Government examining airline ticket distribution

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by garyst16, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    DALLAS (AP) - The U.S. government is investigating whether companies that distribute airline flight and fare information are stifling competition and violating federal antitrust laws.
    The Justice Department confirmed the investigation Friday after several airlines and two leading ticket information-distribution companies said they received letters from antitrust officials.
    This is the latest twist in an escalating fight between airlines and so-called global distribution systems over how air travel is sold, especially to lucrative corporate accounts. Many consumers buy tickets online directly from the airlines, but corporations often use travel agencies that get information about flights and fares from the three big distribution companies.

http://money.msn.com/shopping-deals/news.aspx?feed=AP&date=20110520&id=13659624

OceanCruiser7 likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my civilian job I know the corporate travel office my company seems to be a total rip off. Fortunately, with the job I have, I do not have to use corporate travel very often!

3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, with Carlson-Wagonlit (SATO), I often get better results by using some of the on-line search engines (Orbitz, etc.) to find the flight I want, then print it off and take it to the agency (must do so for business travel -- can't book your own on-line even though it's usually cheaper to do it that way). The problem is that even with the paper in front of them they frequently claim they can't find the flight on their system.

I used to think it might just be that the flight had been bought out in that class between the time I printed it off and the time C-W looked for it, but after coming back to the office and finding the same flight still available, I knew it was something else.

Personally, I think they tend to block the less expensive fares, maybe so they can increase commissions?

rwoman likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    From most of my military related travels (1-2 times per year) as a reservist I do not have many nice thoughts about C-W. They paid about $2000 for the same K fare I could have paid $1300 for on dl.com or $1500 for a short intra-Europe flight I could have done for less than $300.