Google: Plan your digital afterlife with Inactive Account Manager

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Apr 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2013/04/plan-your-digital-afterlife-with.html

Not many of us like thinking about death — especially our own. But making plans for what happens after you’re gone is really important for the people you leave behind. So today, we’re launching a new feature that makes it easy to tell Google what you want done with your digital assets when you die or can no longer use your account.

The feature is called Inactive Account Manager — not a great name, we know — and you’ll find it on your Google Account settings page. You can tell us what to do with your Gmail messages and data from several other Google services if your account becomes inactive for any reason.

For example, you can choose to have your data deleted — after three, six, nine or 12 months of inactivity. Or you can select trusted contacts to receive data from some or all of the following services: +1s; Blogger; Contacts and Circles; Drive; Gmail; Google+ Profiles, Pages and Streams; Picasa Web Albums; Google Voice and YouTube. Before our systems take any action, we’ll first warn you by sending a text message to your cellphone and email to the secondary address you’ve provided.

Read More: http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2013/04/plan-your-digital-afterlife-with.html

2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this makes me wonder how I can keep my miles and points alive after I die. Either just because I can or so that a family member can use my account to transfer or redeem the miles or points. I would think that the Amex or those types of points would be most at risk as you could lose them if your credit card is cancelled.
    Never hurts to be prepared. I could be today.
    Interesting post. Thanks.

Richard Chen likes this.
  3. Richard Chen
    Original Member

Richard Chen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Accounts of all types, from airlines to hotels to cards and beyond, need this same feature indeed, the idea is so simple yet so so helpful in so many unimagined and imagined ways.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Leave instructions with how to transfer the points into an airline account (with guidance which one for best value) and ask your heirs to do that before canceling the account. And not to notify any of the loyalty programs. And leave your Milepoint account credentials so they can come here for advice on how to best use the miles.

daninstl likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nuuuuuuuuuke my stuff. All of it. :)