Google Flight Search goes global

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Mar 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not see this update posted...still waiting for it to be useful OUTSIDE of the US. :)

MSNBC Travel Kit: Google Flight Search goes global

2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    This update makes the tool way more usable to me. Thanks for posting!

yaychemistry and rwoman like this.
  3. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    rwoman likes this.
  4. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Also, does anyone buy the argument that Google's position as the dominant internet search engine gives it an unfair and/or huge advantage in positioning its flight search products (even though they're still in their infancy)?

rwoman likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once they can search from places outside the US, I'm sure it's popularity will grow exponentially! One of the things I really like about SkyScanner is that I can look at flights to/from/within the US.

:)

yaychemistry likes this.
  6. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Sure, but is that because Google may eventually have a superior flight search product, or because they put their product at the top of Google internet searches (as the "FairSearch.org" people claim)?

rwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  7. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why on earth does this only work outbound from the US? What's the difference between searching for a JFK-LHR flight and a LHR-JFK flight??

iolaire, rwoman, yaychemistry and 2 others like this.
  8. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    A good question! But with a disappointing answer...

I'm not in the industry, but from what I gather, pricing airfares is actually a pretty complicated thing, which is related to the fact that the ticket, fare, reservation, and the actual flights are all decoupled from each other (though when you make a purchase, all components have to agree with each other). But that means that its possible to have two different tickets come out at different prices even though they include the exact same flights (and fare buckets too!) depending on how the system chooses to price them (of course we usually only see the lowest price).

That means that knowing the JFK-LHR round trip options doesn't tell you much about the LHR-JFK round trip options. Each origin city has to be indexed separately.

A good primer can be found on the ITA website: http://www.itasoftware.com/technology/bos-sfo.html
    and for even more depth, there are slides presented to a computer science course about pricing airfares : http://www.itasoftware.com/pdf/ComplexityofArlineTravelPlanning_Carl_Sep 03.pdf

iolaire likes this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume it has to do with building the programming, etc., just as it took time to get international flights from the US I have little doubt it'll eventually expand to that point.

10. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but ITA already has a pricing engine that works worldwide in every currency and with every booking city and is what google is using. It makes absolutely no sense.

rwoman likes this.
  11. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I would guess at this point, they're probably trying to get a proof of principle and iron out the features they want before they scale it up to become world-wide. Keep in mind, google flight search is technically still in beta.

rwoman likes this.