Got my first upgrade to F on a CR7!!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DesertRose, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm excited! Who would have ever thought I would be excited to be on a regional jet?

I just have one question: It's IAH-ORD, a 2 hour 40 minute flight (lands at 6:30 pm), and the First Class Meal is listed as "Refreshments - Complimentary". Does this mean the same "Drinks, nuts, cookie" that it means on a mainline flight?

gomike, santafefran and savydog like this.
  2. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will leave for others to discuss the meal question, I feel some sort of celebration is in order though :)

Cheers

champagne.jpg

3. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, it may just be cold nuts. :D But the nuts also seemed to be larger and of better quality.

Eagle also offers margaritas but it was way too sweet for my taste.

savydog and DesertRose like this.
  4. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    So what's the consensus these days. Larger cold nuts, or smaller warm nuts?:D

savydog likes this.
  5. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like my nuts warm and plentiful.

savydog likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm a fan of the Hawaiian variety.

kw335, savydog and neuatomic like this.
  7. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Congrats!

savydog likes this.
  8. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely request the cheese plate. Don't be surprised if they claim there is no cheese plate: many FA's haven't been fully trained on the new CR7 F. In those circumstances, I've found it quite useful to continually and stridently demand a cheese plate loudly and repeatedly. This usually results in all kinds of fun! Or at least a bag of sh---y nuts. Do be sure to try repeatedly to open the overhead bin on the 'A' side of the plane. Keep trying!!! There's a latch there somewhere!! And when disembarking, please stand right in the middle of the jet bridge while waiting for your gate-checked bags. The folks behind you won't mind a bit! Enjoy!!!

Edit: acid comments aside, I do enjoy F in the CR7. When compared to Y in the CR7

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin and savydog like this.
  9. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hard to crack?

savydog likes this.
  10. giggy
    Original Member

giggy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would definately bring something with you. tex food is better than ord

11. planecrashlaw
    Original Member

planecrashlaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the 6:50 PM IAH-ORD on Monday in F. No nuts pre-dinner. Kind of weird theme on 1 tray; green/black olives w/feta in a ramekin, the mainline pita chips/hummus, cold chicken squares in a slightly Indian greenish sauce, a ramekin of cous cous (the poor FA pronounced it "cuss cuss") and caramel cheese cake.

Food was OK. Service was very good, better than most of my J ORD-LHR. Seat was, as others have said, better than the F 737-800. All in all not a bad use of 2 stickers given the alternatives.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually it's more the unique flavor.

neuatomic likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did ORD-CLE and back in F on Eagle this week. Short flight so no meal, but the pre-departure beverage was served each time and the FAs was amazingly engaging and friendly. Offer of snack mix or Biscoff cookies, which was new for me. I did ORD-ATL in F on Eagle in Jan and it was the same. Service is quite the step up. Sadly my FA on CLE-ORD today mentioned to me she was moving to DL since AA won't be hiring anytime soon and she doesn't want to fly domestic routes for the next 20 years.

14. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    A FA told me they call them "salt and sugar" flights.

DesertRose likes this.
  15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I find the Hawaiian version way too sweet. But then, I'd prefer the nuts to be unsalted and dry-roasted (I know I'm in the minority on that).

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Coconut is one of my top 5 flavors, so the more the better in my book. Taking the ORD-HNL flight in 3 weeks, booked it 9 months ago so hoping the upgrade is in the bag. Bring me those Hawaiian nuts! :D

17. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had the nuts, pre-dep drinks and a couple of decent salads (pastrami(!) salad outbound, cold beef inbound), on the ORD-ABQ-ORD round-trip recently. And both flights both FA's were in good moods and cracking wise. Pretty pleasant altogether I must say, and I really enjoy the lone A seat with window and aisle advantages. Now if I could just stop braining myself on the lav door getting in and out, it would be perfect. Quite a long trek to get back there, too, amongst the common-folk and all...

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hawaiian version has chunks of sweetened dried pineapple as well as coconut flakes. That makes it super sweet. Plus, some of the nuts are candied. Really, it's more of a dessert than an appetizer.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well I've eaten it quite a few times, so I knew what the contents were. I'll still take it any day over the normal salty mix.

20. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my view, the standard one would be much better unsalted and dry-roasted. Then you can taste the nuts, not the salt and oil.

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    While we can't agree about you maligning my beloved Hawaiian mix ;) , this I can get on board with! I usually take the ramekin but it's way too salty for my taste. I never finish it.

anabolism likes this.
  22. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I apologize if I came across as argumentative (I can think of few things more pointless than arguing about food preferences). Since you explained that you are very fond the coconut in them, I was explaining what I found too sweet in them.

23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you like the King's Hawaiian rolls as well?

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Argumentative wasn't what I felt at all, no worries!

Indeed I am. My mother used to serve them when I was a kid all the time though, so it's nostalgia.

25. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had 3 flights in various directions on the ORD-IAH route in F now, and all three were different. One was a lunch flight (choice of green salad with whole chicken breast on top or corned beef sandwich with potato salad), and two were 'refreshment' flights. One of the refreshment flights was unheated nuts and drinks, and one was snack mix packet and drinks. I wonder if they are trying to hone in on what the new catering standards will be.

In any case, the snack mix was a disappointment. It's not that the quality of the snack is so much worse than a bowl of nuts, rather it's having a foil package of crap thrown at you that irks me. It always makes me think, "They used to serve snacks like this in coach."

I did upgrade my husband using stickers, but that was more because we had a long travel day including a TATL and wanted the nicer seats. I probably wouldn't do it on a refreshment flight if that was the only flight of the day, especially if exit row or bulkhead seats were available. Upgrading with stickers on a lunch or dinner flight would depend on how convenient/inconvenient it would be to eat before or after the flight.