Google Maps and "Ground Truth"

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw this a few weeks ago and thought with all the Apple Maps news going around that it was appropriate.

Either way, it's a fascinating look into the inner workings of the Google Maps machinery.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19536269

2. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read this the other day myself. 7,100+ maps ONLY employees. seems crazy... but they are the gold standard for a reason.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but that's what you get when you build things from scratch, rather than outsource stuff like Apple did.

That 7,100 people include everybody though... Street View car drivers, the people that fly the planes for the 3D imaging (rather than them sourcing them from someone), people that draw maps and the ones that make corrections, etc.

By comparison, Apple's 10-K shows that they have 60k employees worldwide, but the great majority of them work retail -- related to the operation of the Apple brick and mortar stores. I think less than 15k people work for Apple in a development / research capacity, compared to the 7k that Google has working on that one project alone.

macbookguy likes this.
  4. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The number working non-retail is closer to 13k actually. Even with Apple outsourcing they started buying companies three years ago. They should have put more emphasis on this project IMHO. And I'm a pretty devoted Apple fan...

viguera likes this.