Got a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card - Now What (next card?)

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by milesw, Jul 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milesw

milesw Active Member

Status Points:
    Just got a call from Chase and after verifying my identity, I was approved for the CSP card.

Now, I know I need to hit my spend limit in first 3 months for the 40k sign on.

What other benefits does this card have? I can't find a handy page with everything on it.

Is it worth it to book travel/hotels through their service to get the 20% discounts? Or are the rates/costs higher?

Basically, now that I have my first card that is recommended by you guru's I want to make the most of it, so looking for advice!

What do I need to spend a year to make the $95 fee worth it, as well? Trying to figure out this math stuff :)

2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    The benefits I most often utilize with the card are the ones related to earning and spending miles and points. I use the following:
    -Earn 2x points on dining and travel related charges
    -7% bonus annually on all points earned (came last year in Feb)
    -Shop using the Ultimate Rewards portal to earn 3x, 5x, 10x, and sometimes more at many popular online retailers. For example, shop online at Lowes.com right now and earn 10x. Pick it up in the store and now your $500 lawn mower earned you 5,000 points with very little extra effort.
    -Use the points by transferring them 1:1 to an airline or hotel partner. Most of the time Hyatt or United will give you the most value, but there are some other good redemptions in there as well. British Airways for short haul trips that involve an AA hub, Priority Club Point Breaks deals at 5,000 points a pop, etc.

I'm sure I am forgetting some benefits, but those are the ones I use most frequently.

iterfacio12 likes this.
  3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops, I did forget something. Work toward also getting a Chase Freedom and Chase Checking account. Google "Chase Trifecta" to learn more. You will earn UR points very quickly with that trio.

Voodard likes this.