Got my Tumi Voyageur bag from Bloomingdales - Thank to Lucky (OneMileAtATime)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by JohnDeere19, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice bag....

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I missed it! They were sold out when I tried to order. Congrats on a great buy!

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anyone is interested in Tumi, subscribe to their newsletter/email svc. Several times in the last year I was able to get anywhere from 30-60% off their products. Seems like it happens quite a bit too, and they dont just clear out the cheap/ugly :) stuff. www.tumi.com

5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    you calling my bag cheap/ugly :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm personally a much bigger fan of Briggs & Riley luggage since I need the lifetime guarantee since I've seen far too many bags from other "lesser" brands fall apart with little use. I'm also too used to the flat internal compartment which is very convenient for packing.

However, if Tumi is what you want, Costco seems to regularly carry the Tumi T-Tech 20" International Carry On bag for $170 which probably retails for close to $300 and as far as I can tell, there are plenty of them. Not as big of a discount but still a decent quality bag at a fair price.

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    no disrespect was intend as the result of this posting.....theres a lot of nice stuff that i have found in their sales promos!!!! :)
    n

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There used to be a lifetime warranty for Tumi products, but that has unfortunately disappeared. Based on some reports I'm reading now, Tumi appears to be cheapening their brand by outsourcing manufacturing to China and eliminating the lifetime warranty. This will make them a ton of money in the short term with people buying discounted Tumi products while expecting them to be of equal quality to older lines, but I think it's a poor move that will ultimately cheapen the brand to the point that they'll just be another bag manufacturer.

Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere next time!

jbcarioca and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  10. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an ACE protecA (link here) for about 5 years now. The specific model I have is discontinued. Ms.DLroads has a different carry on of theirs for about 6.5 years now. We feel like we've 'robbed' them because the bags are SOOOOOOOOOO good. I bought mine in a membership sales discount and it was about 140 dollars (instead of about $250 at the time... given better yen/dollar rate).

It also looks impressive, but does not look like a brand (which is a thing I really like about a bag, I hate feeling like a commercial to some company when I'm on the roads...). I personally checked the bag some times when I had liquids, and traveled with it on more than 150 flights (doing the math of 30 flights a year I took it).
    I just realized few days ago they have lifetime service on the bag. So, I am planning now (using ms. dlroads next trip as a 'bag reposition' opprotunity) to send the bag for little renovations (wheels check, recoloring corners, etc.) and at the same time get another one just a spare, though it would be a real INTL carry on size this time (mine is a carry on, but just slightly larger than the intl standard.)
    PLITE or PLITE-L models are the ones in mind (mainly), but in Japan they have few more models- and also can do some customize orders (i.e. some additional colors, slight mods, etc.). My goal is their 1.9 KG carry on bag.

11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed...I don't feel that Tumi is too crazy with their logo/name/branding. Nothing like something like this:
    [​IMG]

12. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    louis vuitton stopped being well brand about 30 years ago.

In other words... you'll need to pay me to use this one... ;)

13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've started using rimowa more and more. afteer being exposed to it on travel to europe, its becoming my favorite brand. i really like the polycarbonate roller carryon....

14. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was actually going to look for a rimowa bag while in Germany next month, but couldn't pass up this great deal.

15. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their price range seems to be abit above what I usually spend on a bag, but what do you think of their quality? my main concern is that I did not see any real 'light' wait bags from them (salsa air is 5.3 lbs. Did you use any of them?)
    The titanium bag is well organized inside, but seems to be in the high three digit range (low four, even).

One good thing about buying it in EU, though, is tax refund. Can reach up to 19.6% if one plays their cards well...

16. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was interested in there design and seemingly indestructible build so light wasn't even on my radar.

jbcarioca and DLroads like this.
  17. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take your take on the weight and price/return ratio once you further check in

18. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my Tumi Voyageur bag earlier today too. I think I might take it on my business trip to Europe next week instead of my usual bag and give it a good workout!

jbcarioca, DLroads and JohnDeere19 like this.
  19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I bought one of these, too. In general I've become less and less a fan of Tumi, and don't feel it's worth anywhere close to stated retail price of $495. But $150 all-in shipped I figured i couldn't go wrong on this one. Honestly, I've basically happy with this as a $150 bag but I don't think I'd want to have spent more than that on it.

20. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got a trip to Europe in 2 weeks and plan on doing the same!

My thoughts exactly. It still appears to be a high quality bag and worth more than $150, imo, but definitely not $495!

I got liked by co-founder gleff :eek: !!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to be a Tumi fan, but every single one (I had about six of them) failed. When I sent them off for their lifetime warranty .I was told every time that the model was discontinued, they could not repair it, so I could have 50% off on a new similar bag. I declined.

Since then I have had a good many other bags, usually lighter and always more durable. I am very fond of a Rimowa bag I was given by LH and I have been happy with the older Victorinox. The latter seem to be imitating Tumi in that the newer bags are now falling apart.

My spouse and I areon long trips together ten times per year or so. We always have all the bags empty leaving home and stuffed for the return. It is quite rare when any of our bags weigh less than 30kg, even the carryons usually weigh at 27-238kg. Thus we are very hard on bags. The only one that has lasted longer than three years of such abuse is the Rimowa, and it shows no signs of damage. Most recently it carried a set of tools that caused it to weigh exactly my 32kg allowance. Would I pay $450 or more for it? No, I would not pay any such price for any luggage. Still, it is the best I have personally owned.

travlr and JohnDeere19 like this.
  22. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised at that about the lifetime warranty and that just seems like horrible customer service. I was under the impression that if the model was discontinued, they'd offer a newer similar model as a replacement. What good is a lifetime warranty if they just retire models every 5 years...that's insane.

Sounds like Rimowa is the way to go for the true road warrior.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Precisely. I find that the deepest promotion items of ¨quality¨luggage at eBags or Macys are the best value for me. That said, the one Romowa bag that LH gave me just keeps going, so I may reconsider soon. In the meantime I just bought a 25 inch TravelPro for $116 on an eBags promotion. My cheked bags Never, Never, ever last longer than three years. My apptern of abuse for those bags has proven too much for Tumi, Hartmann, Briggs & Riley and on and on. Thus I now jsut go for the cheapest thing taht seems likely to last a few dozen trips.

jmrich1432, gleff and JohnDeere19 like this.
  24. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had excellent repair history with B&R on their warranties when I've worn out one of their bags. Is that not your experience?

25. samjones

samjones Active Member

Status Points:
    Tumi Voyageur is one of the best products from the house of Tumi Luggage. I own a Super Leger international carry on bought at the Bergman Luggage online store. I love the great exteriors and in-line wheels!