this point, until I can figure out how to work this, I think I am going to pass on the gov't rates -

Cheers -

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that the rules regarding government rates can be different for different hotel chains.

autolycus and rwoman like this.
  8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    A very good point. One obvious example is that some only allow the govt rate for work-related travel while others are ok with using it for leisure as well.

9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should be aware that some place are more strict than other when using the Government rate. In some location you must pay with a Government credit card. Especially in places you get the local taxes waved there is awareness to who can and who cannot use those rates.

10. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the record, the default rule for Starwood properties is that gov't employees may book the gov't rate for personal travel, although individual hotels may be more restrictive if they specify "official travel only" (or words to that effect) in the room/rate description.

autolycus likes this.
  11. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    What you should do is book the room at whatever rate that you can get, then give them your hotel number (Hilton/Marriot whatever). At a minimum, this will flag you as a regular when you check in and you'll get some points

Same applies when you fly ....

Once upon a time, the govt. wouldn't let you keep points from flying / hotels, but that was a long time ago and far far away.

I've been upgraded at the chain I use at deep discount rates, albeit no longer govt. ones.

Note also that sometimes you can beat the govt. rate, because those are set by what community you are going to, not where you are staying.

DTWBOB

12. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never seen gov't rates excluded from earning points in the T&Cs of loyalty programs for any of the major chains (Priority Club, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG). If you're worried double-check the T&Cs for the loyalty program, as that is what governs points earning. No impact on elite benefits either, assuming the room is booked by an elite member.

autolycus likes this.
  13. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always received points when I've used the government rate at Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a consultant for the Federal government where they always book my stays unless it is not practical (e.g., last minute thing), and the answer is in two parts: (a) yes, you always get elite benefits (make sure to let your elite status be known and to request the perks at check in...always works), and (b) whether you get points for the stay depends on (i) who does the booking (if you do, chances are you will get the points), (ii) who pays the folio (if the feds do, you get no points at most Hilton family hotels, although I got points once from Embassy Suites), and (iii) if the reservation on a gov't CC. which is charged in the end, you get no point (you might if you request to pay even though booked with gov't CC)

15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott uses the same default rule.

16. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    That (paying with a Government Travel Credit Card means no points) is NOT true for Marriott or Starwood chains. The reason is that the traveler is responsible to pay the GTCC bill, and is reimbursed for the hotel cost when (s)he submits the travel voucher.

The general rule in those two chains (in my experience) is that if the bill is paid directly ("direct billing") by the government or the company (or an airline, in case of irregular ops), you will not earn points, but if you pay and get reimbursed afterward, you do. So, if you pay using an IMPAC card, or any card where the Government is billed directly, you may not get the points, but that can vary by property and how the payment is recorded.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  17. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    While there are some gov't-rate specific parts of this question, there's also the "two people, one of whom may not be in the room" part.

To get the Diamond (etc.) benefits, you likely need the Diamond guest's name (yours) as the main one on the reservation. I would try to make sure that your ID-wielding-colleague's name is ALSO on the reservation. Hilton lets you add a second name in a dedicated field. Most chains provide a free-form comment section. My own experience is that when a second guest's name is in one of those fields, he'll have no trouble checking in. You may not even need to show up.

This advice differs from what some have said in this thread re: make sure the room is in the name of the ID-wielder. I think the hotel is more likely to honor a gov't (or AAA or AARP) rate when the ID-wielder is a secondary guest than to honor Diamond perks when the Diamond guest is the secondary guest. Many hotels prepare for Diamond guests' arrival in advance, putting welcome amenities in rooms, making up breakfast chits, etc. If the Diamond guest is a secondary guest, the reservation may not get properly flagged for advance treatment. The only way they know the second guest is a Diamond Guest (tm) is when you show up and pull out your card. Whereas the government rate will not come as a surprise and will not cause extra work for the check-in agent. They may not even ask to see the ID. Even if they ask, so long as someone has the ID, they'll leave the reservation as it is. It's the easy thing to do. Dealing with a surprise Diamond guest is less easy.

Counsellor likes this.