Google Wallet update

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Aug 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    A major redesign to the app now allows you to use any Visa / MC / AMEX and Discover card, and not just the prepaid card option or Citi-based CCs as it did before.

The whole thing has been changed and moved to the cloud as well, so now your information doesn't reside on the device itself. That's a blessing and a curse I suppose, since it raises security concerns but also means that you don't have to freak out when you lose your phone.

Moving everything online also means that you can now remotely disable individual devices, in case you happen to misplace your phone and don't want to risk someone using your wallet.

Of course, people outside of the US are still out of luck. :)

http://googlecommerce.blogspot.com/2012/08/use-any-credit-or-debit-card-with.html

sobore and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does the carrier get involved in Google Wallet? The page seems to imply it's only available on Sprint or Virgin Mobile (owned by Sprint) phones. Then on the list of NFC-enabled devices it shows the AT&T and T-Mobile logos next to the Galaxy Nexus, but the link takes me to the Sprint page.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wish the carriers would focus on doing their primary job right. 3G coverage sticks sucks in large parts of AT&T's Bay Area network.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    More like "AT&T coverage sucks period" :)

And it's not gonna get any better though. They're fully committed to their lte stuff even at the expense of cannibalizing their EDGE network.

Reminds me of one time I made the mistake of relying on Google maps on my at&t iPhone to find a restaurant that I saw right on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Of course I lost signal and couldn't figure out where I was going.

6. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to give it a try on my Nexus 7 - after carrying around NFC enabled Nexus S for 18 month without using that capability once - but I can't at the moment: :mad:

My poor Nexus 7.jpg

7. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh nooooo :(

8. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to non-like this post! Ouch!

legalalien likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's just a flesh wound!

How did you crack the screen? Is that the original Nexus case from the Play store? I am still looking for a good case and currently carry mine around in a bubble envelope. The original Nexus case doesn't seem to meet one important criteria -- built-in stand mode for watching movies.

viguera likes this.
  10. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how it happened, but it was in my shorts' side pocket while I was running some errands. I probably sat on it. Lesson learned.

It is the original case, which I don't really like for the same reason. Thinking of sending it back to Google, but might be more hassle than it's worth. There are some options on eBay that I might just add when I get my device repaired.

Speaking of getting it repaired...none of the third-party places have replacement screens yet, and it took me a few email exchanges with Google and Asus to figure out where to mail it in. Out of warranty repair, of course, but at least my credit card will cover.

One of the few things I do like about Apple is that there would be no question which number to call or where to take an iPad with a cracked screen.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Amazon has a few case options, too. I have seen one in person and it triples the thickness of the device. Not exactly what I had in mind.

12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are ways to side load on VZ.

use the browser on your phone, go to the wallet app page on the browser. You'll click it and be given a choice of what to open it with. Choose the play store app. Then it installs.

Been using wallet on my VZW GNex almost from the beginning. The one thing i do though is keep NFC turned off until i'm almost ready to use it.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In what situations is the use of Google Wallet/NFC more convenient than pulling out a credit card?

adambadam and Tenmoc like this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    running to cvs or the like. i often don't bother taking a wallet everywhere i go.

i always have my phone.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I always have both. I feel naked without either one.

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think (for now) the possibility of skimming from a sales terminal with NFC is significantly less than if you were using your card at the same terminal or worse, handing it over to a cashier.

Granted, that will do nothing if the sales terminal itself is compromised, but just like those old school ATMs I always feel better when my card doesn't leave my hand. Now if the technology ever picks up to the point where I don't worry that my waiter might do some shady business, that'd be a good day too.

HaveMilesWillTravel and Tenmoc like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In my life, I have had two unauthorized charges on my cards that I had to dispute (and have the card closed/replaced).

I have also had two cases where Citi sent me a new card due to an unspecified "merchant breach", which most likely was a hack of one of the major processors based on the timing and the scope of the replacement of cards (millions).

So personally I am not really concerned about using my card directly.

That said, I am interested in exploring the technology, and since I have a couple devices that support it, I'll certainly try it.

18. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many phones/devices come with a try it out credit for wallet on a google prepaid card. Sure no points, but it is a way to try the tech without risk.

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sort of in the same boat though... I *know* people that have had their physical cards misused, but other than the Citi breach or situations similar to yours I don't think I've ever had anybody actually swipe my card number and use it for some nefarious purpose.

But I suppose it's the technology that makes everybody curious. I mean my local CVS and even Macy's accepts Google Wallet, and I (generally) find my phone easier to reach than my wallet. There are some instances where you can even use it to pay for your commute, etc.

NFC is one of those technologies that is dying to break out into the mainstream. The early restrictions (and even the carriers blocking it for their own interests) are stifling its adoption, and instead all you see are commercials where people share photos / videos / apps by tapping their phones together in some kind of crazy back-to-back phone dance thing.

So what you have is basically the next Bluetooth. Very cool but limited technology. No doubt that it's useful but seems like it was destined for so much more when people started talking about it.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's actually a good example where I personally would find it useful. I don't often use public transportation here in the Bay Area as it's not very convenient to get to work (and I carpool anyway). But I do have a clipper card that I need to keep loaded with money for the occasional trip to San Francisco or the airport. Their technology sucks so badly that it takes several days for money deposited into the account on their website to be active on the card, and you can't just reload the card at Caltrain stations or bus stops. And I really don't even want to carry around another card, so most of the time it's in a drawer at home, at risk of getting lost or forgotten. Perfect NFC payment case for me.

21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have actually had a card compromised at a restaurant once. Sure just once and the bank put a stop to it immediately as they tried to use the number without a card in a Target... but keeping my hands on things is a concern. This is why I also keep NFC off on my phone until i'm in a situation to use it.

22. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Apparently AMEX wasn't really onboard, I'm sure they will be but it is odd that google didn't totally verify with them in advance of the release.