Gotta love schedule changes

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Jan 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bought two deep-discount economy tix from AUS-CDG. Original itinerary was AUS-ORD, ORD-CDG, with about 3 hours layover in ORD (early March, when ice is still possible). AA Schedule Change notification gives us about an hour to make the same connection to our ORD-CDG leg.

The only earlier AUS-ORD nonstop is very early, with a 5-ish hour layover. Bleh. Also no "A" space, so our SWU's wouldn't necessarily clear at booking.

A quick call to the EXP desk got us AUS-DFW-ORD, leaving at a reasonable time from AUS and getting in with about 2.5 hours to spare in ORD. Much more reasonable, and A space open the whole way. So we've added a connection (500 mile minimum + an extra segment towards qualification) but preserved the better layover time.

Gotta love schedule changes - they allow you to do things you couldn't otherwise do.

2. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a question, just got Gold status and I had a 3 hours plane delayed at DFW and a possible missing my connection in ORD, the agent tried to put me on the next available time in ORD which is 2 hours after I arrived in ORD, I know this may sound like I am milking the system, but could I have asked for an upgrade on the later flight or just take the economy seat they offered?

zpaul likes this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Irregular operations aren't typically a reason for an upgrade, but it certainly never hurts to ask ("Wow, that's inconvenient, but I appreciate your help. There's no room up front, is there, since I'm leaving so much later?" The real problem is that unless they CONFIRM you on the flight, there's no way to get it - and typically IRROPS rebookings aren't confirmed - you're simply flying standby.

zpaul likes this.