Government Shutdown and Global Entry Interviews

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Art234, Oct 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just checked the web site, and logged in to see my appointment-it's still listed for next Monday.
    Has anyone heard one way or the other if the GE/PRE interviews are continuing as scheduled? Logic would hold that they are since they are fee based and not funded by tax money, and since Border and Customs is still open, but since when did logic apply to the federal government?

If anyone goes this week or hears different please advise.

Thanks.

SC Flier and uggboy like this.
  2. vtbill94

vtbill94 Member

Status Points:
    My appointment is today. I've called the local number at BWI but no one is answering. And the message does not refer to anything regarding the shutdown. I can let you know this afternoon. But given that it's a 45 minute drive to the airport, each way, it would be nice to find out in advance.

uggboy likes this.
  3. vtbill94

vtbill94 Member

Status Points:
    I reached an immigration duty officer and he confirmed that they are still doing Global Entry interviews. Looks like it's still on.

SC Flier, skyvan, icurhere2 and 2 others like this.
  4. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks very much. Good to know it won't be delayed due to a do-nothing congress. Good luck!

uggboy likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an appointment Saturday, at MIA and have been trying to call to confirm. All I get is a recording saying "All circuits are busy. Please try your call again later."

6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just spoke with someone at MIA Global Entry...interviews are going as scheduled.

7. TXHeritagetraveler

TXHeritagetraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    My interview at AUS went as scheduled on Oct 1st the first day of the shutdown. The offices were largely devoid of staff but the uniformed CBP agents conducting the interviews were present.

8. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We just did our interviews at MWE (shorter lead time than ORD by over a month) on Friday 4 October. When I called in advance they said business as usual. (Hint: instead of the phone/extension they give you on your interview confirmation, see if you can hit a general number in the office since the GE agent may be busy with another interview when you call.) Thinking about it, CBP are sworn, gun-toting federal officers, so it makes sense they would not be furloughed even if their current assignment is just ho-hum GE interviews. Our guy looked like he would rather be out chasing bad guys than messing with a fingerprint scanner and computer.

9. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had my Interview last Wed. and was approved on Thurs. Can't beat that.