Got a bunch of miles, but no one to travel with :(

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by DAS02135, Dec 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who has tips for vacation traveling alone?

I've got a great stash of points and miles (325,000 UA miles, 160,000 AA miles, and 300,000 HHonors points), but none of my aspirational trips (mainly Singapore) are exciting me at the moment because I'm now single and know I don't have nearly as much fun traveling alone as I do with someone.

Any suggestions on what to do or where to go?

The only solo trip I know I'll enjoy is going around to see some of the waterfalls throughout the US.

joesmoe, catgirl, cennas and 7 others like this.
  2. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I love solo travel! I don't have to worry about anybody but myself and I only have to make myself happy! Love wandering around new cities where I don't speak the language, dining in hole in the wall mom and pop types, and simply doing what I want to do when I want to do it!

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hoard all the points and build up the bank... some people will say it might be a bad idea since you risk devaluation (which is true) but nothing -- NOTHING -- would suck more than you actually wanting to take a trip and then not having the miles to do it.

And all things considered, when you look at the going rates for some of the awards on premium products, your balance is "so so" at best -- hey, if you ever meet that someone and you want to do the RTW thing on F, you're gonna have to bulk up. :)

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with viguera. However, if you're looking for a travel partner than you now know who you can PM ;) Me!! :D

joesmoe, Jubileesmom, catgirl and 4 others like this.
  5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd suggest heading to a DO. Even though it may not be in an aspirational place, you'll leave with having made new friends. :cool:

SC Flier, bk3day, catgirl and 6 others like this.
  6. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on your age and how picky you are, I would recommend staying in a hostel. People staying in hostels are usually very friendly and often organize day trips. You might get friendly with people you meet and continue on to other cities/countries with the same people.

7. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good idea. Just because I have hotel points doesn't mean I have to use them. I did stay in hostels quite a bit when I was in grad school and always ended up tooling about with someone. In particular, it made Dublin a whole lot more fun!

catgirl, misman and miles and smiles like this.
  8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the waterfalls of western NC intrigue you, I've been to dozens of them around here. Would be happy to share some favorites and maybe take a hike with you.
    Personally I travel by myself all the time, though many of my trips are to see friends and family. But even when I visit others on my trips, I like time on my own, too. In a few weeks I will explore the Florida Keys and the Everglades mostly on my own.

9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love to travel on my own. The major benefit is I plan my day and it usually goes according to plan! :)

dhammer53 mentioned attending a Do, and I have to agree that it is a very social environment and those strangers (not to be confused with strange people ;)) already have a common interest. We would love to see you at the Kiva Do and I hear the BRT dhammer53 organizes is a big hit (in fact, it may be the longest running show off-Broadway!:D)

Perhaps one option is to find a travel buddy on Milepoint or FT. It can be a tough thing to do, but you will not find a more likely audience willing to travel!

Finally, I used to have a fairly large bank of points, but of late, I have been giving them away to family, friends and charitable groups for their travel! I realized that if I gave away 100-150K a year, I would easily get that back with my current travel and expense plans.

10. adamlile

adamlile Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Beyond that, the acquisition of the miles and points and seeing your balances grow is sometimes better than actually using them. IMO.

catgirl and miles and smiles like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until that day when BA changes their rewards program and buys BD. Oh wait, that just happened.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you what to travel by yourself or not travel at all? That is the question. Personally, I enjoy traveling alone as I can do what I want, when I want.

HPKris, catgirl, cennas and 2 others like this.
  13. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Traveling alone rules. (just booked a trip to the Dominican Republic myself for Feb). Eat when and where you want. Visit and see things you want to see, when you want to see them. Plus if your travel dates/times are flexible even better (those off peak rates on AA can be nice. Plus when you hear the magic words "this flight is overbooked would anybody be willing to give up their seats for....."it can be a nice bonus, as long as you don't have anybody else to worry about ( I ended up with a couple $300 vouchers this last year for giving up my seats and flew to Denver and Tampa to see a couple concerts for free)

I used to sit at home and just pile up miles and think about where I would like to go if I only had somebody to go with. Then I said "F it" and just started to go to the places I wanted to go. I'm not going to board that "final flight" wishing I had gone here or there and seen this or that. I'm checking things off the "to do" list now.

savingrace, Toula, curtis1120 and 4 others like this.
  14. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been traveling solo for years, just looking at your miles gives me all kinds of ideas! I had a great time a few years back in Australia (Perth and Sydney) and in New Zealand. I did want to drive so I jumped on the magic bus (caters to backpackers) I was their only "flashpacker". They book the hostels (I stayed w/points in hotels) and adventures along the way if you are interested. Everyone was social and it's NZ/AUS great wine, adventures, etc. I planned the month away using BA points and Starwood points and had a great time glacier hiking, helicopter tours, sand boarding, etc.
    Another option I just came around to is cruises to The Baltics, Med (lisbon is a blast, check out We HateTourism tours) and Istanbul. I use points for all but cruises and have met great friends along the way. I try to find last minute deals to avoid or lower single supplement (penalty).
    There are easy solo places and more difficult ones- it just depends on your expectations and what you enjoy doing on holiday. Good luck with your choices, let me know if I can help.

