Got robbed in Holiday Inn Harare, by IHG employees

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by airhead, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. airhead

airhead Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,
    I got robbed in Holiday Inn Harare. I got all my money stolen from my room (when I checked in there wasn't a safe deposit box and until they brought me one, all my money were gone). There was no CCTV on the floor and the printout from the lock showed only IHG staff coming in and out of my room (for the weekend total of 7 people).
    I was a platinum member last year and I couldn't keep it for a couple of nights, so I'm gold this year.

I wanted to know if anyone else experienced such "joy"? :)
    I put in a claim with the hotel and with Priority club, but they said in short "Sorry, but we cannot help. We hope you continue using our services"

NYCUA1K, jetsetboy, CescoAiel and 3 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you file a police report?

(and welcome to MilePoint... and sorry that it's under these circumstances)

CescoAiel likes this.
  3. airhead

airhead Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the welcome :)
    I filed a report, but my hopes are not high :)
    Actually this happened a few weeks ago, but I received IHG/Priority club's answers a couple of days back so that's why I decided to ask here

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    (Only upon reading this thread again did I read it properly... Harare, not O'Hare. Not sure what's wrong with my eyes/brain today :eek:)

Anyway, I fortunately have not been in that situation, and quite frankly I doubt that there is much that IHG/PC would do for you. It could happen anywhere, O'Hare or Harare, so I would never recommend leaving money in the room unless it's in a properly secured safe (something that can't be easily carried out of the room). My main concern is usually equipment such as my DSLR or my laptop since money/passport/credit cards can be fairly easily carried in a small bag (uh, fanny pack?).

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear this. I never had an issue like this.
    Was there police involvement?

6. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always lock away valuables, or keep them on me if not possible. The (company) laptop is encrypted and tethered with a Kensington lock (if they still steal it, at least it is insured!), and I certainly NEVER leave my passport behind...

But any hotel will have signs or in-room paperwork stating the policy, which always boils down to "we're not responsible for any valuables in your room, even when they're in the in-room safe"!...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I keep everything deep inside my bags so they have to really dig for it. Good way to know the second I walk in to a room if it has been messed with. Also try @ihgcare on Twitter. I've had decent success with them recently helping me out with some issues with stays.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Harare and in fact all of Zimbabwe is not safe at all either inside a hotel or anywhere else in terms of being robbed

Flyer1976, MX, skyvan and 1 other person like this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...and just now I think of a bunch of Zimbabwean currency jokes

10. I hear there are millions of them to each NA joke:p

viguera and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this was in another country I would suggest filing an insurance claim against the hotels liability policy. Don't know if they have such insurance in that country.
    Even when companies post "we aren't responsible..." Signs or policy they are still responsible in most countries for security or damages.

12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry. Hopefully this helps the community to remember not to leave valuables in the open and if they are not secure in your room, you are better off keeping them on yourself while waiting for the safe or taking it down to the front desk where they can place valuables in their safe box.

LETTERBOY and NYCUA1K like this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bummer:( .
    Seven hotel staff entering your room during a weekend seems like a lot, but it seems to me that the number of suspects is very small, since no one else other than you and these 7 hotel staff entered the room. One of the 7 hotel staff must be the culprit. The reason they know that these 7 people entered the room is that the info is encoded electronically on the magnetic strip of a cardkey, Sophisticated keycards can even identify by name which hotel staff entered a room and when. So, just round up these 7 suspects, interrogate them with a lie detector, and see who is lying![/quote][/quote]

14. IHGCare

IHGCare Silver Member

Status Points:

Dear airhead,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Sincerely,

Karen G.
    Case Manager
    IHGCare

15. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    certainly one of the weakest IHG hotels in the world, not many other options in Harare