Google Maps going offline (that's a good thing)

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Jun 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Announced today during Google's "next dimension" presentation, trying to steal all kinds of thunder from Apple.

One of the biggest announcements (so far) is that Google will once again allow you to download maps of a particular area and save them to your device. This is huge for people that travel a lot and don't have internet access all the time (or you don't want to pay the ridiculous roaming data charges) because it will let you pre-load maps for the regions you'll be visiting and you can then use maps in airplane mode.

No idea what other announcements are coming out, but so far so good.

wrxmom and sobore like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    On what devices? If Apple replaces Google Maps with their own technology on iOS, will Google release a separate iOS app? (and will Apple approve it?)

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Supposedly for "all platforms" with emphasis (of course) on Android and iOS "in the coming weeks" according to Brian McClendon (VP of Maps) but he was VERY quick to dodge any questions about Apple's upcoming switch from Google as a map source on iOS.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/06/google-maps-for-android-gets-offline-support/

My guess is that Google will do what they do... they'll continue to push all the best stuff to Android first, then make it available to other platforms and hope that people choose them instead of the alternatives.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They just have to give me a nice unlocked GSM/LTE phone at Google IO later this month and I'll consider switching. :)

viguera likes this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a Google labs app for maps that will let you do this today, in 10 sq mile pieces.
    It would be great to be able to download maps by state, similar to other products on Android.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if you are at I/O then you know you got a lot more than that... :)

The Maps update rolled out today on Android. I haven't tried it yet but it should be a good tool to have in your travel arsenal if you wanna avoid crazy data overages.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, a Galaxy Nexus roughly meets the "wish list" item ;). The Nexus 7 tablet is nice, too.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    And don't forget the Nexus Q.

But if you're not enthralled by it, eBay is your friend. A few of the Nexus 7 tablets already popping up there after 4:01pm yesterday for $800-1500 if you can believe that. :)

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I know, I schlepped it home last night :)

That's silly. It's the 8gb version which anyone can get in a couple of weeks for $199.