Google Plus

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Tenmoc, Jul 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all.
    Wondering if anyone here has access to invite to Google+.

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't need one. Just go here and sign up:
    http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/
    However, they are above capacity now so more members cannot join at the moment. If this works as others I have recently done with Google do, they quickly invite people from the list of you sign up now.

snap, JohnDeere19 and Tenmoc like this.
  3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I have read reports that invites are working again after being shut down the first night.

I have added to the let me know list. Will see how it goes.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. GreyedOut
    Original Member

GreyedOut Silver Member

Status Points:
    Invites currently aren't enabled for me. Good luck getting in.

5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can get you an invite to AltaVista+ ;)

7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hadn't heard of this before. I wonder if it'll be in beta for 10 years...

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it. When they have new cool features they usually open up gradually so they can debug efficiently. That said, they have a habit of retaining "beta" status fomally for a long tiem. remember Gmail was in beta for a year or so, but open signups were permitted almost all that time. Google+ has a huge raftload of new features for them so I suspect they will try not to rush too quickly, especially because it is the precursor for their cloudbooks:)eek: Chromebooks) functions. They've quite a major commitment riding on this. Luckily I am writing this on Chrome:D

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gmail was in beta for ages:

"Gmail was launched as an invitation-only beta release on April 1, 2004[4] and it became available to the general public on February 7, 2007, though still in beta status at that time.[5] The service was upgraded from beta status on July 7, 2009, along with the rest of the Google Apps suite.[6][7] As of November 2010, it had 193.3 million users monthly.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been playing with Google+ for a couple of days now and generally like it. The Circles address a major problem I have with Facebook (the other, general privacy, well... we shall see) - I just don't consider everyone a friend and hate when I get a "friend" request from a former coworker that I haven't met in 10+ years, who I never was close to, and who should give a small rodent's butt about my chats with family.

Scobleizer's take on it is similar: http://scobleizer.com/2011/07/01/why-yo-momma-wont-use-google-and-why-that-thrills-me-to-no-end/

11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. I too have general issue with facebook and all friends in one category. Because I also run a business page on facebook I generally accept more people than I would want in a real social networking site and therefore post to it much less from a personal level.

Chimpy likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I post nothing personal on FB (basic rule: nothing that I wouldn't want anyone on earth to know...)

hulagrrl210 and Tenmoc like this.
  13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand that. Same applies pretty much for anything anywhere. I just mean 99% of my facebook posting is in regards to my business. Very little interaction on a social level.

Chimpy likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's the overall appeal... it's facebook, without the facebook-ness. :)

But Google+ is not without its issues though... there are already privacy implications from all this +1 sharing, where you could share something outside your circle, to people that don't even have Google+, and they could share it to their circles, etc.

It goes without saying that you need to keep an eye on your settings to make sure stuff doesn't get broadcasted to the ends of the Earth without you knowing it. :)

HaveMilesWillTravel and Tenmoc like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, exactly. It quite important (to me) to fully understand what the various settings to, who can see what etc.

I just tried to invite my secondary gmail account, so I can have conversations with myself and experiment with the settings. Alas, no invites/registration possible at the moment as they are over capacity.

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anyone would like to be added just PM me the e-mail address of your google account.

My biggest gripe so far is that you can add anyone to your circles just with their e-mail address and then you can start spamming them. I had to block a person I don't know. I didn't have him in any circles, but he put me in one and started sharing with me. I wasn't sure what else to do but block him.

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah there was a story yesterday or the day before about how you could share outside the circles and people would just "butt in" that you didn't know.

If you have any invites you should start a conga line. :)

18. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    it's not invites. You just share something with someone and that invites them. But since i'm not mean i wouldn't share anything further with such people.

1. Add people to you circle by email addresses.
    2. Share a post to the circle.
    3. Check the option to send them email with content.

Someone did that for me yesterday, but I couldn't get in until today. I've done this for 4 people so far today and all have gotten in just fine, but it is subject to being closed again at any moment.

Tenmoc likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You must be more lucky than me, since I wasn't able to get in with my secondary account that I shared with earlier today.

Or maybe it's true that they are only letting people with a "healthy" social graph in (I think Scoble speculated/posted that somewhere) -- in that case, my 2nd account probably doesn't rank high as its contacts list is rather sparse.

Tenmoc likes this.
  20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possible. I was able to get in via Grace. Thank you all for the comments along the way here today.

viguera and Chimpy like this.
  21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems sporadic but I know people that have been trying to use it for days and can't. I was able to use it internally at work but had problems "inviting" my personal account.

Right now I was able to get in thanks to Grace. I'm not afraid of spam so anybody that wants in send me am email or PM. I already have a MilePoint circle but it's empty. Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

Drop a line to amauri@viguera.net

Tenmoc likes this.
  22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just sent you a quick note.

I am having no luck sending invites out even though I'm following the procedures I have found. Is it possible that you can't invite until a day after getting yours? It is not sending the emails the page says it will.

23. mhf
    Original Member

mhf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they shut down further invites/adds. Because, you know, a small shop like Google doesn't have the IT resources to handle it.

Hopefully they open it up faster than they did for Google Wave, where by the time everyone could get in nobody wanted to.

SC Flier, Tenmoc and viguera like this.
  24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. But it was supposedly shut down the Grace got me in.

I'll see how it goes in the morning.

25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love how much potential there was in Wave, but you're right, it was terrible as a social experiment because you didn't have anybody to create waves with.