YULtide, Toula, catgirl and 3 others like this.
  15. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Plus if you post where you are going on Milepoint, chances are that you will soon have a local who can give you tips and maybe even show you around a bit. After all, we all live all around the world.

YULtide, ella, catgirl and 2 others like this.
  16. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We sponsor educational summer trips for students, underprivileged minorities and poor whites in the NY/NJ/CT area.

We've traveled to Africa, Asia, Russia, South America and Haiti. We've built houses, drilled wells, met KIVA borrowers, helped others start a business, went on safaris, taught children how to read and provided medical supplies, food, water to others in need.

You should join us as a chaperone in 2013. It will be an experience you will never forget.

When the students see how poor other countries are they have a greater appreciation for the US and their own lives.

savingrace, ducster, Toula and 9 others like this.
  17. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Singapore is actually great for solo travelers! There are tons of activities you can actually enjoy without a traveling companion. Also everyone speaks English there so language will not be a barrier.

Like many others, I actually like traveling solo. I can do what I want, when I want without having to worry about others.

18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's time to have a DO for solo travelers. :p
    We'll meet for five minutes, then everyone will take off on their own. :rolleyes:

19. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you aren't so interested in solo travel, why not consider a tour? I am not a huge fan of tours because I like to have control of my itinerary. However, I have done a couple of tours to Africa which were both awesome. In some places, tours make sense to bring down the price & for safety.

20. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love traveling solo. Have been all over the US, some places in Canada, Europe, and Australia by myself. I find that when I travel alone, I more readily talk to locals which makes the travel experience that much richer. I learn more, I've met wonderful people, and probably learned more about that area's culture than I would have otherwise.

Others have suggested tours. There are always day tours or half-day tours once you reach your destination that your hotel concierge would be happy to set up for you. That gives you the best of both worlds: you can explore on your own, but also have the comfort of a guide and travel companions for a time.

21. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you need to be honest with yourself and truly understand whether you will enjoy a vacation by yourself enough to be worth the cost. For some, the freedom to do whatever you want is well worth it. However, if you don't enjoy meeting strangers or eating by yourself, it can be a long trip... especially international ones.

Your point balance can be wiped out pretty quickly with some first or business class trips with another so you might want to take your future partner into consideration before wiping out your accounts if it's not worth it.

22. brockb

brockb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have someone to travel with, but a lot of the time we don't agree on what to do. I'm very adventurous while my wife is more relax on the beach type of person. So I do the relaxing stuff with her and try to plan adventure trips for myself or with other guy friends.

23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly... if you don't enjoy traveling solo, then it doesn't matter where you go, going at it solo is probably not going to make for an enjoyable trip.

As far as the points/miles go, I think it largely depends how consistently the OP is getting to that level. The balance is nothing to sneeze at, but if it's something that takes 2-3 years to accumulate then it's a whole other story than if it was something acquired on a consistent basis year after year.

300k HHonors points is only 2 nights in a "destination resort" like Bora Bora. And 300K miles is enough to get you there and back in First, but unless your travel patterns have you earning that many miles and points on a consistent basis, you're not going to be taking that trip very often.

Toula, catgirl and miles and smiles like this.
  24. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can relate to OP somewhat. I think part of the fun of accumulating the miles/points is knowing that you can afford to share the 'fruits of your labors' and what better way than with someone you know will appreciate it and whom you'll appreciate spending the miles/points for.

That said, I've done my fair share of solo traveling. Even though I'm often apprehensive about it beforehand, it's often turned out fine if only because if you're motivated and curious enough, then it doesn't matter if you're alone or with someone. For example, I can be a serious explorer and realize not many people might be up for the idea of just walking and walking aimlessly or criss-crossing a new city just to see it from the inside out.

My advice, suck it up, pick a destination and use some of your points/miles for yourself and try to enjoy yourself. You'll have protected yourself somewhat from potential future devaluations and you might find it's not so bothersome once you start doing it. It'll make for interesting conversations later on about what you've managed to accomplish by yourself/see and maybe draw future travel companions. Whatever points/miles you don't use then, you can save for later when you do find someone to lavish your 'riches' on! :)

25. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love to travel alone for the most part. However, resort destinations can be uncomfortable alone, as can certain restaurants. Staying at hostels and guest houses and taking day tours are both also excellent suggestions.