Got bumped from Avianca/Taca flight without even flying

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | South America' started by cuauroao, Apr 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cuauroao

cuauroao Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all

I booked a return flight in F using the current LM promo, IAD-DOH via FRA using United and LH metal (on my way from the FTU) on Apr 28th.

I checked the reservation, I even changed my seats!

Yesterday TACA called me and sent me a new itinerary with same route... On Apr 29th. One day later! They said is a problem with the spaces and they cannot pay for the extra night or meals in Washington. That is without even consider extra working day. LM rep tried other routes and offered me Y!

Is that normal? I'm pissed but its United's fault? LM fault? Or not?

What to do?

2. epiding

epiding Silver Member

Status Points:
    What was the reason? You had a confirmed ticket that was fully ticketed right? Or was it in the process of ticketing?

Or that must have been some other reason like a schedule change?

3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can sing praises about Taca (Now Avianca - the merger is completed) out of one side of my mouth while cursing them out the other side.

They recently caused me to miss my connection in BOG. Their solution for me was similar to your experience. Put me on a flight the next day. Who would pay for my meals and hotel? Me. Instead, I got online and used MileagePlus miles to book a flight out the same day, then wrote to Avianca/Taca to ask for a refund.

After requesting a refund, I was promised a decision within 5 to 7 business days. That was 4 weekas ago. I just got the decision today, and it was "no." They said that I could have a 2000 LM credit or $100 voucher. They also said that my unused ticket is good for one year. I'm not clear yet on whether the entire route can be re-used for one year, or just the missed connection. If the latter, it's useless, as I no longer travel to BOG.

Coincidentally, I flew Avianca to and from BOG (for what I planned to be the last time) this weekend, returning today. This was on planes still painted in the Taca livery, but operating as Avianca. With much Taca experience under my belt, and traveling in Clase Negocios today as is my usual preference, I can personally attest to the fact that the food has been significantly downgraded. Friday and again today, I found the Clase Negocios meals to be a major disappointment. I never flew on Avianca prior to the merger, so I can't say if theirs was this dismal, but Taca always served up some great food up front. It's now along the lines of a domestic U.S. carrier. In other words, "blah."

I have too many Lifemiles to quit flying Avianca, but I now prefer Copa hands down. They both stink when things go wrong, but at least Copa is still serving really appetizing food. It's sad to me, as Taca always had a slight edge in this department.

Full disclosure: As written here previously, problems at Copa that were escalated to Pedro Heilbron, Copa CEO, were satisfactorily resolved. Problems not escalated to Pedro Heilbron have never - not once - even received the courtesy of a reply. I didn't like Avianca's answer, and it was very late, but at least they did answer without pushing me to write to the CEO.

adrianors likes this.
  4. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate TACA, had the same problem, had to stay two extra nights at LAX because of them, was flying to POA and they had no flights after that. They didn't cancel my flight, just didn't board everyone with the ridiculous excuse of "overweight", they didn't board more than 10 people.. Overbooking? I'll never know..They paid for meal, hotel, offered me an upgrade (which never happened and I had to fight in the terminal until my last connection to get) and they also gave me 400 bucks in credit (which I never used since TACA don't fly from CLT and I also cannot transfer to anyone or book things online, need to use the voucher at the airport!) Like a friend of mine from Mexico likes to say, "TACAbrón".. Never again.. Copa is cheap but they service is awesome.. I just flew business (ejecutiva) with them but I'll try the economy in a couple weeks.

5. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would blame TACA, this smells like their poor service.. As I mentioned before.. They are far from what I would call a good or fair company.. Sorry to hear that you also had this bad experience with them..