Google Wallet physical card

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Nov 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    So... this is back in the news again, as Google has started to offer the physical card again for wallet users.

I guess the idea is that you can use the card to make purchases where a swipe is needed, although my understanding is that this would use your "Google Wallet Balance" and not act as a replacement for your actual cards.

The only reason this is noteworthy (if that's the case) is because you can then have "someone" send you money via gmail, and that money would show up as your Google Wallet Balance, which you can then withdraw at an ATM or spend with the physical card rather than deposit back to your bank.

http://googlecommerce.blogspot.sg/2013/11/receive-money-with-google-wallet-spend.html

Mark likes this.
  2. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up. Requested one just in case... not sure what that case is yet, though.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ordered one yesterday, more for my card collection (I save all my old credit cards) than to use...

zphelj and mht_flyer like this.
  4. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    On order as well.

5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you have a good point. I will do the same.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW if you add your Amtrak # to wallet you get 100 free points. Same for Red Mango (you get a $2 voucher)

Mark likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well this looks like it's not as useful as I originally thought it would be.

It's debit only, and can only access the balance on your Google Wallet. Not sure if this is "for now" or by design and "forever" but either way it's a bad thing. That means you can't switch the funding source from Wallet Balance to one of your funding sources, so you can't use it as a "universal credit card" that you can pull out everywhere and just switch things in the backend.

The death blow though is that it looks like there are limits on ATM transactions. Not sure if this is based on the Wallet Balance or some other unknown setting on the account, but this doesn't seem to be disclosed anywhere. This is terrible if you send yourself $1k to manufacture spend then find out you can only withdraw $300 a day from the ATM. :)

iolaire likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    iolaire likes this.