Google To Start Using Your Profile Picture And Name in Ads, Here’s How To Opt Out

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Oct 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.redmondpie.com/google-to...gn=Feed:+RedmondPie+(Redmond+Pie)&utm_content=

With hooks into email, social networking and of course the entire Web, Google knows just about everything there is to know about us, and what we do online.
    Which is probably why its latest revisions to its terms of service caused some people to take notice, and after sifting through the wall of heavy and lengthy text, they were presented with one real issue that has been causing something of a stir online.
    One of Google’s biggest businesses is its advertising business, and the search giant has plans to use our Google+ profiles in conjunction with its online ads to try and help users make the right choice when clicking ads and links around the Internet.

Called ‘endorsements,’ these personalized ads will amount to ads with Google+ users and their faces appearing alongside AdSense ads. Google says this will help people choose products that their friends like, and avoid those they they don’t and the theory is probably a good one, if you ignore some aspects of it. The problem comes when people start to see their faces show up across the Internet and the old creep-factor starts to reach eleven on the scale. Plenty of people are already wary of Google, and such moves will not help their mood.

Read More: http://www.redmondpie.com/google-to-start-using-your-profile-picture-and-name-in-ads-heres-how-to-opt-out/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RedmondPie+%28Redmond+Pie%29&utm_content=

uggboy, MSYgirl and mht_flyer like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read you can opt out. Honestly I don't even use google+, i frankly don't have time for another social media site, twitter and fb are good enough for me :)

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont see this as a big deal. As most google services, you have options.

Have you tried Google+? It's the best of Twitter and Flickr.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Google says this will help people choose products that their friends like"

I don't like/endorse products on sites like G+/Facebook because I hate seeing these types of endorsements in my feed. I have "banned" (muted) friends for liking too much crap and cluttering up my feed with it.

MX, YULtide, viguera and 1 other person like this.
  5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    This will not be in your feed. This has nothing to do with Google+.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea that you can opt out, but personally I kind of like this type of thing...

If I'm looking for a tablet or a restaurant or whatever, and I see that one of my friends previously liked one of the results, I'm much, much more likely to go with that route. For those that didn't follow through, this is what the AdSense ads would look like on Google Maps for example:

[​IMG]

I already rely on this with FourSquare and other places that I see my friends visit. Just recently I was looking for a restaurant recommendation "nearby" while in Orlando and I was going through the results when I saw that two of my friends had checked in at a place nearby a couple of months ago, and this made up my mind about where to go.

LETTERBOY, uggboy and KENNECTED like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Facebook does similar things.

8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    There seems an assumption that I like culinarily, or musically, what my friends like; or family likes, or tastes in "things"

However, I anticipate humorous combinations pop up when you go off-track :eek:;)

uggboy and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think to an extent you're right, because most of the time you won't have the same tastes, but there are situations when you need to rely on the wisdom of the crowd, and those times chances are your friends' opinions weight more than random strangers.

In my case I was looking for a Spanish restaurant near the area I was presently in and had to rely on Google / Foursquare / yelp to at least know where to start. Finding a Spanish place that two friends had both visited and was nearby and had good reviews was significantly more helpful than any random review I could have found.

By the same token, even if it's acquantainces and not close friends, just the fact they visit the place or review a product carries some weight.

uggboy and anileze like this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense. I will trust the judgement (and do so) of people I drink with; than strangers. I think a lot of behavioral theories have gone into making these kinds of selection, and presentation of data (or Ads) by Google Inc.

uggboy and viguera like this.
  11. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Facebook and google plus are two different beast.

The suggestions they are talking about show up when you do a search. They wont show up in your Goggle+ stream.

Currently on Google if you search for something in google or on a map you have the option to show your reviews, this is helpful to people who you have circled

If a friend or someone I trust has been to/checked-in and reviewed a restaurant, I've never dined in, I'm more likely to visit that establishment, than a similar restaurant nearby.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    LETTERBOY, uggboy and viguera like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They are both selling your Like/+1 endorsement. Maybe it doesn't appear (yet) in my G+ stream, but I have no reason to believe that there isn't someone in the GooglePlex thinking about that.

Yes, and every time I look at an app in Play I see one particular coworker's face show up. Apparently he has nothing better to do in life than to like every app I might ever look at. ;)

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/11/you-make-ads-better/

viguera likes this.
  13. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see this as a bad thing. The power to control this is up to you, unlike Facebook.

bigx0, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  14. chafer

chafer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even though both sites let you opt out, the settings keep changing especially when they redo their privacy agreements. I've opted out on both Google+ and Facebook and had both sites "lose my settings" after a new privacy policy was applied by them. In one case, I didn't notice it until I was on another site and saw my picture and where I work listed along with a review I had done and I had never used that picture anywhere else. When I checked, the settings were all reset to the defaults for security and privacy.