Google-ITA acquisition

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jaw_24, Apr 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe Google realizes the value that ITA brings. It will be interesting to see all the ways Google uses and presents the ITA data.
    Since Google is such an innovative company I’m expecting big things for the travel community.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Google acquisitions are generally disruptive to the existing products, and I don't know that this would be any different, but chances are that it will take a while for it to be an issue for people that use the matrix.

There are big companies like youtube and even smaller ones like picnick and saynow that have just been rolled into the Google fold, or acquired for the technology/patents with little impact to the user-facing side of things, so who knows maybe that will be the case with ITA.

Then again there are other clear examples (like the acquisition of GrandCentral and its transformation into Google Voice) that completely shut off the existing product and turned it into something else altogether.

Time will tell, I suppose.

4. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was thinking as a casual traveler--would like to see more powerful versions of the Bing price trends, and maybe even make the data more available to developers--this is where you start to get really interesting applications.

5. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the sound of it, they're not trying to change business practices at ITA. All that about extending contracts, old and new, to 2016 makes it sound like they don't want to change the business. It sounds like they want access to the technology and data so that they can mine it. It doesn't sound like the GrandCentral -> Google Voice thing at all. More like YouTube. They own it and have unfettered access to it's data. I hope we end up with more powerful tools in the end, but who knows?

The Juiceman likes this.
  6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. giggy
    Original Member

giggy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure seems to me that google could have simply licensed the technology.......buying it is just to step on their competitors......... evil company

8. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not evil; they realize that it's more valuable to own it. Make shareholders happy.

9. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've had plenty to learn from... IBM, Oracle, Microsoft... just to name a few.
    • I've often thought the same thing about Microsoft... They are many practices of theirs I've not been impressed with, when it comes to smaller companies with solid competing products... But at the same time, they done so much good for the industry too.
    One thing about Google, they seem to do far less hostile takeover then other companies.

That doesn't make this one perfect of not in my eyes, I'll have to look at it more before weighing in on that aspect ;)

bakedpatato likes this.
  10. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pragmatist huh! I like you even more :D Exchange, Office, XNA, not too bad MS :)
    Don't know about Oracle though...they bought Sun for MySQL and not Java or SPARC. They want to own the database market. Matrix just seems like Google's way of challenging Bing Faresearch...I guess.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  11. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Google is always looking for ways to monetize its traffic...will they attempt some sort of Expedia/Orbitz play into the space?

DonV.Smith likes this.
  12. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only REAL problem I had with Oracle was that they were trying so hard to compete in the App Server & related market, were having issues building something themselves and began purchasing smaller companies to build up what they had. The problem is they ran them all into the ground... promising app servers down the drain. I was pretty nervous about the Sun takeover, and then BEA.

Fortunately, BEA was well established with a great product sweet that was highly competitive. They retained key management and the business unit seems to be thriving.

I'm still very impressed with their core offerings around DBM.

13. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, I wouldn't be terribly surprise. Big market, even 1% speaks volumes.

14. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Won't argue the Oracle thing, as I think they wanted Java just as badly as MySQL.

As far as Google buying ITA, it's one more place to put their ads and I'm sure the commercial market is exciting to them.

DonV.Smith likes this.