Google Maps For iPhone 5 And iOS 6 Devices Released With Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Transit & Street V

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Dec 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.redmondpie.com/google-ma...d&utm_campaign=Feed:+RedmondPie+(Redmond+Pie)

The wait is over. Months after Google Maps found itself unceremoniously kicked off of iOS 6 devices, Google’s mapping software is back with a vengeance.

Ever since iOS 6 did away with Google’s mapping application in favor of Apple’s own in-house solution people have been waiting impatiently for it to return. There’s little doubt right now that Google Maps is the best map and location software in the business and unfortunately, Apple Maps is some way off the required standard.

Thankfully, that wait for Google Maps to return to our iPhones and iPod touches is finally over, with Google today finally releasing the app to everyone who wants it. A free download via Apple’s App Store, Google Maps for iOS is not only very real, but it’s very much here and thankfully, still very much awesome. It features turn-by-turn navigation, directions, Street View, and imagery.

Read More: http://www.redmondpie.com/google-ma...d&utm_campaign=Feed:+RedmondPie+(Redmond+Pie)

2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yay! I had finally decided to go on and suck it up and go with iOS 6 yesterday afternoon. i'd been delaying because of all the kinks with Apple Maps. Perfect timing by Google!

rwoman likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 :) I'll finally update to iOS 6 as well!

autolycus likes this.
  4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here in Denver, I'm still driving around trying to find Stapleton International Airport. Downloading Google Maps NOW.

autolycus likes this.
  5. jetsfan
    Original Member

jetsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just (reluctantly) switched from iPhone to Android today, one of the many reasons being Google Maps (I wasn't aware of the return of Google Maps). I'm loving the Android OS so far and the new phone in general. It's such a step up from the iPhone. Google Maps on the Android is still better than Google Maps on the iPhone.

ETA: I should add that public transportation directions are very important to me, I guess Apple Maps aren't terrible if your goal is to just find locations (and it does look cooler)

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm happy with Apple Maps. I upgraded after a trip to BKK and wished that I had done it before the trip. The Apple maps had many more business labels in English and appeared to be better. (Also the OFFLINE functionality of Apple maps is a big plus.)

I will download and keep Google maps for access to the transit information (its always amazing to see it work in places like BKK) - and hopefully bike maps either now or later.

I have only once tried to use driving directions so that’s not a factor.

guberif likes this.
  7. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's funny. Just don't go through Rocky Flats by mistake.